Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634192 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13965 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:31 pm »

I think moghoppers are suppoused to be like tiny frogs or something, not fish.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13966 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:32 pm »

I guess that includes the poison of spiders, scorpions and snakes too since it should work the same way - you get just another kind of material.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: March 13, 2010, 12:10:21 am »

Will ore smelting be changed to always require coal fuel? As it is, in Real Life, Cinnabar is the only ore that can be smelted (into Mercury) using nothing but heat, while all other ores require a reducing agent, usually coke.
Mightn't some magmas have sufficient carbon content that they supply both the fuel and reduction component of smelting?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: March 13, 2010, 12:12:35 am »

I doubt that a lot of elemental carbon would exist in magma (it would react or burn off, most likely), and if it did, I'm not sure how you'd get it into the ore sludge without royally screwing up the entire process via contamination.

Mercury, for the record, doesn't require ore to extract from cinnabar because it dissociates easily enough from the compound that all you really have to do is heat it up and tumble/break it a lot.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: March 13, 2010, 02:35:46 am »

It would be nice if they could just get the animals to follow them to a farmers workshop ala the kennel or what-not.

Yeah, you'd think he could just cannibalize the butcher/kennel code.  I'm not sure why milking was different in the first place.  Fixing milking might be one of those remaining requests, though, so we'll see.
I think it had something to do with butchering and animal training pretty much deleting the creature that was brought there and creating the resulting meats/materials or a whole new creature, like a war dog (it's kills get reset, just for implication), entirely out of thin air.

This is why taming is done at the creature's cage, but then I don't see why you can't milk a creature at it's cage in the same manner.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:37:51 am by Ranzear »

Truec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: March 13, 2010, 03:40:29 am »

Regarding genetics and pouring maggots

This typing error immediately brought to mind a new field in dwarven construction - Dwarfcrete!  Carefully bred purring maggots produce an extremely sticky form of milk which, when mixed with the bones of goblins (for strength) and elves (for fun) produces a pourable substance that hardens soon after being set.  Carvable like cast obsidian, but with a base quality modifier, so even more ridiculously valuable architecture can be produced.  The only disadvantage is the lack of magma in the production process, but I'm sure Dwarven Science can find a solution for this.

I was all set to implement this in my game and damn the consequences.  Then I remembered extracts don't work in reactions.  This makes me very sad.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: March 13, 2010, 05:45:35 am »

I should *headdesk* now. Back to topic. I guess milking goes by the same framework as any extracting job now so i want to ask toady: Can we actually extract materials from living animals (which arent vermin) with this release?
No, only vermin (and, more specifically, only purring maggots and moghoppers, for milking and extracting from fish respectively -- well, you could mod in other milkable vermin, but you get the idea.)
Correction:  It is now possible to milk cows, donkeys, horses and camels.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: March 13, 2010, 05:48:17 am »

Ah. so milking big creatures is possible now? Awesome. Let the elf milking ceremony begin!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: March 13, 2010, 05:53:55 am »

Do you have a source for that, or are you just blowing smoke?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:16:34 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: March 13, 2010, 06:00:59 am »

Will we, far in the future, see small, hand-held items "produce" small amounts of a material? Example: smoking pipe.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13975 on: March 13, 2010, 06:07:46 am »

It's authoritative.

Will we, far in the future, see small, hand-held items "produce" small amounts of a material? Example: smoking pipe.

Implied by this:

# Bloat43, THINGS TO SMOKE, (Future): Things to smoke, pipes, smoke circle events and so on.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13976 on: March 13, 2010, 06:15:15 am »

You can just host your avatar on tinypic, you know.  That's where all of mine live.

The Thraddash live on tinypic?! Precursors help the human race!

Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. They'll probably render themselves harmless in yet another internal War of Cultural Succession.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: March 13, 2010, 06:36:17 am »

Implied by this:

# Bloat43, THINGS TO SMOKE, (Future): Things to smoke, pipes, smoke circle events and so on.
Ah, but to what extent will this be moddable? For example, will we modders be able able to create a toy music box that spews forth a modded-made nerve gas when used?

Dwarf Fortress and paranoia - Causing you to seriously reconsider buying that apparently harmless toy for your niece.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13978 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:14 am »

Implied by this:

Ah, but to what extent will this be moddable? For example, will we modders be able able to create a toy music box that spews forth a modded-made nerve gas when used?

Dwarf Fortress and paranoia - Causing you to seriously reconsider buying that apparently harmless toy for your niece.
A mysterious robed stranger approaches you and hands you an ornate puzzle-box. He says to you quietly, "Here, my friend. Give this to someone special and let them hear the music..."
Before you have time to question him, he's already gone in the moments you took to stare down at the box in your hand.

Regardless, you take it home. You set it down in front of you and open it. Beautiful music plays, drowning out a quiet hissing sound as a clear gas flows out of the box. Your muscles rapidly contract and everything goes dark...

Tig Cabnulser has suffocated to death!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:56:07 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13979 on: March 13, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

Implied by this:

Or better yet, Toy Box Gas bombs that can be used in Adventure Mode. Don't know how they'd activate though, on contact, or by the enemy actually picking up and using it in the middle of the fight.

"Oh, look! The dwarf threw a toy box at us! He must want to be friends! Let's just take a look at this and-"

Dadi Thelirequinefa, Elf Druid has suffocated to death

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:51:18 pm by CrimsonEon »
Pages: 1 ... 930 931 [932] 933 934 ... 1065