Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635230 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14640 on: March 19, 2010, 12:04:16 am »

The location of such hair could always be accidental in some fashion that's neither beneficial nor harmful. For instance, it could be triggered by certain hormones which are there primarily to serve other purposes (e.g. giving off certain scents in sweat). Just throwing the possibility out there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: March 19, 2010, 12:34:12 am »

Since the pubic hair discussion seems to still exist:
I believe I saw on the National Geographic or Discovery channel at some point a theory regarding this. Apparently pubic haris are placed correctly to reduce friction when walking on all fours. Unfortunately, this is inconsistent with armpit hair, which is located for bipedal walking, so if this is a major reason (and it seems likely to me) then it has some odd connotations about human hair loss.

I dont see how its inconsistent.

One grew in response when we were quadrapedal and one grew in response when we were bipedal. A physical attribute does not go away simply because its intended use is no longer present. There has to be evolutionary pressure to remove the physical attribute. Its just vestigial.
Perhaps, but it denotes a very convoluted evolutionary path. If we lost all our hair save for that which expedited movement, then it would be placed for a single method of movement. It is currently not. So what happened? Perhaps armpit hair merely redeveloped later.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: March 19, 2010, 12:39:42 am »

Since the pubic hair discussion seems to still exist:
I believe I saw on the National Geographic or Discovery channel at some point a theory regarding this. Apparently pubic haris are placed correctly to reduce friction when walking on all fours. Unfortunately, this is inconsistent with armpit hair, which is located for bipedal walking, so if this is a major reason (and it seems likely to me) then it has some odd connotations about human hair loss.

I dont see how its inconsistent.

One grew in response when we were quadrapedal and one grew in response when we were bipedal. A physical attribute does not go away simply because its intended use is no longer present. There has to be evolutionary pressure to remove the physical attribute. Its just vestigial.
Perhaps, but it denotes a very convoluted evolutionary path. If we lost all our hair save for that which expedited movement, then it would be placed for a single method of movement. It is currently not. So what happened? Perhaps armpit hair merely redeveloped later.

Evolution in a word is... convoluted.

There is no end point, so its meanders based on various pressures that change through the course of an evolutionary past.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: March 19, 2010, 12:42:03 am »

The location of such hair could always be accidental in some fashion that's neither beneficial nor harmful. For instance, it could be triggered by certain hormones which are there primarily to serve other purposes (e.g. giving off certain scents in sweat). Just throwing the possibility out there.

Male lions grow mains to show off to females, I think it worked like this:  A yellow main means the lion never lost a fight, when a black one means he has lost in the past.  The longer a main, the more fights he's won.  Something like that. 

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: March 19, 2010, 12:44:45 am »

So, the longer our armpit hair, the more attractive we are to mates?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: March 19, 2010, 12:45:46 am »

Oh baby!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: March 19, 2010, 01:01:04 am »

Armpit hair is to hold pheromones.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: March 19, 2010, 01:05:35 am »

Evolution in a word is... convoluted.

There is no end point, so its meanders based on various pressures that change through the course of an evolutionary past.
It's also pretty hard to precisely check errors in figuring out what each evolved structure was used for.  So even if it is widely accepted that one structure has one specific purpose, there's few ways to verify that theory beyond analyzing living creatures, liberal use of Occam's Razor, and shouting matches with colleagues.  It is rather hard to find funding for an experiment lasting 3 million years, after all.

And for an example, just look at the wide amount of theories posted on hair growth in this thread.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:07 am »

Armpit hair is to hold pheromones.

The armpit is a major location for heat loss in cold weather climates, along with the head and other areas. 

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: March 19, 2010, 01:16:53 am »

Oh baby!

Heh, I was expecting worse of that spoiler. As is, it just reminded me of MGS2...

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: March 19, 2010, 01:30:35 am »

I'd be surprised if it hasn't already been asked, but will dwarves plait armpit hair? I want my dwarves to have as many beards as possible.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:15 am »

I don't think dwarves have body hair yet.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:15 am »

I don't think dwarves have body hair yet.

DF 2010 they do!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: March 19, 2010, 02:52:44 am »

I wish people would stop writing "DF2010".  It's a curse that's bound to come back and bite you...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: March 19, 2010, 02:56:32 am »

Oh baby!

Heh, I was expecting worse of that spoiler. As is, it just reminded me of MGS2...

I think we got a lil off topic here, I think the topic we are sposed to be talking about is pubic hair
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1065