Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634667 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14295 on: March 16, 2010, 02:56:10 am »

A clarification on the grasp-size thing. Currently, what creature can hold what weapon is determined by the overall creature size, which is somewhat limiting. Since we can now determine the absolute size of a bodypart (by correlation between all subsizes in a defined body size), we could swap out the minimum/maximum size tags and the two-handed tag for just one tag, [GRASP_SIZE:X:Y]. The X being the "thickness", or minimum grasp size that can effectively hold the weapon, and the Y being the "length" or maximum size of simultaneous grasps. If the calculated grasp size of a creature is less than X, the weapon can only be hauled. If it's more than X and less than a third of Y, the creature can wield the weapon only two-handed. If it's anywhere between a third and two thirds of Y, the creature can wield the weapon one or two-handed. If it's more than two thirds of Y, the weapon can only be wielded one-handed.

Okay, the above might sound a little too complicated for little gain, but I thought of two cases that wouldn't make sense. A Tyrannosaurus Rex (and similar critters) is huginormous, but has small hands - he wouldn't be able to equip a monstrous sword made for Titans' use, even if he is of comparable size. On the contrary, a magical "floating hand" would be very small - but since it's both magical and essentially a hand in and of itself, it would be able to wield any weapon that a human could wield one-handed. I thought that this bit of "realism" was a logical step forward.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14296 on: March 16, 2010, 03:12:14 am »

A clarification on the grasp-size thing. Currently, what creature can hold what weapon is determined by the overall creature size, which is somewhat limiting. Since we can now determine the absolute size of a bodypart (by correlation between all subsizes in a defined body size), we could swap out the minimum/maximum size tags and the two-handed tag for just one tag, [GRASP_SIZE:X:Y]. The X being the "thickness", or minimum grasp size that can effectively hold the weapon, and the Y being the "length" or maximum size of simultaneous grasps. If the calculated grasp size of a creature is less than X, the weapon can only be hauled. If it's more than X and less than a third of Y, the creature can wield the weapon only two-handed. If it's anywhere between a third and two thirds of Y, the creature can wield the weapon one or two-handed. If it's more than two thirds of Y, the weapon can only be wielded one-handed.

We can implement grasp sizes to stop faires from doing more than hauling greatswords, but will that be enough to prevent a sufficiently bad dwarf from defending himself with a gabbro cabinet?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14297 on: March 16, 2010, 03:18:18 am »

Quote from: Quietust
Will ore smelting be changed to always require coal fuel? As it is, in Real Life, Cinnabar is the only ore that can be smelted (into Mercury) using nothing but heat, while all other ores require a reducing agent, usually coke.

If it's not super-annoying to play, I don't mind making things more realistic.  Without coal deposits, you'd need more trees to die, and that's wholesomely dwarven, but if you can't send lumber parties off-map, it might start to get too extreme to demand one unit of coal for every single ore item that is dropped.
Once trees get some more love (and give something more than "one wood" each) this problem might not be too big.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14298 on: March 16, 2010, 03:28:38 am »

DF is moving ahead, but unfortunately it has had its arms and legs lopped off.
Actually, I think DF is more like the end boss in mass effect 2. Think about it.
A giant, illogical and completely inexplicable skull that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in every context known to man and has single-handedly been personally responsible for millions of brain aneurysms in sci-fi fans worldwide?
It made perfect sense if you talked to Legion enough first. I would imagine that most people didn't, due to how late you generally get him.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14299 on: March 16, 2010, 03:31:13 am »

We can implement grasp sizes to stop faires from doing more than hauling greatswords, but will that be enough to prevent a sufficiently bad dwarf from defending himself with a gabbro cabinet?
Yes if all items are merged into one class, and if cabinets will have a raw definition.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14300 on: March 16, 2010, 03:31:33 am »

Actually, I think DF is more like the end boss in mass effect 2. Think about it.
A giant, illogical and completely inexplicable skull that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in every context known to man and has single-handedly been personally responsible for millions of brain aneurysms in sci-fi fans worldwide?
It made perfect sense if you talked to Legion enough first. I would imagine that most people didn't, due to how late you generally get him.
Making a robot out of people does not make sense.
At all.
Ever.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14301 on: March 16, 2010, 03:43:07 am »

At all.
Ever.
Probably best to use spoilers for the sake of the folks that haven't played it yet.
Spoiler: Mass Effect spoilers (click to show/hide)

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14302 on: March 16, 2010, 03:44:58 am »

Its not about the existence of such things - its more about how hard it is to achieve such things.

Or how hard to get. The roots of a mountain is kind of the odd one out because granite technically forms the base of the continents and if you dig deep enough....

I think the general idea is that the chain is made out of things that don't exist, because if it doesn't exist, you can't break it!

Also, could it be that "the roots of a mountain" was a kenning for adamantine?

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14303 on: March 16, 2010, 03:56:04 am »

"Footkerchief is a deity of The Bay-Forum of Twelve. Footkerchief most often takes the form of a User and is associated with the search function, quotations and knowledge."

He is  god, I search the same thing and I get nowhere the same yields
Thank you based dwarf.

Antagonist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14304 on: March 16, 2010, 04:05:58 am »

By that logic a female virgin(maiden?) dwarf beard should provide adamantine levels of protection.

Hmmm....

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14305 on: March 16, 2010, 04:38:56 am »

At all.
Ever.
Probably best to use spoilers for the sake of the folks that haven't played it yet.
Spoiler: Mass Effect spoilers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:46:36 am by Neruz »

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14306 on: March 16, 2010, 04:44:30 am »

By that logic a female virgin(maiden?) dwarf beard should provide adamantine levels of protection.

Hmmm....

Absolutely. There is a catch though, they will have your arms removed when you try to approach the owner of said beard in a groping or cutting fashion. Like it was easy to locate it in the first place. Guess it adds to the challenge. :D

---

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14307 on: March 16, 2010, 04:46:35 am »

Its not about the existence of such things - its more about how hard it is to achieve such things.

Or how hard to get. The roots of a mountain is kind of the odd one out because granite technically forms the base of the continents and if you dig deep enough....

I think the general idea is that the chain is made out of things that don't exist, because if it doesn't exist, you can't break it!

Yes. The point is they don't exist. The giant slavering beastie is held back by nothing. Which as noted, is unbreakable. And fortunately for everyone involved, he doesn't know it's nothing, and thus isn't there to be broken or (more to the point) hold him back.

(and someone still had to lose an arm to get the blasted thing on 'im)

I agree with the people wanting strange moods like this one, though. That and Wagnerian Opera rings (that make everyone around them burst into song), or crazy bottomless beer mugs, or suchlike.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:48:06 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14308 on: March 16, 2010, 04:48:34 am »

Yes. The point is they don't exist. The giant slavering beastie is held back by nothing. Which as noted, is unbreakable. And fortunately for everyone involved, he doesn't know it's nothing, and thus isn't there to be broken or (more to the point) hold him back.

(and someone still had to lose an arm to get the blasted thing on 'im)

That's why they are Gods, they understand these things so much better than us mere mortals.

---

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14309 on: March 16, 2010, 05:00:41 am »

Bay12 Community, Philosopher, cancels Pacing: Enlightenment achived.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: 1 ... 952 953 [954] 955 956 ... 1065