Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3634017 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13905 on: March 12, 2010, 04:46:29 am »

My question remained unanswered the last time, so here I go again:

In the next version dwarfs clean and groom themselves. But what about brushing teeth?
Will the dwarfs be able to get caries in the future?
Is something planned?

Dental Care isn't on the dev list to my knowledge, but since the teeth are individually tracked, Possibly, though I dont think it high on toady or the community at large want list.

Currently food don't contian the elements to help wear down enamel, and rot teeth. Even though they exist in the game. Maybe we'll see something when farming & cooking gets overhauled.

With metabolism being a dorf aspect, food calories and fats may become important. I think right now all foods feed dorf equally.

Period accurate dental care would basically amount to removing teeth that go bad anyway.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: March 12, 2010, 04:53:36 am »

My question remained unanswered the last time, so here I go again:

In the next version dwarfs clean and groom themselves. But what about brushing teeth?
Will the dwarfs be able to get caries in the future?
Is something planned?

Dental Care isn't on the dev list to my knowledge, but since the teeth are individually tracked, Possibly, though I dont think it high on toady or the community at large want list.

Currently food don't contian the elements to help wear down enamel, and rot teeth. Even though they exist in the game. Maybe we'll see something when farming & cooking gets overhauled.

With metabolism being a dorf aspect, food calories and fats may become important. I think right now all foods feed dorf equally.

Period accurate dental care would basically amount to removing teeth that go bad anyway.

There were some dentures though, but yea dental care was shitty for ever.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: March 12, 2010, 06:08:00 am »

Dev Future: Dwarfs Get Grillz!

Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13908 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:16 am »

I want my fortress champion to have all gold teeth and use a hammer made by dipping a cat in molten gold.  And I want his room to be at the bottom of the fortress near a pit that evil creatures come out of. 

Sorry, go on...

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: March 12, 2010, 06:30:25 am »

I agree with Neruz on the map features part. Personally I spend a long time looking for something with magma, water, a bottomless pit or chasm if I can find one, hfs and lot's of evil for pretty much every fort I start. And believe me, it's not to make the game easier, or about giving me some kind of advantages. It's because I want to keep playing with the fort for a long time, and want as much stuff as possible to do before I'm alone on the map waiting for the next goblin siege. It's to make the site and the fort more interesting and colourful.

It's not like we're asking for default maps with canyons, mountains, deserts, jungles and glaciers on the same map (though something along those lines are quite likely possible).

I'm very much looking forward to the new version, I understand there will be lot's of fun and FUN below the ground and magma and other resources you will have to fight for (which is great).
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #13910 on: March 12, 2010, 07:39:03 am »

Magnetite is actually really silly atm, why it comes in gigantic clusters i have no idea. Also, even with the default worldgen settings it's not that hard to get a map with a magma feature next to a sedimentary biome. Tweaking the settings just makes it more likely.

I have always found it silly that magnetite is in clusters and coal in veins, when it should be vice versa (if anything, because of game mechanics where you need 2+ fuel units per ore unit).

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13911 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:41 am »

Quote from: Devlog
I went through the purring maggot process from animal trap capture to storing the milk in barrels in a food stockpile. Of course, the issue with this has been dwarves just up and eating the maggot at any point in the process. I changed it so that they would only eat purring maggots if they were starving and nothing else were close by. I tested the change by having the starving dwarves stand in a meeting zone with the food up in a stockpile to the north. In between the stockpile and the dwarves, a succulent purring maggot tempted from an animal trap. They performed well, passing up the maggot for other food. At the end, there were seven dwarves, five pieces of food, and the maggot. I made them starve again -- five dwarves ate regular food, the doctor ate the purring maggot, and the fisherdwarf ran downstairs, caught a live cave spider and ate it on the spot.

I also handled a gremlin pathing problem and some strange things like the dwarves tanning mussel shells to make mussel leather.

Not very important/game-breaking fixes in today's devlog, but I'm glad to see that purring maggots can be properly used this time.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: March 12, 2010, 08:23:55 am »

Not to mention cave spiders. Btw, is there *any* posibility this could be altered to allow for a specific case? For example, if the starving dwarf in question *loves* (eating) purring maggots, he could pass up the regular food and go for the maggot.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:26:13 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:35 am »

Not to mention cave spiders.

I'd laugh if a bug caused dwarves to go and try to eat giant cave spiders aswell.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13914 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:47 am »

Yay I might actually mess around with purring maggots now instead of all my effort catching one being destroyed by a single hungry farmer!

Billybob SilverCakes cancels milk creature; Getting food.
Billybob SilverCakes cancels milk creature; job item misplaced.

Now we just need purring maggots to take revenge on our dwarves for all those years of horrible mistreatment.  Cue giant purring maggots(-men)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:33:03 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: March 12, 2010, 09:55:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13916 on: March 12, 2010, 09:58:41 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll take 5 terraniums. My bloody cat was sick on my bed yesterday.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: March 12, 2010, 10:23:56 am »

Lol. I hope the cat wasn't actually trapped in there as that would be cruel.

Almost looks like he is saying 'get me the *bleep* outta this thing!'.

Na4SnBe2Si6O18

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13918 on: March 12, 2010, 10:25:02 am »

I'm new here so hopefully this hasn't already been asked, Are there any plans to model contact metamorphism?

The heat from a body of magma will metamorphose the surrounding rocks for up to several Km, depending on the temperature difference and the size of the magma body. This can create ore deposits, particularly in limestone or other carbonates. Basically, you'd only see obsidian around the magma pipe at the surface. At depth, there would be a halo of metamorphosed rock, possibly containing ore or gems.

Any plans to add dikes?

It would basically be a magma vein. Not that important, but it might add some variety to fort design

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13919 on: March 12, 2010, 10:36:37 am »

how about a worldgen param that replaces all water with lava and soil layers with obsidian?
i remember a while back toady talking about specific quirks with a world being included in later versions
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 926 927 [928] 929 930 ... 1065