Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634801 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14370 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »

Like the end of Caligula II.
There was a sequel?! Christ Almighty.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14371 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »

Go figure...not only has Toady created a kickass game, he's found a way to implement universal free health care!  :D

Well it's long been known that Dwarves are heartily Communist.

Urist McSurgeon cancels store item in bin: Attending Death Panel
Canadas not communist...
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: March 16, 2010, 05:31:42 pm »

Go figure...not only has Toady created a kickass game, he's found a way to implement universal free health care!  :D

Canadas not communist...

Their milk comes in bags. Same thing.

Internet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: March 16, 2010, 05:42:54 pm »

Uh, mountains DO have roots, your breath can still smell like fish, and I believe there are a few species of asian cave dwelling birds or something that use spit to make their nests. Bears not having sinews depends on your definition of sinew.

Factually inaccurate mythology?  Alert the internet!

Thank you Footkerchief, we'll get right on it.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: March 16, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »

Canadas not communist...
Canada has socialized health care, not universally free healthcare. They pay for it in taxes.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: March 16, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »

On the topic of Footkerchief:

I'm pretty sure, he just compiles in a text or word file every post made by Toady. Then, any time someone has a question about something already posted, he just searchs that file, which is a lot better than the in-forum search engine.

Or maybe he's set up a wiki, and interlinked everything? That'd be pretty crazy.

Noah

I don't have any resources of my own.  I've considered maintaining a text file but I'm too lazy.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: March 16, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »

I think most of the people on this forum are smarter or more educated than me, and it makes me feel uneasy... like something will jump out and attack me.  It's an unusual sensation.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: March 16, 2010, 06:01:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure, he just compiles in a text or word file every post made by Toady. Then, any time someone has a question about something already posted, he just searchs that file, which is a lot better than the in-forum search engine.

Or maybe he's set up a wiki, and interlinked everything? That'd be pretty crazy.

Noah
The In-forum search engine is better than you might think, if you know how to grok it. If you've got a good memory it becomes fairly trivial to find something you remember Toady saying.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:14 pm »

Canada has socialized health care, not universally free healthcare. They pay for it in taxes.

*gives a funny look*

Health care gets paid for by someone, one way or another.

In a communist system, everything can be considered to come from taxes, since all things pass in to the control/ownership of the government and then are distributed.

In DF, all dwarfs pay 100% taxes to the fort and are given what they need in food, drink, and lodging by the fort (at least, until the economy kicks in)

the economy as it stands now in DF is basically corrupt communism where a select few (the legendaries and nobles) can take what they want, the favored (those given jobs in industry you use) have what they need, and everyone else (basically anyone who's a hauler or otherwise idles a lot) are lucky to have even what they need.

any government run health care is basically paid for by the people who pay taxes to that government, whether it's a doctor and skilled laborers who pay with their labor to cause the healthcare or the tax payer contributing money.

Toady, is it possible we might see insurance or mutual aid societies in the future, where dwarfs can get together and help each other pay for expensive things (like, say better off family members allowing their poorer relatives to use their accounts or a group of farmers pooling their money to help pay the medical costs of an injured farmer)

I think it would be cool to have dwarf family connections count for something more than whether or not you are going to be getting a tantrum spiral.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: March 16, 2010, 06:09:17 pm »

I think most of the people on this forum are smarter or more educated than me, and it makes me feel uneasy... like something will jump out and attack me.  It's an unusual sensation.

JohnLukeG cancels task: Interrupted by the educated.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: March 16, 2010, 06:12:44 pm »

JohnLukeG cancels task: Interrupted by the educated.

Well, I do have a propensity for fleeing. 

I often flee.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: March 16, 2010, 06:37:27 pm »

Noah
The In-forum search engine is better than you might think, if you know how to grok it. If you've got a good memory it becomes fairly trivial to find something you remember Toady saying.

Damn. I'll never be any good at it then, my memory is terrible.
P.S. you can't know how to grok something, you either do or you don't. Knowing how to grok is a meaningless and impossible statement.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: March 16, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »

P.S. you can't know how to grok something, you either do or you don't. Knowing how to grok is a meaningless and impossible statement.
Wikipedia says to "grok" is to "share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity" - so knowing how to grok would mean you know how to share the same reality, but are not currently doing so, or something. Also grok is a stupid word.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: March 16, 2010, 06:48:06 pm »

That isn't the most accurate definition.  Grok, as defined here, means "to understand".  It connotes intimate and exhaustive knowledge of the subject at hand.

I like "grok".  I'll have to find more reasons to use it, though there aren't many that particularly apply to me.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: March 16, 2010, 06:51:33 pm »

I'm going to start adding it to my list of oft-used words. Maybe in the Shadowrun style "You grok me?".
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1065