Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635649 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14820 on: March 21, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

7 miles are just to 2 to 3 hours of walking. A days walk would be around 40 to 50 Kilometres.i have walked for 8 hours straight with a steady speed and got ~ 40 kilometres covered.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14821 on: March 21, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »

7 miles are just to 2 to 3 hours of walking. A days walk would be around 40 to 50 Kilometres.i have walked for 8 hours straight with a steady speed and got ~ 40 kilometres covered.

umkay, nm, guess my math is screwed up since I stayed up all night heh heh heh. Anyways, a horse is likely to be a little bit faster or about the same speed (assuming you're not playing Paul Revere), which kind of blows the milk spoilage idea out of the water. It would make for quick transport from the farm to the market, sure, but still.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14822 on: March 21, 2010, 02:26:48 pm »

14 miles, if you don't fancy staying the night. And then there's the weight of whatever you're carrying to sell.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14823 on: March 21, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »

Is having a world surrounded by magma ever going to be an option ?
Thank you based dwarf.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #14824 on: March 21, 2010, 02:44:20 pm »

As for the whole town distance stuff, about 7 miles would be about a days journey by horse, a few more by foot. I just figured it had more to do with travelling distance than the spoilage rate of milk.

It has more to do how much food and other resources can villages output.

Town/City population needs to be supported by farms. They can be only be spaced close if soil is very rich and climate allows best crops.

Traveling distance is less of issue, there are enough varieties of food that do not spoil in half a day and farms that are very close to city can specialize in them. Besides, ever heard of cheese or butter? Or dried fruit? City does not really need supermaketesque food variety or super-fresh food.

Traveling distance of course matters: it must be worth it to haul food from farm to city. Beyond certain distance, farmer must rely on third party to deliver food instead of having option of doing it himself. That generally means that he first delivers to town and sells to local businessman which then delivers it do city for final sale.

It is pretty much fractal things:

City is surrounded by several towns which supply it, town is surrounded by several villages that supply it, village is surrounded by several farms.

Pure farming redistribution town is not only case thou, usually you get towns that form around other features (i.e. towns spaced at 1-day travel time distance on line connecting cities, towns that form in vicinity of major military installations (castles) or mines.).

Look atnight side photos of earth: settlements form web.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14825 on: March 21, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense to ride a cow to the other town, and then milk it there? Be fresher that way.
That would neither be on a milkmaids path from the bedroom to the kitchen nor to the stable where the cows are at.

Why would the cow need to path to the milkmaid's bedroom? I don't like where this is going.

I do.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14826 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:13 pm »

Theres also major trade routes over land and along river and sea routes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14827 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:29 pm »

Hmm, yeah. It's an interesting idea. Specifically, what if there would be specific values for the water level and "magma level"? The current water level is 100, IIRC. If you could change it and set the magma level to 100 instead, you'd get land surrounded by magma, with pockets of water deep underground.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14828 on: March 21, 2010, 02:51:39 pm »

Hmm, yeah. It's an interesting idea. Specifically, what if there would be specific values for the water level and "magma level"? The current water level is 100, IIRC. If you could change it and set the magma level to 100 instead, you'd get land surrounded by magma, with pockets of water deep underground.

Too bad that's totally impossible without the liquids rework.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14829 on: March 21, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »

Also that picture displays the most gruesome destruction of trees I've seen in a while…
I can hear the trees screaming just from looking at it.
What, are you some sort of elf?  :P
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14830 on: March 21, 2010, 03:00:00 pm »

Also that picture displays the most gruesome destruction of trees I've seen in a while…

Yea, a basketweaving elf!!

Okay, um yea, anybody think there will be more magma monsters/vermin in the new release? I know we can mod them in, but still.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14831 on: March 21, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »

Okay, um yea, anybody think there will be more magma monsters/vermin in the new release? I know we can mod them in, but still.

I don't mind being called an elf, but a basket weaver?! That will not stand.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14832 on: March 21, 2010, 03:10:57 pm »

I don't mind being called an elf, but a basket weaver?! That will not stand.

It was just my humor bieng a bit stupid, but still, its a little bit lolworthy.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14833 on: March 21, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

To assume he DOESN'T is blasphemy, as is that actually happening.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14834 on: March 21, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

As for the whole town distance stuff, about 7 miles would be about a days journey by horse, a few more by foot. I just figured it had more to do with travelling distance than the spoilage rate of milk.
From the following local article I read recently (http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-news/local-wirral-news/2010/02/17/ancient-law-could-finish-hoylake-market-dream-80491-25844603/)
"Since 1253, and the granting of Birkenhead’s Royal Charter, British law has stipulated that markets must be further than six and two third miles apart.

This was calculated on the basis of being one third of 20 miles, or the distance it was understood a man with a laden mule could walk in one day."
Pages: 1 ... 987 988 [989] 990 991 ... 1065