Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636138 times)

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14970 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:37 am »

Besides, supposedly there are still four items to ticked off before release:

# Explore a few other (very minor) compat issues
# Any remaining tests
# Handle a few misc. bug reports and minor interface requests that have arisen
# Merge with the 40d# stuff
[/quote]

Few more than that if you expand all the spoilers

(999th page woo hoo)
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14971 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:52 am »

As tempting as it is to get all excited about the possibility, especially with dev_now's recent silence, of an imminent release at 1000 pages I think the fact that the merge still has yet to be done puts a pretty stiff damper on things.  Now, true, he could be working around the clock trying to get it all squared now that he's this close, buuuut... I'd imagine it would turn out to be a pretty involved undertaking.  The sort of thing that never goes as smoothly as best-case, with all sorts of additional bugs features to work through.  And I'd imagine we'd get some sort of dev_now post that it's being worked on at some point since it's such a major milestone.
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14972 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:34 am »

I don't think I'm alone in that I don't really care if the release is buggy, I'm just so excited to play the new version I'll happily put up with crashes and clothes mistakes and whatnot. I just want to explore the new underground.

Here's hoping the next dev_now is going to be the release, as unlikely as it may be.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14973 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:06 am »

They used to use alcohol to sedate a person before surgery in pre-anesthetic times. Sadly, I don't see this having the same effect in dwarves. Is it going to be simply a case of "hold still and try not to bite off your tongue"?

usually they had you bite down on something, as well.

"I'm going to have to operate. Here, bite down on this piece of wood"
*CHOMP*
"WOW. Uhm. Nice bite-strength. Uhm... We're going to need something stronger than wood here, aren't we?"
"That was just Bomrek AxeTeeth, you amputated his arms last year, so he learned to fight with his teeth. He regularly bites through goblin armour"

...and then Bomrek goes on to teach a night course in toothy combat.

Giving rise to the skillset, "Legendary Nom-nom-er".

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14974 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:40 am »

Haha, I wish that was true, opsneakie. The next dev log will probably be more obscure bug fixes that we couldn't even think existed.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: March 23, 2010, 11:28:53 am »

Not to seem off topic from dwarf fortress...  Anyone know if you assign what beds are hosipital beds or is it like the current version?  Cause being able to make a room specifically for surgury would be pretty good, so blood doesn't cover other healing dwarves..
Yeah, there's a new hospital zone now. All furniture within it is set aside for medical use.

What he meant there was, if you would be able to assign different hospital areas. As in 'not operating the injured directly at their beds, in front of a watching crowd'.
You can deal with half of that by just designing your hospital to have walls between the beds.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14976 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:53 am »

Yeah, I know. *sigh*. We can still hope though, right? Like, maybe Toady's just waiting to release until this thread hits 1000 pages?

It will probably be something more along the lines of "animals were freaking out due to caves placed many levels below them" or something, but maybe at the end it will say, "since that's fixed, here's the new version"

*desperately fans tiny pathetic flame of hope*
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14977 on: March 23, 2010, 11:31:40 am »

I know the feeling :(
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: March 23, 2010, 11:35:19 am »

Yeah, I know. *sigh*. We can still hope though, right? Like, maybe Toady's just waiting to release until this thread hits 1000 pages?

It will probably be something more along the lines of "animals were freaking out due to caves placed many levels below them" or something, but maybe at the end it will say, "since that's fixed, here's the new version"

This all feels a lot like the doomsayers talking about when the world is going to end. I got well enough worked up for it back at y2k and nothing happened, then I watched a bunch of other end of the world claims come and go.By this point the 2012 thing is just annoying.

With the "release at particular time" stuff I got sick of these predictions back in december when so many people were hoping for a christmas release. It just doesn't end and after we pass this page people are going to find some other goalpost to anticipate up to.

Why can't we just let that goalpost not be a specific number and just celebrate when the event happens?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14979 on: March 23, 2010, 11:38:51 am »

I suppose it's possible... If everyone stops posting just before page 1000, giving Toady time to finish.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14980 on: March 23, 2010, 11:39:54 am »

This all feels a lot like the doomsayers talking about when the world is going to end. I got well enough worked up for it back at y2k and nothing happened, then I watched a bunch of other end of the world claims come and go.By this point the 2012 thing is just annoying.

With the "release at particular time" stuff I got sick of these predictions back in december when so many people were hoping for a christmas release. It just doesn't end and after we pass this page people are going to find some other goalpost to anticipate up to.

Why can't we just let that goalpost not be a specific number and just celebrate when the event happens?

But predictions are part of the waiting of anything, even if we know that the chances of it being true are tiny. It's something that happens naturally, there's no way to stop it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:41:44 am by Orkel »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14981 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:04 am »

There's no way people have the self control not to grab page 1000.

But predictions are part of the waiting of anything, even if we know the chances of it being true are tiny. It's something that happens naturally, there's no way to stop it.
Doesn't mean you can stop me hating them either.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:46:57 am by Shoku »

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

There's no way people have the self control not to grab page 1000.
thats right. and i know whos going to get it

EDIT: fail for sagabal, he was beat by 6 seconds
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:47:53 am by LoneJedi7 »
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Kadath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14983 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:57 am »

Elves > Dwarves

You know it's true.

Sagabal

• Bay Watcher
  • Komrade!
    • View Profile