Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636781 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15105 on: March 24, 2010, 01:44:20 am »

.torrent ftw
Just managed not to simulpost this.  Started hosting all my software on torrents a few years back, no need now to upset my hosting co, or upset my customers by using FilePlanet or some other horrorsite.

Especially during the early bug-crushing stage, where there's likely to be several releases in a short timespan.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15106 on: March 24, 2010, 01:46:00 am »

trouble is that this doesn't allow for pushing people to the correct current versions. I'd think Toady might be worried about that.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15107 on: March 24, 2010, 01:54:55 am »

I like the idea of a torrent for the first two or so days of release and then a mirror download. If its organized correctly the ease of torrents would help a lot.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #15108 on: March 24, 2010, 02:18:57 am »

I like the idea of a torrent for the first two or so days of release and then a mirror download. If its organized correctly the ease of torrents would help a lot.

You can have both. "web seeds" are solution here. They work as normal mirrors from people who do not use torrent, torrent users can use them as permanent seeds.

It is especially nice for brand new or fairly old torrents as webseed is always available.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15109 on: March 24, 2010, 02:24:05 am »

Yeah, if he put it up as a torrent - which is very, very easy - and asked people to download that if possible, I'd download the torrent. He'd save so much on bandwidth.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:20 am »

Chalk me up as another who would torrent to save Toady some bandwidth

Another alternative might be something like Wuala (www.wuala.com), which gives you 1Gb for free.  Only needs Java on the client end, so no need to download a client.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: March 24, 2010, 02:42:00 am »

Ahem. Dropbox. 2Gb free, no sort of upload/download problems whatsoever. I'll put the new version up on mine when it comes out.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:18 am »

Note: I haven't read all of the previous green writing, but~ Footkerchief will surely quote something for me irately.

Re: Dev now, 03/20/2010 - Military and swimming.Will military dwarves not consider swimming through deep water, will they swim through deep water if their skill level is high enough, or will they swim through deep water regardless?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:32 am »

The fact that according to the devlog that militaries would crawl down ramps into deep water (something they'd never do before) suggests that they'll go through water now if the can.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: March 24, 2010, 02:57:19 am »

I'm hoping for an April first release, then everyone will think its a joke.

Also one willing to Torrent to reduce the bandwidth requirements.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: March 24, 2010, 04:00:27 am »

I'm hoping for an April first release, then everyone will think its a joke.

Also one willing to Torrent to reduce the bandwidth requirements.

Ditto on both counts, though my heart tells me I'd welcome an earlier release. Torrent would be a great option (not to mention speedy).

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: March 24, 2010, 04:05:52 am »

I think the issue of version control out weighs the benefit bandwidth cost.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:34 am »

What exactly is the version control issue?

When this gets released there will be a link on the frontpage: Download latest version here (torrent)

A few weeks later we have a new version and the torrent-link gets replaced with the new one, what is the big deal?

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: March 24, 2010, 04:33:57 am »

I would be fine with a torrent download. And I think the DF comunity is quite able to check a version number to ensure they get the up-to-date version.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: March 24, 2010, 04:39:25 am »

What exactly is the version control issue?

When this gets released there will be a link on the frontpage: Download latest version here (torrent)

A few weeks later we have a new version and the torrent-link gets replaced with the new one, what is the big deal?
Even better. Doesn't a reuploaded torrent get automatically updated? If so, and if you just keep your torrent client running, you'll get a new version as soon as the torrent is updated. Naturally, the torrent would also contain all previous DF versions.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1065