Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634669 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #14280 on: March 15, 2010, 11:18:29 pm »

My oh my, what to do with all this monies.

I believe i shall put them in a pool and bathe.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:36 pm »

DF is moving ahead, but unfortunately it has had its arms and legs lopped off.
Actually, I think DF is more like the end boss in mass effect 2. Think about it.
A giant, illogical and completely inexplicable skull that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in every context known to man and has single-handedly been personally responsible for millions of brain aneurysms in sci-fi fans worldwide?
Yes. Think about it.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:55 pm »

so, several pages back when we decided that animals where NOT milkable... we where wrong?!

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:49 am »

From my understanding, milking still requires the creature being milked to be carried. I don't care what you say, you can't carry a cow. I think all that's really been done is that dwarves won't randomly decide to eat the live maggots until there's no other food.
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:53 am »

From my understanding, milking still requires the creature being milked to be carried. I don't care what you say, you can't carry a cow. I think all that's really been done is that dwarves won't randomly decide to eat the live maggots until there's no other food.
Except apparently sentients without [CAN_LEARN] can be milked if they have [MILKABLE].

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: March 16, 2010, 12:15:59 am »

We had some people (Footkerchief included) saying pretty authoritatively that we can milk large creatures now, although I still have no idea where that information came from.

Toady didn't deny that, and even answered a question about milking intelligent creatures without making the obvious "you can't even milk large creatures in general" response, so I'm willing to believe it.

Except apparently sentients without [CAN_LEARN] can be milked if they have [MILKABLE].

Ah dammit, you got to it first.

However, I believe any sentient animal has [CAN_LEARN] (that's what makes them intelligent, and [INTELLIGENT] itself implies it), so that would prevent you there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14286 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:39 am »

Here's what Toady said:
Quote from: Heph
Can we actually extract materials from living animals (which arent vermin) with this release?

Just materials from adult MILKABLE-caste fortress units that don't have CAN_LEARN.  It doesn't have to be milk -- however, it'll go to a bucket, and it'll be sort of worthless there if you don't want to classify it as a barrel storable mat like milk or if it isn't edible or something.

Now, the way I read that is your milker will take a bucket to any milkable livestock and perform the job, similar to the way wells and buckets are used. I suppose the buckets will fill with a stack of milk like they do with water and be stored in a food stockpile for cheesemaking, cooking or drinking.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14287 on: March 16, 2010, 12:44:09 am »

From my understanding, milking still requires the creature being milked to be carried. I don't care what you say, you can't carry a cow.

Um, dragging is still in the game. Your dwarves drag creatures to the Butcher's Shop and the Kennel. And for being pitted off of towers.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: March 16, 2010, 12:57:50 am »

We can milk cows now! Yay!

I'm wondering if we can have separate extracts according to caste-type.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: March 16, 2010, 01:33:19 am »

When civilizations get big enough, will you eventually lose a bit of focus on the detail so you can make HUEG civilizations? I would want to have a huge human empire rather than 1 village...

just a thought.

It's in the dev notes as usual:

# COUNTY ARC: You should be able to develop a larger settlement outside the confines of the immediate play area. Related to Core28, Core29  and PowerGoal53.

# Core28, CONTROL OF TERRITORY AND EXTERNAL LOCATIONS, (Future): As your fortress expands into a barony, county and duchy, these words should attain some meaning with regards to the surrounding lands. Additional outposts/villages/work camps might be founded under your control, but out of the playable view, providing local trade and a further population pool for warfare and other endeavors. The scope is undecided, but this might include typical mountainside outposts, dwarf/human/mixed villages nearby in other biomes, or deeper sites that you found in tunnels that you carve via the next core item. Related to Core29 and Bloat172.

# Core29, EXTERNAL CONSTRUCTIONS, (Future): World map roads, bridges, walls and tunnels shouldn't just be products of world generation. You should be able to dispatch dwarves and materials to accomplish these tasks (though the amount of material used in a typical world generation road would virtually prohibit doing this as it currently stands, so something has to change). Requires Core28.

# Core30, KINGDOM, (Future): If you manage to get the monarch of the dwarves to arrive, you should obtain at least indirect control over the entire corresponding dwarven civilization. This includes the movement of all dwarven armies on the map and the ability to make the most important diplomatic decisions. Requires Core28.

# Core33, SERVING YOUR MONARCH, (Future): Once you have an outside village (or even before), you could receive orders from the dwarven leader to serve up some of your population as troops. If the soldier is one of your familiar fortress units, you could control them in any future army fights later in that game, or you might control an entire squad if more of your soldiers were drafted.

hmm the black-knight would work if there are some nature spirit like beings that traverse darker roads. Thus they could control a zomby. If we get to this the zomby could hand out snarky comments about being dismembered.

Multiple souls would also beg the question how it is handled in the future. Will the souls have all the same memory for example? Or can one soul push another back into some kind of comatose state?

I'm wondering if we can have separate extracts according to caste-type.

Yup.  All the extract/milking stuff is caste-level.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14290 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:52 am »

It would be kind of weird if milk-type extracts weren't caste-level, since then you'd be able to milk males.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14291 on: March 16, 2010, 02:11:17 am »

It would be kind of weird if milk-type extracts weren't caste-level, since then you'd be able to milk males.

We already had this conversation a couple pages back.  Cloth-for-tying-around-ankles* will doubtless provide a link to it if we ask.

*by which I mean Footkercheif.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14292 on: March 16, 2010, 02:16:32 am »

I don't know but from the last Toady-post it sounds like we're extremely close to release? Anyone else got that vibe?  ::)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: March 16, 2010, 02:37:16 am »

We already had this conversation a couple pages back.  Cloth-for-tying-around-ankles* will doubtless provide a link to it if we ask.

*by which I mean Footkercheif.

I thought he was the Chief of footkets
Thank you based dwarf.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14294 on: March 16, 2010, 02:42:01 am »

"Footkerchief is a deity of The Bay-Forum of Twelve. Footkerchief most often takes the form of a User and is associated with the search function, quotations and knowledge."
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1065