Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635449 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14760 on: March 20, 2010, 05:35:25 pm »

It does condensate if it has boiling temp. But iirc. it condensates into globs or dust so you would be actually coated into dust not a solid material.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14761 on: March 20, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »

gold dust Whoo!

I'm assuming that dust or globs canot be harvested, smelted and turned into ingots. Dorfs will just have to live with snorting the stuff...they are immune to silicosis after all. :)
Yeah, I thought I remembered somebody asking pages ago.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14762 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

If you had globs, you could melt it, yes. EDIT: You could simulate silicosis by making every room temperature solid in the game an inhaled toxin, the effects of which slowly increase over time. This would have no effect unless the solid was in a dust state. It would also take effect if substance was in the gas state, but then your dwarves have bigger problems, immolation among them. Looking at the Wikipedia page, the symptoms are:

• Dyspnea (shortness of breath) exacerbated by exertion
  • Cough, often persistent and sometimes severe
  • Fatigue
  • Tachypnea (rapid breathing) which is often labored
  • Loss of appetite and weight loss
  • Chest pain
  • Fever
  • Gradual dark shallow rifts in nails eventually leading to cracks as protein fibers within nail beds are destroyed.

Almost all of those are possible now. Dyspnea is just impairing the function of the lungs. I'm not sure on localized pain, but generalized pain is definitely in, as is fever and fatigue. The coughing and loss of appetite could be tricky. The last symptom sounds like a prolonged rot effect on the nails, which are now accounted for. The best part is that this would happen quite frequently if your the type that likes to cause cave-ins. I think this mod could work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:35:48 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14763 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
... added parameters and parameter sets to make worlds that are surrounded by water on all sides for people that like that look.
Large Medium Small Smaller Pocket
Nice! I spent a while fiddling round with world painter to make something like that.
Meh.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14764 on: March 20, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »

In line with island world maps:

Will there be an option to embark on a landmass completely surrounded by water?

Remember there was a video posted awhile ago by toady of an embark group starting on an island, killing some monkeys and building a statue on the top of the island's peak. I even recall a thread somewhere about creating a similar scenario, but the game currently defaults to connecting the map by one side to land.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14765 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »

In line with island world maps:

Will there be an option to embark on a landmass completely surrounded by water?

Remember there was a video posted awhile ago by toady of an embark group starting on an island, killing some monkeys and building a statue on the top of the island's peak. I even recall a thread somewhere about creating a similar scenario, but the game currently defaults to connecting the map by one side to land.

Huh? I think you answered your own question since you can even embark in an area completely closed off by mountains or water.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14766 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:51 pm »

yes you can do island forts. the problem is to find a island that is small enough to fit into a local map.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14767 on: March 20, 2010, 11:27:43 pm »

Will we be able to embark on mountains? Because that's where all the fun (not to be confused with Fun) stuff is.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14768 on: March 20, 2010, 11:34:46 pm »

Will we be able to embark on mountains? Because that's where all the fun (not to be confused with Fun) stuff is.

Mods exist to embark anywhere you want, and in the next release Toady has said that interesting features can be found everywhere, so it'll be fun (and possibly Fun) to embark in non-mountainous areas.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14769 on: March 21, 2010, 12:08:59 am »

its not a mod its a tool. IIrc it adds a embark-able flag to the memory-structure of the selected map parts or something like that. Thus it was also possible to have two forts in the same spot. It caused problems with Adv thought doing this.

The tool was name "embark anywhere" so. just use the search engine to find it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:14:01 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14770 on: March 21, 2010, 12:21:38 am »

Mods exist to embark anywhere you want, and in the next release Toady has said that interesting features can be found everywhere, so it'll be fun (and possibly Fun) to embark in non-mountainous areas.

Plus the fact that the z-levels won't be capped at 15 will make it worth it to embark on flat areas if you wanted to build a 100 level tower.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14771 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:02 am »

Considering we can now build staircases from above, does this mean we can build a staircase into a river? if so, how does it affect water in the tile?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14772 on: March 21, 2010, 01:44:27 am »

Considering we can now build staircases from above, does this mean we can build a staircase into a river? if so, how does it affect water in the tile?

You can't build a construction in a square that has more than 1 level of water. So no, you can't build into a river.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14773 on: March 21, 2010, 01:50:21 am »

You can't build a construction in a square that has more than 1 level of water. So no, you can't build into a river.
I hope it is only unless they're have waterbreathing tag.
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14774 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:29 am »

yes you can do island forts. the problem is to find a island that is small enough to fit into a local map.
Not a problem. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 983 984 [985] 986 987 ... 1065