Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634952 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14460 on: March 17, 2010, 11:19:32 am »

Yeah but now you can fuck around with peoples' torn out intestines, just like in a real wrestling match!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: March 17, 2010, 11:19:43 am »

I think while wresting will be mostly the same, punching and kicking should be more reasonable in next version:
* minimum and maximum strength can be defined for every race so it can be better balanced
* separate skill for them - grasp strikes and stance strikes - again easier to balance stuff
* more attributes and attributes linked to skills - no more training strength by talking
* better body structure - now a punch has to damage all the tissues etc instead of just exploding the body part it hits.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:28:02 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:11 am »

on principle, my dwarves only ever use axes and hammers. usually axes.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:47 am »

I prefer hammers, they don't get stuck in zombie things...

Also while we are at it, I have a question.
In the current version bludgeon weapons very often send things fly. While it is ridiculous and unrealistic it is also very fun and I don't want it changed.

In the next version if I hit an opponent with bludgeon weapon with enough force to send send him fly, but he has enough armor to receive no damage, will he still go flying?
Imho it should, the armor will protect the area where he was hit, but the force won't go nowhere. If he has so much armor he should receive little or no damage also while 'landing' later, but he should be propelled normally. Ok maybe a little less because with armor he is heavier.
So how will it work?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:38:48 am by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: March 17, 2010, 11:49:49 am »

If people & items have proper weight, I wonder if it'll be much harder to propel enemies with bludgeon.

Perhaps only super-trap weapons should propel people, as is it's a little ridiculous to send a goblin in full armor flying with a hammer strike, no matter the power behind the blow...
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:06 am »

Well, not more then a tile or two anyway. I *have* been thrown in full armor by really big guys before, so I know it's possible. You just won't go flying twenty feet or anything like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: March 17, 2010, 12:09:53 pm »

I think while wresting will be mostly the same, punching and kicking should be more reasonable in next version

In other ways this is a bit sad too. Since no longer is just using your martial arts skills viable.

At least until Fist weapons and/or magical martial arts.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: March 17, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »

At least (hopefully) no more children punching your legendary adventurer into a bloody mass... 
It explodes in gore!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »

At least (hopefully) no more children punching your legendary adventurer into a bloody mass... 

Too bad the way the game is structured you can't have your legendary adventurer simply dog piled by tons of enemies and crushed to death.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: March 17, 2010, 12:15:17 pm »

i think normal combat will still somewhat depend on wrestling skill anyways.

like, this one time. i was trying to cross train my military such that they would get wrestling all the way up until but not to hero status, then switch them over to using axes so that they have twice the training with armor.

when i did though, their wresting skills still went up, even though they weren't practicing with it. my dwarves became hero wrestlers before they got enough ax practice in.

so i think that wrestling is still import like how hammering is important for marksdwarves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:56 pm »

At least you won't get stuck with permanent heroes in the next release since even legendary weaponusers/wrestlers can be deactivated to civillian status.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: March 17, 2010, 12:27:29 pm »

Too bad the way the game is structured you can't have your legendary adventurer simply dog piled by tons of enemies and crushed to death.

I believe there is a penalty for being dogpiled.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:44 pm »

I think in the next version, small wounds will cumulate somewhat so actually lots of weak creatures have more chance against someone strong.

What I meant is that hopefully random child wouldn't be able to insta-kill you with one punch.
"The child punches you in the upper body! It collapses into a lump of gore!"
Many of my adventurers died like that.

At least you won't get stuck with permanent heroes in the next release since even legendary weaponusers/wrestlers can be deactivated to civillian status.

Yeah I like it too. I would be able to make my legendary soldiers go hunt. Or just help with hauling if I need so.
Also training civilian dwarves in unarmed combat may be usefull in dangerous areas.

Hopefully training is more balanced so no more army of 30 legendary weaponmasters in the third year.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:42:11 pm by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: March 17, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

i think normal combat will still somewhat depend on wrestling skill anyways.

like, this one time. i was trying to cross train my military such that they would get wrestling all the way up until but not to hero status, then switch them over to using axes so that they have twice the training with armor.

when i did though, their wresting skills still went up, even though they weren't practicing with it. my dwarves became hero wrestlers before they got enough ax practice in.

so i think that wrestling is still import like how hammering is important for marksdwarves.

I imagine wrestling will still remain important in case you get grappled, but from my understanding Toady has split apart all the misc. skills that used to be governed by wrestling. Most importantly, wrestling no longer governs dodging:

They can currently teach weapon skills, wrestling, dodging, punching (grasp strikes), kicking (stance strikes), shield and armor use, yeah.  They can also teach general close-quarters/ranged combat principles.  They won't actually teach kicking though, since it's not a primary attack for dwarves -- biting is the same way.  If you have a mod where biting is the primary attack, they'll teach biting instead.  If you have multiple primary attacks, they'll teach all of the relevant skills.  I think if a tantrumer learns throwing, they'll also start teaching the dwarves that, he he he.  The examples throwers give in class based on their wealth of experience must be pretty funny.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:32 pm »

Yea, it'll make having citizen-soldiers more feaseable without worrying about getting stuck with non-deactivateable heroes.

Although, we will still have a champion position, which would be akin to a war hero or something because in the raws that Toady showed us, there was something about a morale boost coming from that position.

I wonder whether we will be able to 'retire' veteran soldiers from active duty and still have them train others.
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1065