Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634191 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13980 on: March 13, 2010, 02:51:30 pm »

That will be the new killing method.... self-inflicted gassing chambers.
Nom nom nom

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13981 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:57 pm »

Correction:  It is now possible to milk cows, donkeys, horses and camels.

Do you have a source for that, or are you just blowing smoke?

It's authoritative.

Given his join date, I assume we have our first confirmed alpha^2 tester?

Anyhow, it is an awesome thing. Soap, Milk, what next? Milk being required for babies? Brushing teeth?!

I doubt that a lot of elemental carbon would exist in magma (it would react or burn off, most likely), and if it did, I'm not sure how you'd get it into the ore sludge without royally screwing up the entire process via contamination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonatite Freaked me out in geology class. Igneous carbonates.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:04:05 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:32 pm »

Yeah, but again, that's not elemental carbon; that's carbonates. Big, big difference. And even those seem to be rare.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: March 13, 2010, 04:08:58 pm »

The talk of milk has got me thinking, will we be able to milk sentients? How far are we from bands of dwarves attacking cow man settlements, killing most of the males, and taking the females back to the fort for a life of slavery?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13984 on: March 13, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »

Er, you CAN train sentients.  So it might work.

That's kind odd. Dwarfy, but odd.

EDIT: Unless it runs off of the same as butchering, and you can't use sentients?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:16:53 pm by Naes Draw »
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: March 13, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »

Isn't that a tautology?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: March 13, 2010, 04:20:50 pm »

will we be able to milk sentients?

Why did I just suddenly get an Idea for a new elf torture method.

Capture elfs.  Milk elfs.  Make Elf Cheese.  Cook elf cheese into elf cheese roasts.  Sell to elfs.

And last I heard milking a creature doesn't care about gender.  You would be able to get cowman milk from both genders...unfortunately.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: March 13, 2010, 04:24:11 pm »

Actually, since [MILKABLE] -- or whatever the tag is -- is caste level, you could apply it to females, and not males. Or the other way round, if you really wanted to do that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: March 13, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »

Actually, since [MILKABLE] -- or whatever the tag is -- is caste level, you could apply it to females, and not males. Or the other way round, if you really wanted to do that.

Thats cool, now we should be able to mod in Rancors and get Rancor Milk from it, or something like that. :)

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: March 13, 2010, 04:28:39 pm »

Isn't that a tautology?

Dwarfy = Odd?

I guess so.  ;D

And last I heard milking a creature doesn't care about gender.  You would be able to get cowman milk from both genders...unfortunately.

Well... Make the milkable tag just be in females? Castes should do that. Bah, ninja'd!

OH! That could make venom milking interesting, having a caste that is rare or something with a stronger/nastier extract? Or a different dye...
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: March 13, 2010, 04:30:57 pm »

Oh yea, I guess that means it's fixed next version.  Darn, I'll miss the bull milk jokes.

Of course now I also have some strange urge to have my next fortress sell milk from every creature they can get their hands on...

"Why settle for cow milk?  We have it sure, but why not try something new!  We have  goat milk, dog milk, cat milk, horse milk, gnome milk, goblin milk, lion milk, kobold(?) milk, carp milk, titan milk, giant cave spider milk and dragon milk! Just to name a few!   ...What do you mean half of those don't exist?  Look kid, I've been doing this for 120 years, I'm not gunna have some little beardless whelp think he knows more about my job than I do, get the hell outta here.  And gimme back that complimentary bottle of skeletal giant eagle milk."
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: March 13, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »

...titan milk...
There should be purring maggot based titans in the next version, so titan milk might be possible. I'm not sure if the MILKABLE tag would get transferred properly, though.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: March 13, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »

MILKING IS FIXED?

I'm freaking out about the modding possibilities here. Can we mod in extracts for other large creatures? Can we use large creatures in custom reactions? I am excitable

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: March 13, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »

You cannot use large creatures in custom reactions, no. I think you could use a corpse in a custom reaction though. So if you want to build an "Altar to Armok" workshop that takes in dwarf corpses/blood and occasionally outputs powerful weapons, that's up to you.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: March 13, 2010, 06:14:07 pm »

You cannot use large creatures in custom reactions, no. I think you could use a corpse in a custom reaction though. So if you want to build an "Altar to Armok" workshop that takes in dwarf corpses/blood and occasionally outputs powerful weapons, that's up to you.

Right, but I'm wondering if the large creature milking fix is hard coded or generalized. I could see it being either way.
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 1065