Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634066 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13920 on: March 12, 2010, 10:39:32 am »

The replacing soil layers with obsidian you can already do now with modding. I think I've heard of someone modding the dwarves in a way so that they die on contact with water.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:16 am »

^ I think you do that by decreasing their core temperature so that they freeze water they come into contact with, which instantly annihilates the frozen dwarf.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13922 on: March 12, 2010, 10:54:05 am »

I just asked about the contact metamorphism in the DF talk #8 page http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50046. Go ask more geology questions there and perhaps we can get it as a segment next time! :)  . While I'm talking about this, Rainseeker/Capt'n, should we be posting questions there, or emailing them in?

I want impact craters bringing up unimaginable wealth (sudbury complex), shocked quartz, and thick sedimentary deposits from ejecta near the site.

Oh, and fluid migration depositing things (ie gold in quartz). Maybe even 1 tile aquifers representing underground springs.

Is it possible to unify the random number generator across all platforms? Currently a seed will almost but not quite make the same thing between mac/linux/windows.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02:58 am »

Oh, and fluid migration depositing things (ie gold in quartz). Maybe even 1 tile aquifers representing underground springs.

Speaking of gold deposits, I actually had a gold vein once that was right next to a brook and was completely in soil. It was even almost parallel with the brook. In DF terms, I was surprised to find it there because gold is usually deep underground in stuff like granite, but it made perfect sense geologically. Just look at the California Gold Rush.

Unfortunately, finding metals completely in soil is very rare, rarer than it should be in certain cases like gold for example.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: March 12, 2010, 12:06:36 pm »

Lol. I hope the cat wasn't actually trapped in there as that would be cruel.

Almost looks like he is saying 'get me the *bleep* outta this thing!'.

He actually placed himself in it. It was moderately difficult to get him out.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:06 pm »

succulent purring maggot

And now we all know how Toady maintains his life on so little income.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:22 pm »

Wait...

Wait...

Does this mean the cheesemakers can actually be employed... making CHEESE?

My mind, it has been blown.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13927 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:31 pm »

Unfortunately, finding metals completely in soil is very rare, rarer than it should be in certain cases like gold for example.

Actually, in 40d it never happens at all, since no minerals are spec'd to appear in SOIL. A few are indicated to show up in ALLUVIAL regions, but there aren't actually any ALLUVIAL materials ever created. Any veins that appear to be located in soil are only there because they started in an appropriate stone layer and happened to extend outward from it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: March 12, 2010, 12:24:46 pm »

Lol. I hope the cat wasn't actually trapped in there as that would be cruel.

Almost looks like he is saying 'get me the *bleep* outta this thing!'.

He actually placed himself in it. It was moderately difficult to get him out.

In that case, LOL! Maybe your cat was saying, I want a bath please, in the fishtank! lol.

@Quietust: Since the brook was right on the border between the rock and soil interface, its possible. I don't remember as that embark was many months ago.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13929 on: March 12, 2010, 12:41:00 pm »

The last place I could find a mention within this thread of the following issue was page 50, but it bears repeating:

Will ore smelting be changed to always require coal fuel? As it is, in Real Life, Cinnabar is the only ore that can be smelted (into Mercury) using nothing but heat, while all other ores require a reducing agent, usually coke.

Granted, a magma smelter should still be able to melt metal items and make alloys without requiring fuel (and the other magma workshops would be unchanged), but realistically, smelting ores should work the same as making pig iron or steel, always requiring refined coal whether you're using a regular smelter or a magma one. The only real exceptions to this should be the various "native" minerals (copper, silver, gold, platinum, aluminum), where it really would be sufficient to melt the metal out of the surrounding stone.

It might still make sense for magma smelters to perform said smelting operations more quickly than a normal smelter would, but the ability for magma smelters to almost completely eliminate the need for coal almost makes the game too easy.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:52:38 pm by Quietust »
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13930 on: March 12, 2010, 12:51:00 pm »

The last place I could find a mention within this thread of the following issue was page 50, but it bears repeating:

Will ore smelting be changed to always require coal fuel? As it is, in Real Life, Cinnabar is the only ore that can be smelted (into Mercury) using nothing but heat, while all other ores require a reducing agent, usually coke.

Do you happen to know how much reducing agent is required by volume in comparison to the metal? ie, is this abstractable away as a very small amount when dealing with DF's unit volume of coke and ore. Or perhaps we'll have to change to batch smelting jobs (10 ore+1coke=10 metal).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13931 on: March 12, 2010, 01:18:31 pm »

The Wikipedia article for Smelting suggests that certain metals would require more carbon than others - 36kg carbon for 224kg Iron, 12kg carbon for 120kg Tin, 12kg carbon for 126kg Copper or 416kg Lead; going by volume (assuming 219 kg/m^3 for carbon from charcoal, being extremely porous - coke is about 3 times as dense, and solid carbon is about 10 times as dense), the charcoal:metal ratio works out to 5.7:1 for iron, 3.3:1 for tin, 3.9:1 for copper, and 1.5:1 for lead. In other words, the volume of metal acquired from smelting is significantly less than the volume of charcoal you use.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:24:28 pm by Quietust »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: March 12, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »

Speaking of gold deposits, I actually had a gold vein once that was right next to a brook and was completely in soil. It was even almost parallel with the brook. In DF terms, I was surprised to find it there because gold is usually deep underground in stuff like granite, but it made perfect sense geologically. Just look at the California Gold Rush.

A couple of mods do this. The problem is that if deposits are present at all, they're all over the place and wreck the balance a bit. I think it's a general problem with the way minerals are placed in general.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13933 on: March 12, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

In other words, the volume of metal acquired from smelting is significantly less than the volume of charcoal you use.

Ouch! Reality sucks!

Hopefully this waits until we get more wood per tree, and more use out of 1 bar of metal.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:41 pm »

In other words, the volume of metal acquired from smelting is significantly less than the volume of charcoal you use.

Ouch! Reality sucks!

Hopefully this waits until we get more wood per tree, and more use out of 1 bar of metal.

That and probably more extensive coal deposits.

Also, Quatch, what happened to your avatar?
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1065