Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635949 times)

Nuclearjohnny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14910 on: March 22, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »

I believe that if your remove all [BREATHE] parts, they will not need to breathe at all. That may cause your demon fish to walk on land though.
Still wouldn't be as terrifying as the carp. Unless you mod the carp to secrete blood and walk on land, then Armok save us all...

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14911 on: March 22, 2010, 05:25:23 pm »

I believe that if your remove all [BREATHE] parts, they will not need to breathe at all. That may cause your demon fish to walk on land though.
Still wouldn't be as terrifying as the carp. Unless you mod the carp to secrete blood and walk on land, then Armok save us all...

Now that's a sight I would like to see.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14912 on: March 22, 2010, 06:03:13 pm »

Wonder if you could somehow get Good Biome fish to secrete booze, and effectively have Booze rivers in Good Biomes.

A Dwarf can Dream...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14913 on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:04 pm »

Wonder if you could somehow get Good Biome fish to secrete booze, and effectively have Booze rivers in Good Biomes.

A Dwarf can Dream...

and the aptly named goldfish. Maybe in magma pools?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14914 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:59 pm »

You could make them secret booze, but it wouldn't mix with the water, since booze isn't tracked as a water contamination type. If you had them swim in lava, you might be able to get plumes of boiling booze, but I'm not sure on that. If you managed to kill one of these guys in adventurer mode, you could lick their bodies. It wouldn't get you drunk unless you modded booze to be a confusion causing poison though. That is something I plan on doing, by the way.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14915 on: March 22, 2010, 06:23:47 pm »

You could make them secret booze, but it wouldn't mix with the water, since booze isn't tracked as a water contamination type. If you had them swim in lava, you might be able to get plumes of boiling booze, but I'm not sure on that. If you managed to kill one of these guys in adventurer mode, you could lick their bodies. It wouldn't get you drunk unless you modded booze to be a confusion causing poison though. That is something I plan on doing, by the way.

It is literally poison after all…

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14916 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:30 pm »

You could make a fish that secretes blood, then give it the [SAVAGE] and [EVIL] tags. Then terrifying biomes will have rivers full of bloody water. Only problem would be that immediately after embarking, the river wouldn't be bloody because the fish will only start secreting once you embark. Adventurer mode would also have this problem.

It would be a minor issue really. May become a bigger problem with oceans unless they are chock full of fish (as lakes usually are) since it could become patchy. Then there's the seasonal cleanup.

That actually sounds perfect for a horror setting. The seven brave colonists arrive at the new site and begin digging, building, farming, etc., but then a few days later the Urist McFisherdwarf comes running back to the main camp screaming that the river is slowly turning to blood!

Then, at dawn on the summer solstice, all the blood in the river vanishes, as mysteriously as it appeared. The river is pure again... for a day or two.

Now that's a sight I would like to see.

...from a safe distance.

A Dwarf can Dream...

Would that be the River Brandywine?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14917 on: March 22, 2010, 07:29:19 pm »

If you managed to kill one of these guys in adventurer mode, you could lick their bodies. It wouldn't get you drunk unless you modded booze to be a confusion causing poison though. That is something I plan on doing, by the way.

No dice. Ingested poisons are not supported in the next version. Contact Poisons will work, but I doubt it'll do anything in fortress mode.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14918 on: March 22, 2010, 07:31:53 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
and added parameters and parameter sets to make worlds that are surrounded by water on all sides for people that like that look.
Yay!  :D

I can finally make islands without endless footering and futtering with the parameters!

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14919 on: March 22, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

It would be a minor issue really. May become a bigger problem with oceans unless they are chock full of fish (as lakes usually are) since it could become patchy. Then there's the seasonal cleanup.

Didn't Toady say the cleaning on season change was gone for now? Or am I hallucinating more than usual?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14920 on: March 22, 2010, 07:47:53 pm »

That notion is false, I believe. You could make a custom workshop to create metal mechanisms, and even have it use the mechanics skill. They would be quality-less, but that doesn't matter unless you're using weapon traps, in which case, why are you using weapon traps? Wimp.  ;)
In the current version you can have metal mechanisms, made in the forge, with qualitiy modifiers, so I'm not so sure I believe you. The only metal mechanism in vanilla is bright blue and rather valuable, but modders have allowed for others.
I thought the "bright blue" mechanisms were made from raw adamantine rock, and so were "rock" not metal. Just like making one out of Native Gold doesn't make it metal. It's still rock.
Have a look at the raws. Adamantine will have the tag [ANY_USE] this will allow it to be used for, well, anything.

Not quite true. It needs both [WEAPON] AND [ANY_USE] to work for trap parts (ie. mechanisms). [ANY_USE] by itself covers a grab-bag of uses, but not actually ANY use. Those tags are also what allows for metal siege engine parts.

I think the reason vanilla doesn't have metal mechanisms currently is only because no metal should work for the whole grab-bag, and siege engine parts to boot.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14921 on: March 22, 2010, 08:13:02 pm »

I think the reason vanilla doesn't have metal mechanisms currently is only because no metal should work for the whole grab-bag, and siege engine parts to boot.

Except Adamantine.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14922 on: March 22, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »

Except Adamantine.

again, no, raw Adamantine.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14923 on: March 22, 2010, 08:49:24 pm »

Isn't Toady working at weekends anymore? For three weeks in a row he didn't update the dev_now at saturday and sunday.

Not that he don't deserve a break, but he used to work at weekends.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14924 on: March 22, 2010, 08:56:13 pm »

He's probably buzy coding.

Anyway before this release looked to be dragging along for a year he did take weekends off for a side project.  Then it turned into the last week of each month.  Then when he realized this release would take much much longer than he expected he set aside the side project to work on this fully.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 993 994 [995] 996 997 ... 1065