Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637582 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15300 on: March 26, 2010, 02:02:54 am »

I'm confused as to what will be actually missing without the merge. The way it reads to me at the moment is that we will have all new features and no existing ones, which I'm sure is wrong.
He's merging it with this version, which consists primarily of graphical optimizations and interface improvements.
Not necessarily. The biggest change for me is the keyboard input rewrite. I didn't like having to hit my keys more slowly to avoid having button presses dropped. The speed boost is important too, but nothing else matters much to me. However, if DF2010 is released unmerged, I will likely just dabble with the Arena or something, and not make a proper fort until a proper version gets released.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15301 on: March 26, 2010, 02:49:38 am »

Resizing on the fly, is actually really nice.

DrDada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15302 on: March 26, 2010, 03:35:14 am »

i really hope toady gives us some updates on the devlog. I mean the release could be today or in a few weeks and his last posts sound like he only needs to fix one bug to release it.
Just a little "No release today/this week/month/year" would help me to stay sane and let me do my work without checking the page many times a day.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15303 on: March 26, 2010, 03:45:54 am »

i really hope toady gives us some updates on the devlog. I mean the release could be today or in a few weeks and his last posts sound like he only needs to fix one bug to release it.
Just a little "No release today/this week/month/year" would help me to stay sane and let me do my work without checking the page many times a day.
Yeah, same here. Having an approximate release date would be nice. I'd like to know if the Mac (ppc) version will be released at the same time too. No point for me in keeping checking the forums, if it's going to be released two months later anyway.  :-\

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15304 on: March 26, 2010, 04:30:31 am »

Qiu, I hear you. If the mac version comes out later I think I might strangle someone everyone.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15305 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:08 am »

If the mac version comes out later I think I might strangle someone everyone.

Should have thought about that earlier and bought a proper computer.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:37:22 am by assimilateur »

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15306 on: March 26, 2010, 05:55:39 am »

Come on, this is no place for OS wars. It would be annoying to lack a Mac release, but again, DF is programmed in something like C+ (I'm not sure exactly what) and only takes a tiny file to port. The terminal program is only 4KB on my computer.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #15307 on: March 26, 2010, 05:57:43 am »

Agreed, you can't even right click. *or is that an old joke...* 
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15308 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:11 am »

Agreed, you can't even right click. *or is that an old joke...* 

Way old. Waaaaay old.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15309 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:48 am »

Come on, this is no place for OS wars. It would be annoying to lack a Mac release, but again, DF is programmed in something like C+ (I'm not sure exactly what) and only takes a tiny file to port. The terminal program is only 4KB on my computer.
Porting is not quite as simple as you make it seem. Thankfully for DF it doesn't seem to be a big concern. The 40d# versions use SDL for input and OpenGL for graphics, both of which are cross-platform. The only non-portable code then is the window code, which wouldn't change between versions. So I don't imagine there will be any significant difference in release times; Toady probably just needs access to a PC, a Mac and a 'Nix box for compiling, and I think he'd probably release all those versions simultaneously.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #15310 on: March 26, 2010, 07:52:06 am »

To be honest, setting a release date even a aprox./guess date is dangerous.

I mean if someone in the forums make an aproximation and say it will be about The 37:th of Rocktober and it's not, no one will care.

But if god himself put his finger to the ground and say "It might be this date!" and it pass, people will have hearth attacks and other stress related dissorders over it. ^^
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15311 on: March 26, 2010, 07:57:07 am »

The forums did come up with a relatively difinitive release date of around the end of February.

As you can tell, such deadlines are difficult to predict and impossible to upkeep.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15312 on: March 26, 2010, 08:34:42 am »

ITS OFFICIAL! the great one himself said windows release is expected in about a week!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15313 on: March 26, 2010, 08:41:40 am »

ITS OFFICIAL! the great one himself said windows release is expected in about a week!

Ah, I should say that I was talking about 17 releases over a short period being a bandwidth problem.  I think a release a week will probably be okay as long as I've got a few mirrors working.  I'm not really sure, since we haven't had a delay this long for this many people before.

If you're talking about that ^ post, then he was talking about how frequently releases will come AFTER the DF2010 release, not when the 2010 release would be. If that's not the case, then where did you here this? I must know!

Edit: Gah! My devlog won't update for some reason. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:45:32 am by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15314 on: March 26, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

Quote from: Toady One The Great in the devlog
The current situation is that I expect a (buggy!) Windows release in about a week, with the 40d# merge commencing at that time (or within a few days of the release). This is a bit of a change of plan, since I was originally going to release for all operating systems at once, but I feel like I'm going to get even more bogged down if I don't do it this way and the initial pre-merge release will give us a control to work with in the same way that 40d can be compared to 40d#. The initial merge release shouldn't take too long though, and it will be the top priority aside from the worst catastrophic crashes and things of that nature. I know the merge changes make the game playable for many of you when it otherwise isn't.

Yay!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1065