Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635876 times)

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14865 on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:29 am »

I always set the posts per page on any forum to the highest possible, so it's still 298 for me.

I've read that it's (likely/assured) that every single map will contain magma, but I can't seem to find anything relating to how that magma can be manipulated. Are Metal Mechanisms being added? Are there new Magma-safe stones? Could you randomly find a Bauxite Golem in the Underground, smash him into bits and carve him into a Mechanism? Something else I haven't thought of?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14866 on: March 22, 2010, 09:14:15 am »

I always set the posts per page on any forum to the highest possible, so it's still 298 for me.

Agreed.  Even if this thread kept going, it would take until the world ends (2012ish) for it to reach 1000 pages.

I've read that it's (likely/assured) that every single map will contain magma, but I can't seem to find anything relating to how that magma can be manipulated. Are Metal Mechanisms being added? Are there new Magma-safe stones? Could you randomly find a Bauxite Golem in the Underground, smash him into bits and carve him into a Mechanism? Something else I haven't thought of?

I'm rather amused by the idea of mechanism by way of smashed Golem... Especially if the could be bred!  It may be considered cheat-like by some, but you could always (theoretically) mod in a creature that you can milk for 'liquid bauxite' and then add a reaction to turn that into the stone.  That would be fun... :P

On another note:
Have there been any changes / improvements to the site finder?  With more complex underground features, the previous site finder seems like it would be a little odd to work with at best.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: March 22, 2010, 09:34:18 am »

I have never needed bauxite for any of my magma works.  The proper way to do things is with cunningly placed pumps.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:45 am »

On another note:
Have there been any changes / improvements to the site finder?  With more complex underground features, the previous site finder seems like it would be a little odd to work with at best.
Quote from: ToadyOne
02/26/2010: Fixed a crash on the military screen, fixed a problem with arena items disappearing, reorganized the attribute descriptions a bit, made some adv mode keys work that weren't working, fixed some broken ramps in caves... I took all of the old underground features that no longer exist out of the site finder, though I didn't do desired updates there yet. There was kind of a violent explosion of boiling human blood when I was testing a human vs a magma man in the arena... it was a little weird, but I guess that's okay.
The finder is KO, but UG features will be more frequent [citation needed].
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14869 on: March 22, 2010, 10:07:47 am »

On another note:
Quote from: ToadyOne
02/26/2010: Fixed a crash on the military screen, fixed a problem with arena items disappearing, reorganized the attribute descriptions a bit, made some adv mode keys work that weren't working, fixed some broken ramps in caves... I took all of the old underground features that no longer exist out of the site finder, though I didn't do desired updates there yet. There was kind of a violent explosion of boiling human blood when I was testing a human vs a magma man in the arena... it was a little weird, but I guess that's okay.
The finder is KO, but UG features will be more frequent [citation needed].

Shiny.  Not sure how I missed that.  Makes sense.  Mayhaps one of the next few releases after this large one will work on the site finder, I think it's been doing well in the Eternal Suggestions voting.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:47 am »

I really like the acoustic guitar music that's in now, though I have it disabled at the moment.  I'd like to have ambient music tracks of solos for all the instruments in game, and only have them play after you have made the respective instruments.  If they could then overlay into ensemble pieces that would be extra spiffy.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14871 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:19 am »

Finder's not KO, just stripped down of stuff that doesn't exist. I think we are still unsure if anything more will be added to it. Its less necessary now that every site has nifty stuff.

Also, WRT bauxite, use one of the realistic melting point stone mods. Maybe that info is in the vanilla now? That would qualify as a materials update.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: March 22, 2010, 10:25:34 am »

Finder's not KO, just stripped down of stuff that doesn't exist. I think we are still unsure if anything more will be added to it. Its less necessary now that every site has nifty stuff.

The fact that it only shows one embark out of every possibility makes it that much more useless now that just about every site is going to have possible stuff.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39:56 am »

The fact that it only shows one embark out of every possibility makes it that much more useless now that just about every site is going to have possible stuff.

No kidding.  I'd be happy (or, I'd settle, I suppose) for whatever Toady puts in a short stop every time it found a site, like asking you if you want this one, before it continued its search.  I can't tell you how often I've had to wait through another 200 tile-checks because it finds a matching site quickly but insists on checking any and all possibilities.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14874 on: March 22, 2010, 10:41:52 am »

I agree, however since sites generally* have these features, you don't need to search for them. So, restrict your site finder to biome, temperature and other sites you want to find, rather than resources which every site will likely* have.

(*always? we'll have to play to find out the probabilities here)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: March 22, 2010, 11:06:21 am »

I can't remember where I got this notion from, but I seem to remember metal mechanisms being an option now. Steel and/or nickel would suffice.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: March 22, 2010, 11:40:49 am »

That notion is false, I believe. You could make a custom workshop to create metal mechanisms, and even have it use the mechanics skill. They would be quality-less, but that doesn't matter unless you're using weapon traps, in which case, why are you using weapon traps? Wimp.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:42:42 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

StealthArcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: March 22, 2010, 11:47:25 am »

^Hermit Fortress.

They are my ever vigilant children of the earth.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #14878 on: March 22, 2010, 12:03:03 pm »

I agree, however since sites generally* have these features, you don't need to search for them. So, restrict your site finder to biome, temperature and other sites you want to find, rather than resources which every site will likely* have.

(*always? we'll have to play to find out the probabilities here)

While you are guaranteed to have magma, you still might want look for magma pipe embark.

Magma is supposed to be nearly bottom-most layer, so in order to make use of magma features on typical embark, you will have to pierce potential aquifier and dig all the way down throught caverns. That pretty much requires you to have competent military to deal with new undergound critters, forgotten beasts and possibly clowns. Then, build pump stack if you want magma moat or have magma-powered workshops near surface or maintain metalworking outpost near bottom.

It is going to be worth it to have embark with surface accessible magma if you actually want use magma.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14879 on: March 22, 2010, 12:03:41 pm »

That notion is false, I believe. You could make a custom workshop to create metal mechanisms, and even have it use the mechanics skill. They would be quality-less, but that doesn't matter unless you're using weapon traps, in which case, why are you using weapon traps? Wimp.  ;)

Is this true of the new version?  Will the custom workshops be able to produce items with qualities or not?

Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1065