Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635675 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14805 on: March 21, 2010, 11:41:22 am »

Footkechief can run DF in his mind, he has encyclopedic knowledge, so : yes. :)

A bit of fun I'm all for, but no message spamming in the serious threads please.
Keep that confined to the Non-DF pages or possibly threads created for the express purpose of spamming.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: March 21, 2010, 11:41:46 am »

The real question is what we'll do when we reach 1000 pages and the Toad God fails to deliver.  I predict sacrifices, Aztec style.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:26 am »

The real question is what we'll do when we reach 1000 pages and the Toad God fails to deliver.  I predict sacrifices, Aztec style.

or maybe something akin to the salem witch trials?  ::)
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14808 on: March 21, 2010, 11:43:44 am »

some pages ago the rummor was started that footkerchief and possibly others were secretlly testing the next version, i missed how the conversation developed, was this confirmed or something?

Noone has said yes, but the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming (IMO). If they did say yes, do you think that they would be mobbed with piles of questions that could only be answered "I can't show you until it's released"? Better to appreciate the source of additional correct answers.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: March 21, 2010, 12:03:35 pm »

As I said before, there is nothing wrong with some off-topic chatter. In a thread this size, that's almost inevitable. But deliberate spam is another story.

Reaching 1000 pages would never have been a possibility without the dedication and tireless efforts of those complaining about it.

But seriously - every forum inevitably gets into a discussion of content vs. fluff, because in truth, every member appreciates a different ratio.  Some are all content, some are all fluff, most are somewhere in-between.  And to complicate matters, there isn't always a nice clear line to draw between content and fluff, especially since they tend to feed off one another.

That's what a community is.  Complaining about it is fine, trying to make an issue of it is counter-productive.  Lead by example, etc.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: March 21, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »

Well, at least it's easier to get your questions answered, since there's less competition. And these have been bugging me for a while.

Can Vermin still be produced by reactions or itemcorpses? (I'm actually guessing they can't...)

Can creatures "secrete" vermin, as they might produce poison or another substance from their skin? (Worth asking but..)

If I make a creature where one caste is normal sized, and one caste is vermin, will the large creature be able to give birth to the vermin? (pllleeaaaassee)

Will vermin in that same situation be able to give birth to more vermin, or full-size castes? (I doubt it, but I'm sure you can see where this was going)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14811 on: March 21, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »

So what kind of abomination do you want to create? Baal "lord of flies" or something?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: March 21, 2010, 12:54:28 pm »

Well, at least it's easier to get your questions answered, since there's less competition. And these have been bugging me for a while.

Can Vermin still be produced by reactions or itemcorpses? (I'm actually guessing they can't...)
I don't see why that would have changed. Vermin should still be semi-items.
Can creatures "secrete" vermin, as they might produce poison or another substance from their skin? (Worth asking but..)
Seems unlikely. We'll probably have to wait for "item breaths" for something like that.
If I make a creature where one caste is normal sized, and one caste is vermin, will the large creature be able to give birth to the vermin? (pllleeaaaassee)

Will vermin in that same situation be able to give birth to more vermin, or full-size castes? (I doubt it, but I'm sure you can see where this was going)
Unfortunately, vermin nature is one of the few things that is defined at a creature level, rather than caste level.

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:57:52 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: March 21, 2010, 01:09:59 pm »

Now there's a hard mental image to generate.  A skeletal invertebrate?  What would that even look like?
The two red glowing eyes that skeletons always seem to get in modern media.

Except just rolling around on the floor being non-threatening.

And yay for island worlds!  I had created an island map with the ingame editor, but all the surrounding ocean always ended up being good aligned.  Which made it less awesome.  It was funny having merfolk spawn on the beach section of the map edge and immediately airdrown though.  I'm sure the goblins appreciated how expensive those merfolk bone bolts sticking out of their necks were.
They turn into one long ribcage like a snake because the necromancer doesn't understand slug anatomy.

Making towns about the same distance apart makes sense to me. For instance, most of the small towns around where I live are all about seven miles apart or so, supposedly because when they were built that's how far a horse could carry milk before it spoiled.
Wouldn't it make more sense to ride a cow to the other town, and then milk it there? Be fresher that way.
That would neither be on a milkmaids path from the bedroom to the kitchen nor to the stable where the cows are at.

*Love to Toady*

For the worldgen option to have water allround.
It is just short of an actual cylindrical (or toroid?) world, but it will do.
It's easier to fudge distance over water so we don't need to act like the sides are really square anymore- If you want the world to be a sphere a bunch of the tiles could just be the same location that the mapmaker drew multiple times to fill in the square.

Yea, sometimes they will path through 3 or 4 depth water if they absolutely have to, but attempting to haul stuff from sloshing 3/7 4/7 water will generally result in cancellations.

Edit: What CrimsonEon said as well.
I had to place a narrow path that they would clog up so the second pass of the pathfinding algorithm would send my soldiers swimming along.

yes you can do island forts. the problem is to find a island that is small enough to fit into a local map.
Not a problem. ;-)

Plus, according to the most recent devlog, the new version will allow for the entire world to be an island.  Simply gen a smaller/pocket world as an island, and presto!  You have the perfect island fort, as you can control all the other cool features as well.
You can't have a fort that goes over multiple region tiles. Pocket still has a lot of region tiles. If you could gen a 1x1 with all water edges and a lot of erosion you might be able to guarantee the land fitting in an embark.

It's probably buried there, somewhere amongst the discussion of the arbitrary nature of the actual pages of posts, polite comments that pointless points add nothing to the discussion, and some very interesting de-rails that whilst adding nothing to the discussion throw up some very interesting further discussions that people didn't know they wanted to have.

But posting for postings sake?

I'm not sure that it is generally appreciated, all it does is deflect away from genuinely interesting posts within this thread.

I'd almost be for just throwing a few hundred empty posts into the thread just to hit that number so they couldn't talk about it anymore.

As I said before, there is nothing wrong with some off-topic chatter. In a thread this size, that's almost inevitable. But deliberate spam is another story.

Reaching 1000 pages would never have been a possibility without the dedication and tireless efforts of those complaining about it.
One of the many reasons I only complain in posts containing a bunch of other quotes. In a way I'm doing the minimum to push the thread length up~
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: March 21, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »

I'd like to see hauling baskets for DF. Think about this, a dwarf can haul 5 items instead of one with a hauling basket.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:45:45 pm by Wavecutter »
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: March 21, 2010, 01:43:30 pm »

It's easier to fudge distance over water so we don't need to act like the sides are really square anymore- If you want the world to be a sphere a bunch of the tiles could just be the same location that the mapmaker drew multiple times to fill in the square.
They were never intended to seem to encompass whole worlds, they're called regions for a reason.

I'd like to see hauling baskets for DF. Think about this, a dwarf can haul 5 items instead of one with a hauling basket.
Backpacks.

Edit: Also that picture displays the most gruesome destruction of trees I've seen in a while…
I can hear the trees screaming just from looking at it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:50:23 pm by Leotto »

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: March 21, 2010, 01:47:17 pm »

and carts, i want to see dwarves push/pull carts.  :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:49:40 pm by Qiu »

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: March 21, 2010, 01:48:07 pm »

This is currently #1 on the suggestions voting, so it will be worked on soon after the next release.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:18 pm »

Unfortunately, vermin nature is one of the few things that is defined at a creature level, rather than caste level.

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.
Yeah. I really ought to copy that quote onto a post-it and stick it to my computer. In fact I actually am going to put it in my mods file, so I stop pissing myself off.

So what kind of abomination do you want to create? Baal "lord of flies" or something?
Nah. Had a bunch of ideas. Wanted flocks of seagulls surrounding Krakens, and albino sperm whales. Wanted a creature that would manage to worm its way into a totally sealed fortress as a vermin, and then give birth to a load of horrible offspring, the worst of which would drop the vermin from its skin. Or vermin created as a side effect to reactions, that gave birth to various horrors.

Wouldn't it make more sense to ride a cow to the other town, and then milk it there? Be fresher that way.
That would neither be on a milkmaids path from the bedroom to the kitchen nor to the stable where the cows are at.

Why would the cow need to path to the milkmaid's bedroom? I don't like where this is going.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:48 pm »

Bonus points if you eventually perish from consumption.
i'll perish from ennui

some pages ago the rummor was started that footkerchief and possibly others were secretlly testing the next version, i missed how the conversation developed, was this confirmed or something?

AFAIK, it was Aquillon and Footkerchief that were suspected. It kind of came out through a claim that cows and stuff were milkable and they didn't really give proof, although Toady later confirmed it in the latest or second latest Q&A sessions. The whole suspicion thing pretty much got dropped since we are so close to the release that we wouldn't get anything useful out of them, and Toady provides plenty of data juice anyway.

As for the whole town distance stuff, about 7 miles would be about a days journey by horse, a few more by foot. I just figured it had more to do with travelling distance than the spoilage rate of milk.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:55:50 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 1065