Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635068 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14505 on: March 17, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »

why is this such an issue!?

There was some kind of bet later back. It's pointless.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: March 17, 2010, 04:29:39 pm »

My question is: Will this tread reach 1000 before the game drops?

My question is: did you notice that people have been spamming about this for months, particularly in the last couple weeks?

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: March 17, 2010, 04:33:02 pm »

i have noticed. it's really, really annoying, but i'v already expressed this.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: March 17, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »

that last link tells us why foot is so good at what he does. wow, i could have inlined that, sorry.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: March 17, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »

At least people mostly try to stay on topic here, unlike the recent updates thread of a webcomic I watch (I watch the forum a bit, but I have not registered there).  Thread derailments are probably more than half of that thread (which keeps getting a new top-level post every time it reaches 100 pages or so, and it's currently at number 12 -- the first one seems to have been in August of '09).

In an attempt to stay on-topic: The "get back to work" recruitment exploit is fixed?  I guess this means I actually -will- have to start pulling my hair out (like I did before I knew about that exploit) when important dwarves go on break in the new version.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: March 17, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »

don't dwarves that have a higher level take breaks more?

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:05 pm »

If you have a function which is desperately important like that, it may be necessary to have more than one dwarf filling it. This would also help guard against various accidents that could put the dwarf out of commission. Of course, there's nothing to stop both dwarfs from going on break at the same time...

Although, aside from many lazy brokers, I don't think I've ever had a dwarf screw me that bad by going on break...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:09 pm »

Yeah, I think my trade broker is the only dwarf who ever actually annoys me by going on break (and then only when there is trading to be done)

Every other job has multiple dwarves assigned to it, and very rarely are those jobs so critical that only my legendary is allowed to perform it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: March 17, 2010, 05:01:05 pm »

At least (hopefully) no more children punching your legendary adventurer into a bloody mass... 

Too bad the way the game is structured you can't have your legendary adventurer simply dog piled by tons of enemies and crushed to death.

All of a sudden, I'm reminded of a D&D discussion on another forum, during which we questioned the number of level 0 children it would take to kill a level 20 fighter, given the scenario that the fighter is on the Plane of Infinite Homicidal Children.

I believe the agreed upon total was just over 6 billion (fewer if they died in such a manner that the fighter would be covered in a pile of corpses that eventually suffocates him, I believe the number for this scenario was decided to be a mere 10000), before the discussion degraded into arguments about how the fighter should be best built to specifically survive as long as possible.  The ability to sleep 8 hours per day, while still being constantly attacked by children, was involved.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: March 17, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »

I wonder how much the materials rewrite will affect prices; in my opinion it isn't fine-grained enough: common stone should be worth pennies; not one dwarfbuck. This would allow for more reasonable crafts.

It would be reasonable to make worthless stone worth less, but... if that were to happen, I think it should wait for the caravan arc because I shouldn't be able to order endless amounts of worthless stone on the cheap, merchants should mark up the price of any stone they bring based on how far they have to bring it- if you want raw shale, it may be worth .001 dorfbucks per chunk, but you should have to pay another 2.999 dorfbucks in shipping.

After all, look at public works stuff IRL- the county isn't paying for the dirt it uses for fill or getting rid of the dirt when it makes a cut, it's paying to have the dirt hauled to or from the site.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: March 17, 2010, 06:02:36 pm »

I wonder how much the materials rewrite will affect prices; in my opinion it isn't fine-grained enough: common stone should be worth pennies; not one dwarfbuck. This would allow for more reasonable crafts.

It would be reasonable to make worthless stone worth less, but... if that were to happen, I think it should wait for the caravan arc because I shouldn't be able to order endless amounts of worthless stone on the cheap, merchants should mark up the price of any stone they bring based on how far they have to bring it- if you want raw shale, it may be worth .001 dorfbucks per chunk, but you should have to pay another 2.999 dorfbucks in shipping.

After all, look at public works stuff IRL- the county isn't paying for the dirt it uses for fill or getting rid of the dirt when it makes a cut, it's paying to have the dirt hauled to or from the site.

The ingame economy is borked in more ways than one, we don't need to make it worse than it is right now.

As for the stone stuff, maybe the mechanics could put enough stone in to meet or exceed a certain weight?

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: March 17, 2010, 06:22:49 pm »

I think a quick fix to the eccon would be to make it so X% of the population is poor and simply must have less standard of living then the next class up
Thank you based dwarf.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »

I think a quick fix to the eccon would be to make it so X% of the population is poor and simply must have less standard of living then the next class up

Nah, the next time the encon gets touched is with the caravan overhaul, where it'll be completly chucked out.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: March 17, 2010, 06:31:21 pm »

In another question, I have a fortress where my military are all marksdwarves and wrestlers. I got sick of my fort piled high with chunks and various limbs of our enemies, where wrestling and crossbows are a bit neater. Do broken bolts get removed over seasons or otherwise degrade? They will never get hauled, is that right?

Bolts (and other ammo) that are truly broken don't show up as items at all -- they just look like broken-up terrain or something.  However, sometimes bolts fall to the ground intact -- these won't degrade, but they'll be hauled as long as they're not forbidden and the "Dwarves gather refuse from outside" order is turned on.

Aren't unharmed used bolts auto-forbidden and not auto-dumped as a default? (Orders -> Forbid) And they're not normal refuse either. So to clean them away you'd have to unforbid and dump them.
And the broken bolts (more than or equal -sign), I think, are regular refuse, and will be cleaned if they are inside (or outside and the relevant option is on). They are, however, apparently not items and won't be hauled; a cleaning job will wipe them from existence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: March 17, 2010, 06:33:58 pm »

Aren't unharmed used bolts auto-forbidden and not auto-dumped as a default? (Orders -> Forbid) And they're not normal refuse either. So to clean them away you'd have to unforbid and dump them.

I was just talking about taking them to a stockpile, not dumping them, but you're right that it wouldn't use refuse hauling (I got confused there since gordy was talking about body parts too).
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1065