Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634881 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14445 on: March 17, 2010, 07:11:28 am »

Hey, I've always wanted to know.

Do you guys think that Legendary Wrestlers pull of Fist of the North Star style crap from time to time? Like, they just punch people and watch them explode? I'd love to see randomised martial arts (Like, *RNG name*, martial art based on *bodypart*) made in worldgen.

(Bonus points if you can guess what I'm watching.)

I would also like issues of diplomacy settled by mahjong.
Thank you based dwarf.

NerfJihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:08 am »

I'd like to point out that this is the only game forum where people argue about glassmaking, metallurgy, geology, geophysics, biology, weapon and martial arts tactics, and horrible things for people to do to each other whilst still remaining on-topic and discussing a relevant and important part of the game at hand. Bravo.

Also: is there some way I can just set up a little sandbox to test stuff in? I hear all sorts of things from the devlog and am curious how that works. <_< is it part of the program already? Can we get that in the next release? That sounds ridiculously fun, to be honest.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:36:21 am by NerfJihad »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: March 17, 2010, 07:40:56 am »

The Arena is available in the next release, lets you experiment with stuff.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14448 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:53 am »

I would also like issues of diplomacy settled by mahjong.
There it is! RISING SUN!

Most awesome series ever.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:20 am »

Hey, I've always wanted to know.

Do you guys think that Legendary Wrestlers pull of Fist of the North Star style crap from time to time? Like, they just punch people and watch them explode? I'd love to see randomised martial arts (Like, *RNG name*, martial art based on *bodypart*) made in worldgen.

(Bonus points if you can guess what I'm watching.)

nah, toady made perfect wrestling and legendary wrestling is all about throwing and locking just very precise and fast and powerfull. and you watch too much anime, bro.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: March 17, 2010, 08:29:21 am »

I am a bit surprised Toady caught onto what I was asking (Well at least the gist) so thank you Toady for answering my question.

I really gotta start showing up around here more and finish some of those projects I said I would.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:35 am »

nah, toady made perfect wrestling and legendary wrestling is all about throwing and locking just very precise and fast and powerfull. and you watch too much anime, bro.
I wouldn't say it's perfect. Pinching is a far too effective way of delivering pain, being prone makes you three times slower in doing everything, and whenever you punch someone, it just chooses a random body part, regardless of skill, effectiveness or geometry. Also, if your holding two wolf corpses, you can grapple someones little toe with each corpse, each hand, each elbow, and each shoulder, for a total of eight holds on a single, tiny bodypart.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:02:35 am by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:27 am »

for the Crystal glass discussion (the second time in this thread i think):

I like to prompt you Selenite. The stuff looks like this and this. We germans Nicknamed selenite "Marienglas"   (translates roughly to: "St. Marie's Glas") because sheets of selenite were used as glass replacement in shrines and show cases during the middle-ages because it was clearer then normal glass and had a uniform thickness. 

Selenite crystals should be findable in gypsum.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:06 am »

Punching with gore explosions is the Doom berserker pack. I can still hear that sound ...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: March 17, 2010, 09:49:52 am »

and you watch too much anime, bro.
Not possible. There is never too much anime.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:37 am »

Well a Giant can cave your chest in with a single punch, and a really high legendary dwarf is probably more dangerous than a low-level giant so, I'd say that heads probably do get smashed into bodies now and again by wrestlers.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: March 17, 2010, 10:00:01 am »

Toady seems to be about three days away, and we're forty-five pages from 1000! Come on, guys! Last push!
Cut that out. It's meaningless if you're posting for posts.
( Carry on the story. A single sentence / statement is what works best. )
There's a Forum Games forum for that.
Spoiler: FKC beat me to it (click to show/hide)
I am positive I remember Toady mention that a single burrow can span multiple z levels.

However when I tried to steal Foot's thunder by finding the quote I failed.  I think he has the search function bribed to do his bidding, and anybody but him searching for an answer comes up with nothing.
is 'cause it's in the devlog, not this thread.
Hey Toady, i've heard you gonna make little fixes and additions after A release, so heres questions/requests, i'm particulary interested in minor code improvements that may be simple for you, but add drastic modding possibilities, and thus change gameplay.
He's said the gates closed for that a while back.
On the topic of Footkerchief:

I'm pretty sure, he just compiles in a text or word file every post made by Toady. Then, any time someone has a question about something already posted, he just searchs that file, which is a lot better than the in-forum search engine.

Or maybe he's set up a wiki, and interlinked everything? That'd be pretty crazy.

Noah
The In-forum search engine is better than you might think, if you know how to grok it. If you've got a good memory it becomes fairly trivial to find something you remember Toady saying.

Damn. I'll never be any good at it then, my memory is terrible.
P.S. you can't know how to grok something, you either do or you don't. Knowing how to grok is a meaningless and impossible statement.
This forum's search function is tricky because you can't phrase-search, and it doesn't e'en stop substrings. First, remember the author. Barring that, the trick is to remember 3-5 Important Words (as few as 1 if uniquely there). Example: "Oregon/Dwarven Trail mode" for describing the expedition to get to the fort site.
Also grok is a stupid word.

Not least because of its original context.
Is not. (non-Scots?)English lacked a word for this, some other lingua did not. Compare wissen to kennen in German, for instance.

Also, Heinlein's certainly worth reading, though some of his later works Got Weird.
Ahaha. Tell this to graphite and diamonds.

Ouch, chemical burn!  ;)
Bwahahaha! Well played. ;D
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:36 am »

The problem with rock crystal being difficult to find is due to part of DF's geological simulation. The area around your fort is going to have a lot of a specific mineral, or very little--probably none--of it. There's a lot of possible gems, so the likelyhood that your mountain contains the only one you can use for crystal glass is rather slim.

The likelyhood for other gems is about the same, yet I find some of them very often in every fort. Like clear tourmaline and clear zircon for example.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:52 am »

I wouldn't say it's perfect. Pinching is a far too effective way of delivering pain, being prone makes you three times slower in doing everything, and whenever you punch someone, it just chooses a random body part, regardless of skill, effectiveness or geometry. Also, if your holding two wolf corpses, you can grapple someones little toe with each corpse, each hand, each elbow, and each shoulder, for a total of eight holds on a single, tiny bodypart.

yea, i know, thats why i soo looking forward next release.
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:42 am »

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The pinching problem may be fixed, but the rest of the issues are pretty much unchanged, if I remember correctly.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1065