Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636472 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #15045 on: March 23, 2010, 05:16:04 pm »

Well, the last several pages show this topic has clearly outlived its usefulness. Time to lock it and move on, I think

Right. Toady has himself said that he wants to avoid such megathreads - on the other hand it was usefull for getting questions answered regarding changes in the new release. A Fotf for bugfix releases would be a bit much but for releases with multiple feature additions it would be recommended.
Thus i say we wouldneed a new Fotf but with a different infra-structure. For example would it be very usefull to document all "question answering" posts in the op.

This thread has us also enlightened on some of the inner workings of df which was definitely a very nice thing.

While I would agree with you, its not yet time to lock it and move on as the new release hasn't come yet.

Yeah, we still got us a few hundred pages to go.

(hopefully not :P)
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15046 on: March 23, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »

I just went through all the pages from 1000+ onwards and counted 7 posts positive and 12 posts negative towards the concept of page-counting/release prediction games.  It's not surprising (or really a terrible thing IMO) that reaching page 1000 using standard settings is something which would be noted.  But right now those complaining about the noise are actually making almost twice as much noise.  Myself included, but I'd prefer to think of it as meta-noise.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15047 on: March 23, 2010, 05:38:42 pm »

Having a questions and direct answers thread (the 'primary' thread) and a parallel thread that's used for nonsense discussions of the primary thread is an easy option that comes to mind. Without some sort of babble thread, though, there'll be like seven times as many "General comment on today's dev_now update!" threads. It'd make sifting through all the questions much easier for Toady, anyhow.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15048 on: March 23, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »

Henceforth anyone who posts in this thread should make a donation in parallel.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: March 23, 2010, 06:29:06 pm »

Henceforth anyone who posts in this thread should make a donation in parallel.

df isn't multithreaded; it's not parallel.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: March 23, 2010, 06:38:13 pm »

No.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: March 23, 2010, 06:56:12 pm »

I wonder if dwarf fortress will ever get dynamic 'pools' of items to start with, with which all kinds of mundane creatures and plants can be made?
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:35 pm »

I wonder if dwarf fortress will ever get dynamic 'pools' of items to start with, with which all kinds of mundane creatures and plants can be made?
errr... what?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: March 23, 2010, 07:01:11 pm »

He was really far even as decided to suggest use even something want to do look more.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: March 23, 2010, 07:04:48 pm »

He was really far even as decided to suggest use even something want to do look more.
Excuse me, I don't think I understood that.  Somehow, the words just don't link up to me.  Could someone explain?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Future 之f the Fortress: List 之f Remaining Items
« Reply #15055 on: March 23, 2010, 07:05:18 pm »

Quote from: Bryan Derksen link=題opic=30026.msg1104224#msg1104224 date=1269362821
井ell I, for one, 着on't 見ee the big significance about 頁age 1000. It's just an arbitrary 数umber and as others have 鋭ointed out it varies depending on your settings anyway.

Besides, 吾 got on 頁age 800. So 吾 着on't 要eed to 職ost some meaningless arbitrary 職ost to get on 頁age 1000 to feel important. :)

You must be a hoot on birthdays and new year.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: March 23, 2010, 07:06:05 pm »

I think people are going crazy.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:51 pm »

I think people are going crazy.

Yeah, the last three or four posts have just been utter nonsense.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future 之f the Fortress: List 之f Remaining Items
« Reply #15058 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:32 pm »

Quote from: Bryan Derksen link=題opic=30026.msg1104224#msg1104224 date=1269362821
井ell I, for one, 着on't 見ee the big significance about 頁age 1000. It's just an arbitrary 数umber and as others have 鋭ointed out it varies depending on your settings anyway.

Besides, 吾 got on 頁age 800. So 吾 着on't 要eed to 職ost some meaningless arbitrary 職ost to get on 頁age 1000 to feel important. :)

You must be a hoot on birthdays and new year.

Whoa, what the hell happened to the character encoding in that post?

Anyway, the issue isn't that people care, it's that this thread has become full of completely useless spam.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: March 23, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »

Let me clarify this.  I don't think this is a useless question, just one in need of interpretation. 
Of course, if I interpret wrongly, then I get to take full credit for this question.  Which may not be good...

Basically, could a site get a "pool" of things that are related to the spheres that are present, from which creatures and plants could be randomized from. 

So instead of a completely random animal and biome generator, the randomness would be restricted depending on the biome and spheres available.  (eg. carapace/rock-like bark would be associated with savage areas)
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1065