Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636861 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15150 on: March 24, 2010, 07:43:13 am »

RELEASE
<3

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: March 24, 2010, 07:43:33 am »

Ah, I should say that I was talking about 17 releases over a short period being a bandwidth problem.  I think a release a week will probably be okay as long as I've got a few mirrors working.  I'm not really sure, since we haven't had a delay this long for this many people before.

So I suppose we shouldn't all be thinking the release is imminent, then? That's certainly what I got out of the latest dev_now, at any rate.

And guys, make sure you're reading that sentence right. He's not saying "in a week".

Arrgh. Damn you, prepositions!

<Shatner-esque pose looking skywards> INNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:45:54 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:18 am »

Only one major crash left to fix? Release.. it's close? Holy shit.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: March 24, 2010, 08:04:47 am »

Is the Mac Version gonna come out the same time as the PC version?
oh god i certainly hope so. i didn't even think about that. now you're scaring me.  :-\

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:14 am »

Torrents are a horrible network protocol. :(

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: March 24, 2010, 08:34:10 am »

Compared to what?  SMTP?  If you're gonna crusade against a protocol, pick that one.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: March 24, 2010, 08:52:32 am »

So, just to confirm, all that's left to do now is fix this mysterious crash bug, fix some weird little bugs as they come up, and make the 40d19 merge? Also, is there any chance that DF will get more sane version numbering anytime soon?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: March 24, 2010, 09:06:55 am »

So, just to confirm, all that's left to do now is fix this mysterious crash bug, fix some weird little bugs as they come up, and make the 40d19 merge? Also, is there any chance that DF will get more sane version numbering anytime soon?

The version number is actually more sane than most. See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Version_number for a breakdown. In fact, you might be able to predict the new version number.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: March 24, 2010, 09:15:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Got it! Must be a new game. So my answers are:

Back to topic:
Will we be able to use totems as statues? Will the trade depot "take goods menu" have a new category for them and the mugs, instead of just searching them by key-words?
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #15160 on: March 24, 2010, 09:54:21 am »

... release ... week ...

And guys, ... you're reading that sentence right. ... "in a week".

A Weeek!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #15161 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:41 am »

Oh, sure, if you make it sound trivial.. Just look how long it's been for the two greens in that category.

Note to everyone: Sheesh! Cool down.

Also, version numbering is very sane. What we need is release titles for major bocks (2D, 3D, 40d, df2010, etc), which will become less of an issue with the promised faster release cycle.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09:29 am »

... release ... week ...

And guys, ... you're reading that sentence right. ... "in a week".

A Weeek!

I knew it, it sounded like the release was mere days away!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: March 24, 2010, 10:11:29 am »

Oh, sure, if you make it sound trivial.. Just look how long it's been for the two greens in that category.
On the other hand, since it seems that Baughn is working on a 40d20 release still (dat's a lotta dice, mang), there seems to be a possibility that the merge won't happen until after the "2010" release, and we'll get a, say, 55a1* beforehand.

*55a being a rough guesstimate by Footkerchief much earlier in this thread.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:41 am »

I would be okay with having bugfix releases every week or so, sounds like Toady has most of the bugs dealt with.

The weekly updates might cause problems with the succession/community game forts, depending on what it is, but I assume all of the savebreaking stuff is already made and so won't cause issues that way.

Edit: fixed wierd typo, heh
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:37:21 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 1065