Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635941 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14895 on: March 22, 2010, 02:55:02 pm »

That notion is false, I believe. You could make a custom workshop to create metal mechanisms, and even have it use the mechanics skill. They would be quality-less, but that doesn't matter unless you're using weapon traps, in which case, why are you using weapon traps? Wimp.  ;)
In the current version you can have metal mechanisms, made in the forge, with qualitiy modifiers, so I'm not so sure I believe you. The only metal mechanism in vanilla is bright blue and rather valuable, but modders have allowed for others.
I thought the "bright blue" mechanisms were made from raw adamantine rock, and so were "rock" not metal. Just like making one out of Native Gold doesn't make it metal. It's still rock.
Have a look at the raws. Adamantine will have the tag [ANY_USE] this will allow it to be used for, well, anything. Furniture, weapons, armour, clothes and even mechanisms. So if you add that tag to iron or steel, you'll also be able to make iron or steel mechanisms. And clothes, but that's just a minor 'inconvenience'.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14896 on: March 22, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »

That notion is false, I believe. You could make a custom workshop to create metal mechanisms, and even have it use the mechanics skill. They would be quality-less, but that doesn't matter unless you're using weapon traps, in which case, why are you using weapon traps? Wimp.  ;)
In the current version you can have metal mechanisms, made in the forge, with qualitiy modifiers, so I'm not so sure I believe you. The only metal mechanism in vanilla is bright blue and rather valuable, but modders have allowed for others.
I thought the "bright blue" mechanisms were made from raw adamantine rock, and so were "rock" not metal. Just like making one out of Native Gold doesn't make it metal. It's still rock.
Have a look at the raws. Adamantine will have the tag [ANY_USE] this will allow it to be used for, well, anything. Furniture, weapons, armour, clothes and even mechanisms. So if you add that tag to iron or steel, you'll also be able to make iron or steel mechanisms. And clothes, but that's just a minor 'inconvenience'.

I dunno, I think +Steel toga+ would be the height of dwarf fashion. Especially if it menaces with spikes. (Be glad they don't wear thongs...)

Water and and magma are still the only fluids that will be able to accumulate to an actual depth level, correct? 'Cause it would be a nice megaproject to craft a sea of blood over top of the sea of magma, and wind up with a sea of boiling blood. Because...well, does a sea of boiling blood NEED a reason?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14897 on: March 22, 2010, 03:06:07 pm »

[ANY_USE]? Urist McDonald prefers to eat raw adamantine and drink dwarven adamantine.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14898 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

Water and and magma are still the only fluids that will be able to accumulate to an actual depth level, correct? 'Cause it would be a nice megaproject to craft a sea of blood over top of the sea of magma, and wind up with a sea of boiling blood. Because...well, does a sea of boiling blood NEED a reason?

I can't speak for anyone else, but if/when other fluids start making depth levels my first mega project is going to be a booze waterfall.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14899 on: March 22, 2010, 03:21:39 pm »

It's been heavily hinted that there are magma seas down below, ones that replenish from off-map.  Should be limitless enough for anyone.

Surely you don't mean to imply that there is ever such a thing as 'enough' magma?

Joking aside, I am somewhat surprised I forgot about that, but it is good to be reminded of just how awesome the new underground is going to be. Even a fully embarkable island should have potential now, on account of the underground.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14900 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:46 pm »

Water and and magma are still the only fluids that will be able to accumulate to an actual depth level, correct?

Yes.  No booze-fountains or rivers of blood yet.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14901 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

There are two ways of changing the items you can make in the current version. The one we call custom refers exclusively to smelter reactions that we can make produce just about whatever we want. The type you've seen is making metal a valid material for mechanisms, which works much like making glass a valid material for beds- the item can be made at the metal/glass building in addition to the usual stone variety workshop, out of whichever material.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14902 on: March 22, 2010, 03:59:14 pm »

I wonder if you could custom craft an item that bleeds. Like a floodgate which has an outer layer of blood. So that when placed into a water flow, it would contaminate the water. You wouldn't have a river of blood, but rather a river of bloody water. Which is almost as good.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14903 on: March 22, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »

I belive bleeding is hard-coded. But maybe you can make a corps that doesnt rot?
Although I think they would stop bleeding non the less.

Seems the only method is to make shrine to Armok and sacrifice all those captured elves and goblins into a river.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14904 on: March 22, 2010, 04:20:07 pm »

You could make a fish that secretes blood, then give it the [SAVAGE] and [EVIL] tags. Then terrifying biomes will have rivers full of bloody water. Only problem would be that immediately after embarking, the river wouldn't be bloody because the fish will only start secreting once you embark. Adventurer mode would also have this problem.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14905 on: March 22, 2010, 04:46:52 pm »

Only problem would be that immediately after embarking, the river wouldn't be bloody because the fish will only start secreting once you embark. Adventurer mode would also have this problem.

That shouldn't prove too fatal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14906 on: March 22, 2010, 04:47:21 pm »

You could make a fish that secretes blood, then give it the [SAVAGE] and [EVIL] tags. Then terrifying biomes will have rivers full of bloody water. Only problem would be that immediately after embarking, the river wouldn't be bloody because the fish will only start secreting once you embark. Adventurer mode would also have this problem.

It would be a minor issue really. May become a bigger problem with oceans unless they are chock full of fish (as lakes usually are) since it could become patchy. Then there's the seasonal cleanup.

I have a question related to custom workshops, but since its a reaction that I'm talking about, modders will probably know this. Does anybody know the maximum number of materials that can be added as required for a reaction?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14907 on: March 22, 2010, 04:49:17 pm »

The problem would be that fish (I believe) drown in blood. Often my adventurer is wading through a river, turning it red with the blood of fish, when suddenly the fish in front of me start drowning.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14908 on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »

I believe that if your remove all [BREATHE] parts, they will not need to breathe at all. That may cause your demon fish to walk on land though.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14909 on: March 22, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »

actually, I think that just makes them suffocate immediately. Add [NOBREATHE]
 and you should be fine.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 992 993 [994] 995 996 ... 1065