Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636629 times)

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15075 on: March 23, 2010, 09:21:04 pm »

Quote from: Toady
The main issue now is a frequent random crash that has appeared that I'd reeeeaaaaally like to have cleaned up -- we caught one of them just now that happened when an old mayor needed to have mandates cancelled after losing an election. There still one that happens in younger forts though. Testers are on their seventeenth version overall, and I imagine it'll be that way for the rest of you as well once I get it sorted out, bandwidth permitting.

Ooooh, does this sound like one more crash fix and we can all get our grubby paws on it to anyone else?  Figures, right when I have to start crew training for census work...

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: March 23, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »

The main issue now is a frequent random crash that has appeared that I'd reeeeaaaaally like to have cleaned up -- we caught one of them just now that happened when an old mayor needed to have mandates cancelled after losing an election. There still one that happens in younger forts though. Testers are on their seventeenth version overall, and I imagine it'll be that way for the rest of you as well once I get it sorted out, bandwidth permitting.

It's coming! Tremble, mortals!

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: March 23, 2010, 09:47:53 pm »

Sounds to me like we have confirmation of testers in the plural!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: March 23, 2010, 09:51:01 pm »

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the seven living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »

. One of the templates he showed was a sort of anthropomorphiser kinda  deal, and there was some confusion with people thinking that you could  create a template, and the game would automatically apply it to some  creatures.

This wasnt confusion. I asked actually if this template could (instead of asuming it will) be used to generate animal-man fitting into the biome.

Well toady i hope you swat that bugs and crashes soon. Also i would say that you recommend - on the mainpage - to use one of the mirrors instead of your own server so your bandwith doesnt gets blocked to much.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:02 pm »

fixed up some temperature check code that sped things up a bit

More speed is good, yea.

It's coming! Tremble, mortals!

Sounds like its only DAYS away from release! :) :)

I did just make a fort do a fight to the death worthy of armok with tons of chunks and body parts down several z-levels below the death platform of sparring.

I'm probably going to do another fort, maybe mess around with a few things, no megaprojects though.

@SirPenguin: Um, nice, whatever that was.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:55:35 pm by smjjames »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »

It could very well be the last thing he has to sort out; aside from the 40d# merge, the other three items on the list all really fall under the category of "bugs, issues, and that kind of stuff," and Toady seems to imply that the mystery crash is the last issue he needs to solve.

Additionally, I think he mentioned somewhere that the 40d# merge might not make it into the first release, so a release before the end of March -- hell, even before the end of this week -- is quite likely.

On the other hand, by "I imagine it'll be that way for the rest of you as well," he could just be referring to the possibility that once the public release of the new version finally comes out we'll go through 17 bugfix versions in the first month before he gets to putting more features in.

On the other hand, "once I get it sorted out" is a very intriguing phrase indeed.

EDIT: oh bloody hell, I still need to finish my current fortress. Maybe the long-ass bridge over a broad, 15-level pit need only be a long-ass bridge over a broad, 5-level pit.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:58:48 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: March 23, 2010, 09:59:36 pm »

On the 'animalmen' thing, can I get this clarified-- is 'animalmen' just a catch-all term that could mean ANYTHING-men or will they largely be based of off existing creatures? Like, could there be... I don't know, microclinemen? I know the new HFS or Forgotten Beasts or whatever may be based off of materials and so on, but is there a restriction on the animalmen generation?

Not greened because I imagine the community can clarify.

It's only animals, and iirc only non-vermin animals (at the moment).
Intriguingly, most earlier animalmen were vermin derived (ratmen, antmen, olmmen, slugmen, batmen etc.) Never seen any catgirls, elephantmen, lionians, gatorpeople or snowmen.
...I wonder if all the animen in a camp will be of one type or a mix of various mutants?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:02:43 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: March 23, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »

Bandwidth problems?!?!? THIS MEANS PREPARING FOR RELEASE!

A hint: don't host it directly on bay12games - only host links to mirrors; I'm sure people will be willing to mirror it for awhile

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:07 pm »

EDIT: oh bloody hell, I still need to finish my current fortress. Maybe the long-ass bridge over a broad, 15-level pit need only be a long-ass bridge over a broad, 5-level pit.

Or set your dwarves to speed 0 and finish the 15 z level pit and go out spectactularily, somehow.

Anyways, I was thinking of maybe messing around with archetecture or practice some with mechanic stuff.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: March 23, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Just for the record, animal men can be and are generated from vermin. Because the physical structure of vermin is now defined in the raws, making template that turns a vermin into an animal man is as easy as it is for a large creature.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: March 23, 2010, 10:09:27 pm »

Untelligent, is this the fort that you keep dropping the occasional screenshot of in the VF and SS threads with the epic towers on the steep mountain and the hanging jails and whatnot? Have you ever uploaded it to the DFMA, or will you when you're done? I'd love to take a closer look at it.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: March 23, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the seven living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

I lol'd.  I'm assuming you're referencing that DF2010's release will be heralding the apocolypse?
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »

I lol'd.  I'm assuming you're referencing that DF2010's release will be heralding the apocolypse?

Heralding seems unnecessary... More like "the direct cause of"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: March 23, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »

The Book of Revelation reads like a Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 1065