Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635395 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14700 on: March 19, 2010, 06:29:37 pm »

Dwarven sausage grinder.
Thank you based dwarf.

Nuclearjohnny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14701 on: March 19, 2010, 06:39:44 pm »

Dwarven sausage grinder.
Goblin slang for the inevitable hallway full of sword traps. Goblin sausage, anyone?

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14702 on: March 19, 2010, 06:47:28 pm »

Well whenever cooking gets upgraded kidneys and livers need to be part of some recipes. 
Thank you based dwarf.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14703 on: March 19, 2010, 06:48:40 pm »

Cant wait for hagis  :-X
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14704 on: March 19, 2010, 07:10:33 pm »

Well whenever cooking gets upgraded kidneys and livers need to be part of some recipes. 

Snake and kidney pie, a traditional dwarven favorite.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14705 on: March 19, 2010, 07:13:05 pm »

Skills and professions are still hardcoded and you can't add new ones.  However, the new reaction syntax (midway down this post) has a SKILL tag that lets you choose which hardcoded skill should be used by the reaction.

Aren't there some redundant skills? I think I remember hearing of an alchemy, and some druid-y type deal.

Snake and kitty pie, a traditional dwarven favorite.

Fixed your typo

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14706 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »

Does hair actually grow currently?

I believe it does, at least for dwarves and other sapients.

Yep.  Check the dwarf raws and look for TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH.

How will extracts like wool, antlers etc. handled? Will this stuff and milking work under the hood of one framework? If so how would we set up the raws for the extraction of a wool? preferable without needing a bucket? Also can we get extracts into vials instead of Buckets where it makes sense? Is it possible to to milk 2 different liquids from one animal like a actual animal-milk and a poison?

If you're talking about the upcoming release, there's no unified framework per se, just milking of arbitrary liquids into a bucket.  Wool extraction would have to work via the system I just described or one like it.  Buckets only, and only one milkable material per creature.

If you mean later on, this dev item
# Bloat58, MORE LIVESTOCK, (Future): Livestock. Use of feathers. Use of wool. Various eggs and nests. Dwarves should hate eating plants all the time.
implies that all those animal products will be under one system as much as possible.

That reminds me of another question I had. What's the point of all the various intestines, spleens, lungs, and other new bits that come from butchering animals? Are there any uses for them in game, or are they just fodder for homebrewed alchemist's workshop reactions?
atm, i don't think there's any use for them, they're just like 'chunks', in the future of course intestines at least will be used for sausage, and the other bits will probably be able to be ground up for offal to feed animals and fertilize farms.

The squishy tissues are all edible as meat (with the exception of cartilage, hair, and nervous tissue, which are useless as far as I know) and the hard ones can be made into crafts.

Skills and professions are still hardcoded and you can't add new ones.  However, the new reaction syntax (midway down this post) has a SKILL tag that lets you choose which hardcoded skill should be used by the reaction.

Aren't there some redundant skills? I think I remember hearing of an alchemy, and some druid-y type deal.

Those have been in the game forever and are still present, yes.  I'm not sure what you mean by "redundant" though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:19:52 pm by Footkerchief »

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14707 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »

I want artifact moods for more professions: a brewer makes a barrel of rotgut that'd make the Hammerer cry and the Baron forget a mandate; a marksdwarf insists on targets to pincushion from half-way across the world; a soap maker goes and washes half the fort - or half the dwarves!

You'd probably need to be able to "consume" artifacts to make it work.

Maybe ever artifact materials. Not sure what you'd do with them.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14708 on: March 19, 2010, 07:28:51 pm »

No, the marksdwarf should request a goblin! It's death will be a work of art... somehow. Also, there will be magma... again, somehow.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14709 on: March 19, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »

Pin it to the ceiling.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14710 on: March 19, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »

No, pin it to the wall in such a way that it can be used as a table!
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14711 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:23 pm »

I want artifact moods for more professions: a brewer makes a barrel of rotgut that'd make the Hammerer cry and the Baron forget a mandate; a marksdwarf insists on targets to pincushion from half-way across the world; a soap maker goes and washes half the fort - or half the dwarves!

You'd probably need to be able to "consume" artifacts to make it work.

Maybe ever artifact materials. Not sure what you'd do with them.

Benefit of consumable artifact is that it is never actually consumed by being used? So an artifact bar of dragon soap never actually runs out. Doesn't apply to materials, though, cause that causes problems with "I have an infinite supply of Artifact-value shirts". Just don't let artifact materials be incorporated into other things, which seems sensible to me. An artifact piece of cloth is a masterful textile to be displayed, not cut into a thong.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14712 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:45 pm »

Has anything been said about leather armor in the new version? Will all leather armor continue to be identical for protective purposes, or will elephant leather be superior to cow leather, in turn superior to armoring your dwarfs in the leather of ground hogs?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14713 on: March 19, 2010, 07:51:38 pm »

Those have been in the game forever and are still present, yes.  I'm not sure what you mean by "redundant" though.

Redundant in that they are not used. Perhaps "vestigal" would have been a better word, but it tends to make me uncomfortable. Now that I think about it, they still wouldn't be usable, since they wouldn't be able to have a corresponding labour enabled. Unless they defaulted to the "Children and Nobles" type job.
Shame. Could've had a great "Skeeball" workshop that trained dwarves' throwing skills, while offering them the chance of a fabulous prize.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14714 on: March 19, 2010, 08:03:04 pm »

In that vein - will bigger animals produce more leather? Will a dwarf be fully clothed in a cape made from a sinke kitten leather?

Will burrows allow us to separate the sleeping barraks from the training ones?
Pages: 1 ... 979 980 [981] 982 983 ... 1065