Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 976 977 [978] 979 980 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635301 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14655 on: March 19, 2010, 02:59:40 am »

Oh baby!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, I was expecting worse of that spoiler. As is, it just reminded me of MGS2...

I think we got a lil off topic here, I think the topic we are sposed to be talking about is pubic hair

This is what I get for frequenting you, FotF thread. Discussions about pubic hair. If there's anything I'd rather see less discussed than body hair is pubic hair.

Hot damn, you guys.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14656 on: March 19, 2010, 03:03:49 am »

Oh baby!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, I was expecting worse of that spoiler. As is, it just reminded me of MGS2...

I think we got a lil off topic here, I think the topic we are sposed to be talking about is pubic hair

This is what I get for frequenting you, FotF thread. Discussions about pubic hair. If there's anything I'd rather see less discussed than body hair is pubic hair.

Hot damn, you guys.

Weird. Its just hair. Though you seem to be against hair discussion in general. How we switch to mammary gland evolution? Your avatar is basically a bouncing pair of them.

Anybody else thin its odd that human are the only ape that grows mammary glands before birthing an offspring?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14657 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:21 am »

The glands are there regardless, really. Even human males have them, although they're a bit less developed, I guess.

I'm sure some of it is pre-enlarged mammary tissue, but a lot of it's just plain fat.

Granted, this doesn't have much to do with the real question. There are a few theories, I think. A sign of sexual selection would be one, and there's another theory that humans have small, flat jaws, which makes breastfeeding easier if the breasts are larger/rounder. It might also be a sign-of-fertility thing, sort of like the buttocks, but in front (which is important due to our bipedal nature).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14658 on: March 19, 2010, 04:23:00 am »

The glands are there regardless, really. Even human males have them, although they're a bit less developed, I guess.

They're pretty much entirely undeveloped, but yes, they are there. This is because by 'default' so to speak, humans are female. All fetuses are female up until a certain point (i forget when, 6 - 8 weeks i think, but i could be completely wrong about that number) at which point if there's a Y chromosone, Testosterone kicks in and starts converting various female body parts into male body parts. Parts like the mammary glands are already in place, but just don't develop without the required estrogen concentration.

In some cases men can end up with the wrong hormones and the mammary glands do develop. I imagine that causes more than a little embarrisment.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14659 on: March 19, 2010, 04:25:21 am »

They're pretty much entirely undeveloped, but yes, they are there.

Don't confuse functional mammary glands with developed breasts, though. Given the right provocation, males can lactate. It even happens to infants sometimes (due to the mother's hormones before birth). Of course, the breasts almost certainly flatten out a bit over time, but you can say that about a pregnant woman's, to a degree.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14660 on: March 19, 2010, 04:52:42 am »

There used to be a theory (dunno whether it's been disproved now or not) that the humale female breast tissue (which is mostly fat and non-functional for feeding offspring) developed as a sort of fake pair of buttocks, since those traditional primate mate-attractors were less easy to appreciate once we all started standing upright.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14661 on: March 19, 2010, 04:56:41 am »

They're pretty much entirely undeveloped, but yes, they are there.

Don't confuse functional mammary glands with developed breasts, though. Given the right provocation, males can lactate. It even happens to infants sometimes (due to the mother's hormones before birth). Of course, the breasts almost certainly flatten out a bit over time, but you can say that about a pregnant woman's, to a degree.

Of course not, the part of the breast we recognise as the breast is actually just fat deposits surrounding the mammary glands.

There's lots of hypothesis as to why breast tissue develops, we still don't know which (if any) is correct.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14662 on: March 19, 2010, 05:15:37 am »

Of course the real important question is: do female dwarves have breasts? And if so, do they act as damage absorption to the chest area? This could potentially make females much more effective in combat.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14663 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:49 am »

Of course the real important question is: do female dwarves have breasts?

no. they got removed along with their beards.

And if so, do they act as damage absorption to the chest area? This could potentially make females much more effective in combat.

Except no.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:20:19 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14664 on: March 19, 2010, 05:26:18 am »

Of course the real important question is: do female dwarves have breasts? And if so, do they act as damage absorption to the chest area? This could potentially make females much more effective in combat.

No, they use babies for damage absorption in combat. That is enough.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14665 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:37 am »

I wonder if its possible for Toady to host a DFTerm server of the new version for outsiders to test and scrutinize. Would be a wonderful way of getting outside testing help without worrying about version control in the least.

Worst that could happen is some unauthorized screenshots.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14666 on: March 19, 2010, 05:40:58 am »

Worst that could happen is spoilers. We don't like spoilers.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14667 on: March 19, 2010, 06:09:37 am »

No.  Ow.  Imagine your testes as "damage absorption" for your penis.

Back to mammary glands as a whole, I expect the evolution of relatively enlarged breasts occurred as a signal of fertility.  Females which have already given birth are visibly fertile, having swollen mammaries for milk production.  Since humans no longer have a defined period of being in heat, and since a human female can birth more offspring even whilst breastfeeding fairly new young, it makes sense that we would evolve a constant, more general, signal of fertility.

Personally I found the pubic hair discussion more interesting, though.  Given that pubic hair evolved for friction reduction but is also an indicator of sexual maturity and fertility, what do you make of the current trend for pubic hair in the genital and armpit area to be seen as sexually unappealing?

I know that the whole thing about women shaving came about in the early 20th Century, when razor manufacturers tried to increase sales by marketing smooth legs as appealing for the first time (I think the pressure of WWII and the lack of available tights for women, resulting in gravy browning, helped this).  But why has the expectation spread across the rest of the body?  The number of women I know who shave their arms as well as everything else...
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14668 on: March 19, 2010, 06:30:34 am »

ow. I really thought that rolling for anal circumference was an exaggeration. But no no, it breaks it down...

ow...

I am going to bed now. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14669 on: March 19, 2010, 06:57:13 am »

Weird. Its just hair. Though you seem to be against hair discussion in general. How we switch to mammary gland evolution? Your avatar is basically a bouncing pair of them.

Anybody else thin its odd that human are the only ape that grows mammary glands before birthing an offspring?

To be perfectly honest, I'd be absolutely okay with you guys talking about boobs. I guess I'm just one of those weird sorta girls that hates all that hair all over everything.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 976 977 [978] 979 980 ... 1065