Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634840 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14415 on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:44 pm »

The problem with rock crystal being difficult to find is due to part of DF's geological simulation. The area around your fort is going to have a lot of a specific mineral, or very little--probably none--of it. There's a lot of possible gems, so the likelyhood that your mountain contains the only one you can use for crystal glass is rather slim.

An interesting idea, wonder if it's been asked.

Can a poison be made that changes a victim from one species to another, so as to spread a monster infection (Such a lycantrophy), or on to create a zombie or some species (I can think of a few things that could be modded in to be sure) on death?

It's been asked many times before in this thread alone, and the answer is no. Poisons cannot alter the creature type in any way, and creatures can only become corpses or items on death. Presumably you could get a creature to drop a sort of venomous ferret or something, since vermin are technically creatures AND items, but you wouldn't be able to relate it to the original creature being infected by something.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:27:55 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:29 pm »

Its however on the to-do list, on the far future todo list.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: March 16, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

is there any way that uncut gems could be traded for, like how sand is now going to be trade-able?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: March 16, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »

is there any way that uncut gems could be traded for, like how sand is now going to be trade-able?

Entity trade items are hardcored and based on availability.

So yes, but it requires Toady.

You can probably make an enitiy trade an item then have a smelter reaction change it into a n uncut gems.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: March 16, 2010, 10:52:35 pm »

The problem with rock crystal being difficult to find is due to part of DF's geological simulation. The area around your fort is going to have a lot of a specific mineral, or very little--probably none--of it. There's a lot of possible gems, so the likelyhood that your mountain contains the only one you can use for crystal glass is rather slim.

I don't think I've ever had a fortress where I couldn't find Rock Crystal. Man, that is really wierd now that I think about it. Perhaps the [GLASS] tag interferes with it being brought by traders.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

rough rock crystal is a gem, not necessarily having anything to do with glass.
i have gotten fortresses where i could trade for cut rock crystal.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14421 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:10 am »

Thing is, when you get rock crystal on your map, you get lots! It makes up for itself.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:22 am »

i wish that there was some way to make crystal glass from any uncut gem. where the resulting glass item's color and value was due to the color and value of the kind of gem used.

like, a yellow diamond used would produce a high value, yellow, crystal glass object.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:15:22 am by greenwatering »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: March 17, 2010, 12:22:41 am »

i wish that there was some way to make crystal glass from any uncut gem. where the resulting glass item's color and value was due to the color and value of the kind of gem used.

like, a yellow diamond used would produce a high value, yellow, crystal glass object.
Those'd be Gem Windows, at the moment. No idea how three gems fit together to make a window, but whatever...
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:44 am »

i wish that there was some way to make crystal glass from any uncut gem.

This honestly doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Carving small objects out of gems makes sense, sure, but crystal glass is glass, specifically glass made from rock crystal, which is very pure quartz.

That's why it works. Glass is silica, and so is quartz. Sand used in glassmaking is basically just really fine quartz.

You cannot, however, make a form of glass by just melting down whatever gems/stones you happen to find. You just get melted... well, melted whatever-it-is-you-started-with, and that's not necessarily very useful to have around. Besides, many gems are made of materials with extremely high melting points anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14425 on: March 17, 2010, 12:44:35 am »

I'd even settle for the ability to make crystal glass with cut rock crystals.  The fact that you can't is a real smack to the face when you consider how relatively uncommon rock crystals are.
Sanity is for the weak.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #14426 on: March 17, 2010, 12:59:35 am »

I'd even settle for the ability to make crystal glass with cut rock crystals.  The fact that you can't is a real smack to the face when you consider how relatively uncommon rock crystals are.

Use that roughen blocks/uncut gems mod, or at least the one reaction for cut rock crystals. It does a mean thing to your smelter jobs list, but thats what the job manager is for.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: March 17, 2010, 01:03:48 am »

I don't see the difference between crystal glass, and clear glass...

Teckno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:33 am »

Teckno cancels lurk: Interrupted by question.

Is the new version planned to address any of the expoity stuff, like the atom smasher, or quantum stockpiling?

I for one would like my drawbridges to do something bit more bloody then smash stuff out of existence.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:45 am »

I'm putting my over optimistic bet on next Thursday. Why? Well... I don't know. Seems like a good day i guess.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1065