Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635140 times)

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14565 on: March 18, 2010, 01:28:54 am »

I've learned so much reading threads like this in the DF forum. Although most of it has little revelvance to anything in my life and I didn't want to learn any of it in the first place. It's really amazing the kind of random stuff we chain together here. I find this discussion less disgusting then when we were looking at necrosis tissue and flesh melting poison picture.

Oh course now that you bastards have brought up this body hair my mind is concocting weird gameplay questions like whether or not a Dwarf that's been shaven clean can swim faster then one who hasn't.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14566 on: March 18, 2010, 01:33:54 am »

Quote from: Other people
Pubic hair discussion

Personally, I compare them to the heat-sinks on CPUs. Seeing as the CPU is the "brain" of the computer, and they say that us males think with our genitals.

But...but...heat sinks absorb heat and hair retains heat... *nerd brain asplode*

Oh course now that you bastards have brought up this body hair my mind is concocting weird gameplay questions like whether or not a Dwarf that's been shaven clean can swim faster then one who hasn't.

In version 1.0, I'm sure he will. But I do not have to tell you that you could never convince a dwarf to shave.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: March 18, 2010, 01:37:43 am »

Obviously not! The beard is very hydrodynamic. Especially in magma. Magmadynamic. (Water swimming is for ELVES)

And what kind of dwarf is clean-shaven, anyways...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: March 18, 2010, 01:39:43 am »

that's interesting- can you grab enemy by the beard, while wrestling?
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: March 18, 2010, 01:48:30 am »

Are rope ladders or other ways to climb down without building a staircase on the lower level in this release? I'd love to be able to make a giant pit with smooth walls.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:22 am »

I thought pubic and underarm hair were to trap pheremones.

This was my understanding too. I can't cite my sources because I have no idea where I first heard it. Also this is sort of a strange tangential discussion.

I remember that being purpose of underarm arm hair, however human beings have no function ability to denote pheromones.

If I recall, there a small tingle of registry but nothing of merit.
Maybe not consciously, but humans can definitely detect pheremones. There've been conclusive studies. For example, when an ovulating woman's sweat was introduced to a room, men on average rated the same group of female photographs significantly higher in attractiveness than when the scent of a non-ovulating woman was introduced.
Citation?
Ah, I looked it up and either I can't fine the one I'm looking for, or I mentally combined two studies. Never the less, my point still stands, that pheromones are significant in human behavior.
In this first one, the males were rating the attractiveness of the scent directly:
http://beheco.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/15/4/579
In this second one, females were rating the attractiveness of photographs of males while exposed to male hormones:
http://www.nel.edu/pdf_w/23_4/NEL230402R03_Thorne_rw.pdf

Are rope ladders or other ways to climb down without building a staircase on the lower level in this release? I'd love to be able to make a giant pit with smooth walls.
Rope ladders are out for this release, but stairs have had some restrictions on their construction relaxed, at least until multi-z level constructions are implemented.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:00:19 am by monkeyfetus »
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14571 on: March 18, 2010, 02:00:01 am »

I think he kinda skipped over them, and implemented a non-realistic-hacky-version, by making stairs be able to be buildable from above.

This, however, raises another question:

With the hacky-temporary-rope-ladder-solution, can Dwarves dissasemble/remove stairs from above?

In my mind, this is why rope ladders were originaly suggested - So that we can have proper shafts (for wells, dropping pits, and so on).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:41:43 am by James.Denholm »
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:05 am »

Being able to build stairs from above is entirely realistic though, it's always driven me insane that i can build up just fine, but it's impossible to build down.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:16 am »

Being able to build stairs from above is entirely realistic though, it's always driven me insane that i can build up just fine, but it's impossible to build down.

Well... Exactly. He's changed the behaviour so that they can be built from above - ie, they can be built down.

Quote not forthcoming. From me, at least.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: March 18, 2010, 03:24:02 am »

Well... Exactly. He's changed the behaviour so that they can be built from above - ie, they can be built down.

Quote not forthcoming. From me, at least.

I know, it's a lovely change.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: March 18, 2010, 03:32:28 am »

But when will the game be done!?     :p

Eight years.

YOU CAN DO IT TOADY! 2 MORE YEARS TO GO!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: March 18, 2010, 03:33:51 am »

Eight years.

You just destroyed the dreams of dozens of people.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14577 on: March 18, 2010, 03:37:21 am »

Eight years.

So?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: March 18, 2010, 03:39:37 am »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: March 18, 2010, 03:46:07 am »

Eight years.

Dwarven way.
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1065