Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638454 times)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15480 on: March 27, 2010, 04:56:16 am »

You'll have the raws in a week. Toady has already said that he's not giving them out before then.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15481 on: March 27, 2010, 06:29:55 am »

I stopped playing back around Christmas when it felt like the release was gonna be any day now, but about two weeks ago I got my vigour back and have been running 3x3 fortresses on what I believe is the smallest device in the world capable of playing DF, an UMID mbook 1 from Korea, it's about the size of an NDS  ;)
How's your FPS on that? never heard of a such a tiny laptop like that before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15482 on: March 27, 2010, 07:09:06 am »

I realized that i probably won`t be able to use the Dwarfmanager/Therapist.

Now im sad.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15483 on: March 27, 2010, 07:39:23 am »

WINE works on OS X too...
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15484 on: March 27, 2010, 10:09:05 am »

I know same for me,  unless I could do an anthropology report on dwarves ....
hmmm  well down the road there are definitely some I could do but this one requires live participants

anthropology of cyberspace.
communitites not grouned in physical space but rather spontaneously occuring around a uniting factor.

like this forum. note not everyone here actually even plays DF. There are taboos, social mores, a functioning heirarchy (and a rather egalitarian one if you ask me), shared culture of stories that are actually more similar to oral storytelling, but are written (new type of storytelling? twist on an old one?)

hmmm... you also have an economy, of sorts: NEW CONTENT!
 Running Games, image packs, mods, utilities

there are social services and we help our own, there's the actual fundraising

this place is (like many forums) ripe for an anthropological study, but this one could expand farther to encompass the DF phenomenon in the Real World and talk abotu this virtual community coming into realspace.

ok. enough. I'm sure an Anthro student can catch the thread if they were so interested.

This current one requires real people in the flesh and blood , but something like that is on my list for when I start working on my upper-division  .
Thank you based dwarf.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15485 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:08 am »

WINE works on OS X too...
Only if you have an intel processor. For those of us with the older laptops, there isn't much we can do, except maybe cry.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15486 on: March 27, 2010, 10:29:40 am »

You could run x86 linux in a virtual machine, and in there run wine :p

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15487 on: March 27, 2010, 10:47:55 am »

You can't run x86 programs on a powerpc or powerpc programs on an x86 without emulation. As far as i know, most virtual machines don't emulate that way.

Macs are pretty decent nowadays. Back in the PPC days though, you couldn't run anything made for windows at all. It's one of the reasons I'm still a windows junkie: of all operating systems, it supports the biggest share of the programs I want.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:52:41 am by Urist McCheeseMaker »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15488 on: March 27, 2010, 10:52:37 am »

I wonder how many layers of emulation are possible?
(as in a c64 emulator running under dos, emulated on a mac running wine)
;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15489 on: March 27, 2010, 10:54:55 am »

Depends on the quality of the emulator, Areyar... But I'll bet you can get quite a lot of layers that way, if you're willing to put up with a bit of a hassle. zSnes in DosBox in Wine in Windows in VMware in Linux seems like a nice start, doesn't it?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15490 on: March 27, 2010, 11:32:35 am »

Warhammer651 has been ecstatic lately. He was miserable from a cold lately. he had his wisdom teeth come in recently. he suffered from tooth pains lately. he got a bad grade on a test lately. He got in trouble with his parents recently. He heard that an update to a game will be released soon.

Just hearing about a possible time frame for the new (and incredibly buggy) version has made the last week so much better.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15491 on: March 27, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

I stopped playing back around Christmas when it felt like the release was gonna be any day now, but about two weeks ago I got my vigour back and have been running 3x3 fortresses on what I believe is the smallest device in the world capable of playing DF, an UMID mbook 1 from Korea, it's about the size of an NDS  ;)
How's your FPS on that? never heard of a such a tiny laptop like that before.

http://www.dynamism.com/notebooks/umid-mbook-m1.shtml?APC=P4500&gclid=CPKL-bys2aACFZdM5QodbihJBA

After looking over the specs, it's just a tiny(*smirk*) step down from a netbook in terms of performance.  Looks like a 1.33 GHz Atom processor and I think my netbook has a 1.6.  It doesn't say how much memory but I imagine it's acceptable.  Surprisingly the resolution is the same as my netbook; 1024x600.

I've gotten DF to run on my netbook at a decent speed using a low population and a 4x4 embark.  With a few tweaks it runs just fine.  The only problem is the resolution is a little too small for the nice graphics sets.  They still work but they end up getting squished.  Still it's good enough for playing DF on the go.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15492 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:59 am »

It is indeed possible, I can attest, my earlier despondency on the subject of DF not fitting on my netbook was caused by me using resolution (of DF) suited to my desktop monitor... I have DF on a USB stick for easy travelling. :)
Cant comment much on speed though. Havent alowed myself to play. :(
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15493 on: March 27, 2010, 01:11:10 pm »

You can't run x86 programs on a powerpc or powerpc programs on an x86 without emulation. As far as i know, most virtual machines don't emulate that way.

Macs are pretty decent nowadays. Back in the PPC days though, you couldn't run anything made for windows at all. It's one of the reasons I'm still a windows junkie: of all operating systems, it supports the biggest share of the programs I want.

You could use QEMU, which supports emulating quite a few architectures, including x86.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15494 on: March 27, 2010, 01:13:31 pm »

GAH!!! Everything is converging on April! I will have this to play, the beta of Elemental:WoM, a bunch of RL stuff, and of course the completion of my dynamic collision project! So many things to do, so little time!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1065