Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636620 times)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15090 on: March 23, 2010, 10:37:29 pm »

The Book of Revelation reads like a Let's Play.
Step 1. Name dwarf Jesus.
Step 2. Add [GRASP] to mouth tag.
Step 3. Equip sword in mouth.

Ta-da, Revelation in three easy steps.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15091 on: March 23, 2010, 10:42:10 pm »

If I may take a moment to summarize the overall feel of this forum at present:

DF Community is taken by a fey mood!
DF Community has claimed a computer.
DF Community screams "I must have Dwarf Fortress!"
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15092 on: March 23, 2010, 10:44:12 pm »

DF Community has gone stark raving mad!

fix'd that for you.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: March 23, 2010, 10:48:45 pm »

fix'd that for you.

But DF Community is already stark raving mad.  It is kinda hard for it to get any worse.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »

fix'd that for you.

But DF Community is already stark raving mad.  It is kinda hard for it to get any worse.
Perhaps we shall go stark raving sane?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: March 23, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »

fix'd that for you.

Perhaps we shall go stark raving sane?
Hordes of DF players going casually about their daily business, chatting amiably and putting on clothes?

Ninjabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:20 pm »

It somehow feels like DF is being pushed indefinitely further and further away, but also feels like it's right around the corner. All the time since half a year ago, at least.

Almost Orwellian.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #15097 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:33 pm »

Today we wanted to see how the hospital zones worked out over there in a real fortress environment, so Zach took his fort and made a dwarf-dropping device. After a few false starts, we got a dwarf with a compound fracture in his left hand. One of the caretakers wanted to clean the dwarf off but kept dumping the water next to the dwarf, over and over. Once that was sorted out, surgery began. The dwarf Zach had selected didn't have any surgical experience. As I was watching, blood splattered on the walls and floor, and another dwarf ran over to diagnose the patient again, while the dabbling surgeon moved between repairing the compound fracture and trying to stop bleeding from malpractice. Eventually it was time to suture up the wound, and the dabbling surgeon did this... then again... then again... our poor patient had four sutures in his left wrist before I got the bug figured out. Bandaging worked out fine, but I had screwed up the meal requests for patients that can move under their own power, so while the patient was waiting for a splint to be constructed in the workshops the caretakers left him to die of thirst. I got the splint together just in time, the caretaker put it on correctly, and the patient jumped out of bed and ran to get a drink.

I couldn't breathe for a solid minute.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15098 on: March 23, 2010, 11:57:52 pm »

On the 'animalmen' thing, can I get this clarified-- is 'animalmen' just a catch-all term that could mean ANYTHING-men or will they largely be based of off existing creatures? Like, could there be... I don't know, microclinemen? I know the new HFS or Forgotten Beasts or whatever may be based off of materials and so on, but is there a restriction on the animalmen generation?

Not greened because I imagine the community can clarify.
Ok, so with templates you can load the traits of another creature and then just change the traits you want to. Basically it is fast and easy. If you wanted to make a fish man and the only difference was that it had arms and legs then you load some fish template and add arms and legs to it- all that other stuff like how dwarves like it for it's fish lips and having a swim bladder or whatever was in the fish template is there automatically instead of you having to type it all out or copy and paste. The real advantage is that you can change the template and update a bunch of creatures instead of having to go and edit them all by hand but that's bordering on programmer knowledge laymen wouldn't care about.

So yes, it's humanoid forms of other creatures. Certain things can take almost any type of material to make their skin out of and such (good luck against steel anything) but you won't see basalt earth elementals roaming around, or at least not in the context we're talking about. The rocks are materials and those are a different sort of thing from creatures, which I hope you can tell from the previous paragraph.

You could make an animate stone man template and then use that to speedily make a bunch of custom creatures made out of whatever types of stone if you want but you'd still have to type out the relevant text for each one and stick it in a file in the right folder.

so a release before the end of March -- hell, even before the end of this week -- is quite likely.
And so it begins.

-_-

Intriguingly, most earlier animalmen were vermin derived (ratmen, antmen, olmmen, slugmen, batmen etc.) Never seen any catgirls, elephantmen, lionians, gatorpeople or snowmen.
...I wonder if all the animen in a camp will be of one type or a mix of various mutants?
I seem to have slight memories of Tigermen.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: March 24, 2010, 12:07:01 am »

Intriguingly, most earlier animalmen were vermin derived (ratmen, antmen, olmmen, slugmen, batmen etc.) Never seen any catgirls, elephantmen, lionians, gatorpeople or snowmen.
...I wonder if all the animen in a camp will be of one type or a mix of various mutants?
I seem to have slight memories of Tigermen.

Theres also the Werewolves if you want to think of them as Wolfmen.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15100 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:46 am »

Woah, latest dev log makes many promises. :0

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15101 on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:51 am »

Woah, latest dev log makes many promises. :0

Promises of glourius bug squashing, soon™.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15102 on: March 24, 2010, 01:19:11 am »

Quote from: Toady
The main issue now is a frequent random crash that has appeared that I'd reeeeaaaaally like to have cleaned up -- we caught one of them just now that happened when an old mayor needed to have mandates cancelled after losing an election. There still one that happens in younger forts though. Testers are on their seventeenth version overall, and I imagine it'll be that way for the rest of you as well once I get it sorted out, bandwidth permitting.
(emphasis mine)

Wait, does this mean that it will be out when he fixes this crash?  :o

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15103 on: March 24, 2010, 01:33:05 am »

Potentially. He'll need to sort out hosting this behemoth and making sure the servers don't crash even if youre right, so it may be some time yet.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15104 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:47 am »

.torrent ftw
Pages: 1 ... 1005 1006 [1007] 1008 1009 ... 1065