Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635184 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14610 on: March 18, 2010, 03:06:14 pm »

with popping-out bones new question arises: how will we knew about this? i mean, there's just 5 different colors to describe wounds. or it will be logged in battle report/announcements?
The colors will be changed, for one. Compound fractures won't be denoted by a special color, methinks, but they'll surely be mentioned in any descriptive paragraph of your character.
The color system has been redone to be more general.
White - Body part works just fine
Yellow - Impaired body part
Red - Broken or otherwise useless body part
Cyan - Organs have lost some of their function

Sean and SirPenguin are both correct.  Additionally, once a dwarf has been diagnosed by a doctor, you get a detailed description of their injuries (along with the treatment plan) on their medical page.

I imagine there is some sort of 5th color to represent a minor injurt that causes no impairment. For instance, from the pictures of arena mode we see the gnome has a yellow lower leg after getting the bone bruised. I can't imagine that same yellow would also represent a scratch.

Brown is now used for bruises, small cuts, etc.  Dark gray is still used for severed parts.  The light gray is gone, thankfully.

Milk!

Is there a limit to how often a milkable creature can be milked, or a point at which said animal would be "tapped out" and no longer milkable?

I'm imagining six milker dwarves tag-teaming one camel for a 24/7 operation, and while horrifying amusing, I would expect a serious milk industry to require more than one animal to be effective.

The MILKABLE tag already has a frequency parameter in the current version, and that hasn't gone away.  So yeah, no 24/7 milking.

Toady, will we be able to set up defaults for squads for entities at some point in the raws? Or are entities going to have squad uniforms and whatnot programatically generated at some point?

It'd be really interesting to see different squads during sieges or as an adventurer. Imagine a human army attacking you with several nobles from different cities, each with their soldiers wearing their own specific colors and armors and bearing shields with the city's symbol on it.

Actually, if I'm reading what Toady said correctly, they already have uniforms in the current version.  It's not a pattern that could be easily noticed without graphics, though.

Quote from: kaypy
Of course, given that, have you given any thought to handling when we inevitably want "midnight blue, studded with copper (gold for legendaries), with an image of [squad logo] in [appropriate material]"
Quote from: Heph
yep i want too name tags on every uniform
Quote from: Sean Mirrsen
You know, this really calls for some way of telling crafters to do specific things. For example, grafting the symbol of your empire onto the soldiers' shields and helms, sewing images of your legendary champions onto T-shirts (with optional autographs by them), and so on.

Yeah, I used the same uniform structures that define the adv mode guard uniforms in the currently released version, and you might have noticed the little symbol thingies they wear.  It's all kind of place-holderish, but it's there.  The obstructions to doing this in dwarf mode are that it would take extra time to code the interface, and you don't have sufficient workshop control to do this.  Eventually both should be handled, but it's not clear when that will happen, though most likely once you can order up something specific at the workshops, the interface would be written at that time.  It should also probably be possible to order up entire uniforms and all related jobs at the manager, though that runs into some of the problems as similar ambitious manager ideas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: March 18, 2010, 03:19:18 pm »

Oops, missed the questions on this page.

Has instant game over conditions been brought back?

Heck no.  Does anyone actually miss them?

Any idea when DF will start using colors beyond the 16 its stuck with for now? I mean, you gave wood colors in the new release which will help with variety, but in RL most wood is some shade of brown and there is only one shade of brown in the game, currently available anyway.

It'll happen when "item display gets decoupled from the font tiles":

Quote from: Footkerchief
Will the next version display proper material colors for all items?  In last year's raws preview, mineral raws still had a DISPLAY_COLOR tag, but that seems seriously obsolete.  I did find a dev log reference (several weeks before the preview) to "color/symbol stuff for items/buildings made from materials," so I'm not sure what the deal is.

I don't get "proper" here.  Do you mean RGB colors? The stuff being fed through the grid system rather than the creature tile system is still heavily constrained.  I don't expect that to be handled until item display gets decoupled from the font tiles.  If you mean using the 16 color approximation to the RGB material color, then it should use that for items.  Minerals can still be weird because when they are a wall, you can't rely on the material's color, as background colors come up.

That might be in the nearish future, since a) Toady will be working on the top 10 ESV items soon after the release, b) "Full graphics support" is in the top 10, and c) tile/font separation would be the obvious first step for that item.  But as usual, there's no concrete timeline.

Meanwhile, in the colors article in the wiki, there are 91 various colors possible accross the rainbow which dyes are suppoused to use, but they default to the 16 available. We seem to be getting to the point where more color variety would be good.

Also, the wiki says that it has to be written in hexadecimal or something in the raws, which may hint at much more than 91 bieng possible.

If you mean the color tokens, then yeah, they're in the raws and you can define more of them.  The next version has a lot of new colors, I think.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: March 18, 2010, 03:32:36 pm »

sweet Armok, the next release feels closer than ever.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41:16 pm »

Hmmm, thanks Foot.

I wonder what issue he had with reclaim squads, then?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: March 18, 2010, 04:12:57 pm »

Hmmm, thanks Foot.

Probably assigning schedules, a default uniform, patrol routes, or some other thing that's a nuisance to initialize correctly without bothering the player.  It sounds like it was just a stopgap solution; fixing it properly wouldn't be *that* useful and postpone the release further, so...

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: March 18, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »

That might be in the nearish future, since a) Toady will be working on the top 10 ESV items soon after the release, b) "Full graphics support" is in the top 10, and c) tile/font separation would be the obvious first step for that item.  But as usual, there's no concrete timeline.

My votes are 14, 50, and 72. Damn, guess I'll be waiting a bit for those.

Urist McFortbuilder needs the new version of Dwarf Fortress to get through the working (ha!) day.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: March 18, 2010, 04:36:20 pm »

Hmmm, thanks Foot.

Probably assigning schedules, a default uniform, patrol routes, or some other thing that's a nuisance to initialize correctly without bothering the player.

Yup, that.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: March 18, 2010, 05:16:08 pm »

why in the name of Armok are we still talking about pubic hair?!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=a-bushel-of-facts-about-the-uniquen-2010-03-01

now can we stop wasting forum space on how bizarre dick-weed is? seriously.
More importantly, why did we even start talking about it?!

Interesting facts in that article, though.

More to the current direction of discussion:
Will the reclaim group still arrive with a decent level of equipment to go about the reclaiming with?  Will the equipment end up in piles because they are civilians, or will it be in a wagon or will they just wear the armor until an appropriate stockpile is designated?

--edit--

also, and realizing this probably belongs in the suggestion thread rather than here, is it/will it be possible to set fortress mode to start out as paused on embark/reclaim, so we can give initial orders before the dorfs start taking breaks and getting drinks? (realizing there might already be a switch in the init file that does this that I just don't know about.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:19:45 pm by Reese »
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: March 18, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »

this isn't technical, but if you press pause once while the text is up before embark, it will start out paused.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: March 18, 2010, 05:32:35 pm »

Meanwhile, in the colors article in the wiki, there are 91 various colors possible accross the rainbow which dyes are suppoused to use, but they default to the 16 available. We seem to be getting to the point where more color variety would be good.

Also, the wiki says that it has to be written in hexadecimal or something in the raws, which may hint at much more than 91 bieng possible.

If you mean the color tokens, then yeah, they're in the raws and you can define more of them.  The next version has a lot of new colors, I think.

Wouldn't they still default to the 16 default colors we have now?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: March 18, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »

Yes, the RGB colors get approximated to the nearest of the 16 colors.  It's still beneficial to have nuanced color names though (so that the descriptive paragraph can tell you that someone's hair is carmine instead of just red), and later on they'll be displayed in their full 24-bit glory.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: March 18, 2010, 06:32:21 pm »

are the colors that are used for descriptors actually going to be used visually at some point?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: March 18, 2010, 06:35:26 pm »

are the colors that are used for descriptors actually going to be used visually at some point?

Those are the ones we've been talking about.  They are in fact 24-bit RGB colors, not just descriptors.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:38:20 pm by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: March 18, 2010, 06:36:03 pm »

Yes, the RGB colors get approximated to the nearest of the 16 colors.  It's still beneficial to have nuanced color names though (so that the descriptive paragraph can tell you that someone's hair is carmine instead of just red), and later on they'll be displayed in their full 24-bit glory.

True on the point about nuanced color names.

@Greenwatering: Footkerchief already answered that as part of his answer to my question a bit further up the page.

Ninja'd, heh

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14624 on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:19 pm »

no he didn't. he said that there would be more color. and he said that those were colors.

i asked if those colors in the raws would actually what an eventual game would use, or if there would be more colors, but not necessarily those ones, remaining as descriptors?

and that wasn't ninja'ing, i'm not sober at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1065