Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635346 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14685 on: March 19, 2010, 11:47:21 am »

I guess I'm just one of those weird sorta girls that hates all that hair all over everything.
Although personally I prefer people that look like caveman/bear crossbreeds. 
You are not alone, I abhor any kind of hair over any surface that isn't the head (head =/= face). I don' count as a girl though, even if I'm gay.

Friendly reminder that threads get locked here when people start "sharing your sex life."

Human males used to be attracted to the buttocks of the female. You can still see this in other apes and monkeys that still frequently go on all four legs.

Since humans became upright, the butt became less noticeable, so the visual cues that used to be associated with the buttocks became associated with the chest instead.

So deep down, we all like big butts.

If people want to discuss this stuff in a dedicated thread, there's already a big evo psych love-in going on in General Discussion.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: March 19, 2010, 12:03:49 pm »

I guess I'm just one of those weird sorta girls that hates all that hair all over everything.
Although personally I prefer people that look like caveman/bear crossbreeds. 
You are not alone, I abhor any kind of hair over any surface that isn't the head (head =/= face). I don' count as a girl though, even if I'm gay.

Friendly reminder that threads get locked here when people start "sharing your sex life."

Human males used to be attracted to the buttocks of the female. You can still see this in other apes and monkeys that still frequently go on all four legs.

Since humans became upright, the butt became less noticeable, so the visual cues that used to be associated with the buttocks became associated with the chest instead.

So deep down, we all like big butts.

If people want to discuss this stuff in a dedicated thread, there's already a big evo psych love-in going on in General Discussion.

Yea seriously, lets change the subject.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: March 19, 2010, 12:15:08 pm »

Indeed lets talk about.. How exactly are weapon surfaces taken into account when calculating damage, and how they react to layers? I remember Toady saying something about how hammer heads have a smaller contact surface then a mace, so that changes the way it does damage.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:52 pm »

Hmm. On a similar note:

Does the size of the impact surface affect how easy it is to use a weapon and hit with said impact surface?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48:07 pm »

Indeed lets talk about.. How exactly are weapon surfaces taken into account when calculating damage, and how they react to layers? I remember Toady saying something about how hammer heads have a smaller contact surface then a mace, so that changes the way it does damage.

It's all in the weapon raws.  Each ATTACK has an associated contact area (see the comments in the battle axe definition) and some other physical parameters.

Quote from: Mephansteras
Toady, any chance we could see RAW examples of a Sword and Spear to go with the bludgeoning weapons?

Sure.  Here's what I've got so far.  Tentative as usual.  Training weapons should probably be a little heavier than their edged counterparts, since they are thicker.  (The "WEIGHT" is actually a volume, still have to change that, and probably to mm^3 like the others, thought those numbers would be some of the worst guesses ever made).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm. On a similar note:

Does the size of the impact surface affect how easy it is to use a weapon and hit with said impact surface?

This I'm not sure about.  My guess is no, though -- contact area alone isn't enough to go on, since it doesn't tell you about the shape of the weapon (for example, a long thin string would be easy to hit with despite the very small contact area).

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: March 19, 2010, 04:40:23 pm »

Probably not important enough for greening, but I've thought of two questions:

1) Sheep (assuming someone mods them in). Will it be possible to "milk" them for wool, to be spun into thread, or does the extract that is milked have to be a liquid?

2) Are jobs/professions now part of the raw, or are they hard coded? For example, if I made a "printing press" custom workshop, could I add a "printer" job, or would it default to something like woodcrafting, because I would be using paper made from wood.
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: March 19, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »

1) Sheep (assuming someone mods them in). Will it be possible to "milk" them for wool, to be spun into thread, or does the extract that is milked have to be a liquid?
Sure.

2) Are jobs/professions now part of the raw, or are they hard coded? For example, if I made a "printing press" custom workshop, could I add a "printer" job, or would it default to something like woodcrafting, because I would be using paper made from wood.

I believe costume workshops can be defined under a catchall skill or assigned preexisting skills. I dont know how freely you can make new skills.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: March 19, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »

The MILKABLE tag doesn't specify a material state, so theoretically you could use a milk that's solid at room temperature.  However, milking is hardcoded to produce a certain item type, probably LIQUID_MISC.  This item would not be directly usable in the thread-making process, but you could probably set up a "card wool" reaction to turn it into thread or cloth or whatever.  It'll be a little weird.

Skills and professions are still hardcoded and you can't add new ones.  However, the new reaction syntax (midway down this post) has a SKILL tag that lets you choose which hardcoded skill should be used by the reaction.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: March 19, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »

As already said, it's probably doable, but it'd really make more sense to have a new kind of job, "shear animal", possible for animals that have hair tissue tagged as suitable for spinning to thread. (That doesn't exist yet, it'd have to be added too.) Shearing an animal would then remove all the spinnable hair from it, and shearing the same animal would only be possible after the hair had grown enough.
Does hair actually grow currently?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14694 on: March 19, 2010, 05:30:48 pm »

As already said, it's probably doable, but it'd really make more sense to have a new kind of job, "shear animal", possible for animals that have hair tissue tagged as suitable for spinning to thread. (That doesn't exist yet, it'd have to be added too.) Shearing an animal would then remove all the spinnable hair from it, and shearing the same animal would only be possible after the hair had grown enough.
Does hair actually grow currently?

I believe it does, at least for dwarves and other sapients.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: March 19, 2010, 05:43:58 pm »

How will extracts like wool, antlers etc. handled? Will this stuff and milking work under the hood of one framework? If so how would we set up the raws for the extraction of a wool? preferable without needing a bucket? Also can we get extracts into vials instead of Buckets where it makes sense? Is it possible to to milk 2 different liquids from one animal like a actual animal-milk and a poison?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: March 19, 2010, 06:02:38 pm »

Antlers, ivory, etc aren't extracts, they're body parts. They can be used only after killing the animal. I'm pretty sure animals won't shed antlers in the next version, though it may be possible through modding in an antler secretion. I'm not sure how that would work.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: March 19, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »

Antlers, ivory, etc aren't extracts, they're body parts. They can be used only after killing the animal. I'm pretty sure animals won't shed antlers in the next version, though it may be possible through modding in an antler secretion. I'm not sure how that would work.

Maybe it would work the same way you harvest "wool". With a little modding, you could "milk" the animal for liquid "wool" or "antlers". Then, with a sheep loom or a horn polishing workshop (customized) you would use a reaction to make the liquid into a thread or a solid antler).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: March 19, 2010, 06:16:31 pm »

That reminds me of another question I had. What's the point of all the various intestines, spleens, lungs, and other new bits that come from butchering animals? Are there any uses for them in game, or are they just fodder for homebrewed alchemist's workshop reactions?
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: March 19, 2010, 06:20:56 pm »

atm, i don't think there's any use for them, they're just like 'chunks', in the future of course intestines at least will be used for sausage, and the other bits will probably be able to be ground up for offal to feed animals and fertilize farms.
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1065