Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633958 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13860 on: March 11, 2010, 05:31:30 pm »

Also, I just had an idea; would it be possible somehow to farm hydra heads like GCS with silk?

They don't regenerate their heads, so, nope.

Yet. Be patient :)

Isnt there an OOtS about this, including hydra as a replenishable food source?

Yup.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13861 on: March 11, 2010, 05:32:52 pm »

Also, I just had an idea; would it be possible somehow to farm hydra heads like GCS with silk?

I think someone posted a comic based on this idea, no idea where it is.

Edit: Ninja'd

Still, the fact that they regenerate quickly could still lead to other ways of farming a hydra, somehow.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:34:37 pm by smjjames »

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13862 on: March 11, 2010, 05:34:31 pm »

I know the current version won't be doing anything interesting with souls, I was just wondering about the future. Also, souls keeping track of owned items seems a little weird. Item attachment I would understand, but I imagine it would cause all sorts of bugs (hey, these aren't my clothes!) if you had multiple souls in a body or souls entering/leaving bodies. Though, I suppose it would be fixed when the time came for those things to be introduced. It would have so many other ramifications and changes, it wouldn't be too hard to add the appropriate pieces to make it work properly.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13863 on: March 11, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »

Yup.

There also a SMBC comic on that theme to.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13864 on: March 11, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »

I know the current version won't be doing anything interesting with souls, I was just wondering about the future. Also, souls keeping track of owned items seems a little weird. Item attachment I would understand, but I imagine it would cause all sorts of bugs (hey, these aren't my clothes!) if you had multiple souls in a body or souls entering/leaving bodies. Though, I suppose it would be fixed when the time came for those things to be introduced. It would have so many other ramifications and changes, it wouldn't be too hard to add the appropriate pieces to make it work properly.

I think everyone is getting the wrong idea what the soul thing on the creatures. The soul is being used as the memory and storing malleable personality traits. It just being used to keep track of thoughts, and actions done and done to the dorf. A better name may have been Mind, since that what it seems to be taking the place of.

Remember what items you own make since in the context of mind, especially if we're going to have inter fortress thievery.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13865 on: March 11, 2010, 05:58:15 pm »

Only 75 pages more to go...WE CAN DO IT!!!

Ahem, anyways, perhaps your champion's favorite admantine ax/sword could eventually host a piece of his soul that can give the next wielder some advice or extra skills due to that piece of soul having some experience dealing with the current situation.

Perhaps an ancestral weapon that a certain family keeps adding pieces of souls to make the sword more powerful.

OR an artifact sword that EATS souls to gain power.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13866 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:22 pm »

This is a modded demonbane axe. It was forged in the deepest smelters and furnaces on the edge of hell itself out of the souls of demons. No non-dwarf has yet glimpsed its glorious visage and lived.

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13867 on: March 11, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »

This is a modded demonbane axe. It was forged in the deepest smelters and furnaces on the edge of hell itself out of the souls of demons. No non-dwarf has yet glimpsed its glorious visage and lived.
It is adorned with rings of malice.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13868 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »

It is adorned with rings of malice.

And bands of cow cow cheese.

sillybear25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13869 on: March 11, 2010, 06:27:28 pm »

Ahem, anyways, perhaps your champion's favorite admantine ax/sword could eventually host a piece of his soul that can give the next wielder some advice or extra skills due to that piece of soul having some experience dealing with the current situation.

Or maybe the ability for a dead dwarf's soul to haunt their former possessions?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13870 on: March 11, 2010, 06:44:56 pm »

Nah, but since its tissues will regenerate if not damaged too much, there's always the option of pus-harvesting

Eh. I think it'd be better if even dwarves weren't allowed to see it. The Champion has to have had its eyes gouged out, and none of the rest of the fortress are allowed to be around when its removed from the adamantine bin.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13871 on: March 11, 2010, 06:53:10 pm »

Nah, but since its tissues will regenerate if not damaged too much, there's always the option of pus-harvesting

There was a reaction in the Dark Dwarves mod, I believe, that allowed chunks of creatures to be forged into soulstones. Add a goring weapon like a whip that produces chunks and a way to separate the hydra from the harvesting dwarves and the torturer when enough chunks have been produced, and you can create a sustainable hydra soulstone industry.

Maybe a narrow corridor, a chain, and appropriately placed hatches/bridges that drop creatures into lower levels?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13872 on: March 11, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »

There was a comic about that somewhere...

Would be pretty freaking neat though, you must admit. Have a big guillotine right next to the dinner table. 

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13873 on: March 11, 2010, 07:17:56 pm »

There was a comic about that somewhere...
Yes...

Yup.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13874 on: March 11, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »

That's not necessarily true. There are still things like magma pipes to consider, and wanting to have a larger number of biomes on a single map, plus greater map surface is good for, say, trees. Of course, more underground layers means more rock, in general, so you don't have to worry about that.

It IS true, however, that you won't need to worry about the "special features" as much, because those won't be confined to specific areas like they are now.
Like stone was ever in short supply.

Excellent, I was hoping that there would be little magma pockets on every map.  I realized the other day that I'd never been in a jungle or desert because they don't usually have the features I want, and I've been playing for a while.

Oh yeah, in the next version, is there a way to put certain barrels away for brewing only?  My fortresses are always dry because plump helmets fill up the barrels faster than I can make them.
Burrows would make it easy but right now you've got a tool for it. While making a stockpile adjust the reserved barrels and then disable everything but drinks for it.

I'm not sure if reserve barrels works in a way that give an actual reason for us to not get to adjust this after the stockpile is placed but either way after this release I'd like to see that become an adjustable option- people could actually find it~

So the implication is that you can always dig down far enough to hit magma. Is there a point, far enough down, that you would find nothing but endless magma, like reaching the planet's mantle?
Almost certainly not. Fundamental assumptions of the game's engine would have to change, and there's little benefit there.
Indeed, such an area would cause an instant cave-in.

Also, it's several miles of crust before you hit the mantle, and you'd die from the heat long before you reached it. In order to accurately represent that you'd need like ten thousand z levels or something atrocious like that.

You're also assuming an earthlike world, since DF is fantasy with a magical base (that will grow stronger when properly implimented) it's entirely possible that DF worlds are in fact, flat sqarish 2d planes of arbitrary depth.
People would make fairly quick moves to dump water into it for some obsidian. (If there is empty space between the magma and last layer of stone they could engineer a situation where water and falling magma contact to produce useful walls.)

Wat

Just an obscure reference that I doubt anyone will get.  This does bring up an interesting point though.  Where are the polar regions in such a world?
The on a sphere are icy thanks to the angle that light hits them. With a large distance to the star rays of light are effectively parallel so they end up further apart on the sphere in areas angled away from them.

For a cylindrical surface you can get the same effect by instead having a close source of light. Directly beneath it the light would be very direct but at the far end of the world it would come in at a low angle but mainly have a wider spread due to distance. Unfortunately the cylinder described was probably more like a top hat with creatures scurrying about on the brim rather than along the vertical wall.

ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

I see what you did there. It goes quite nicely with your avatar.
Oh yeah, Isn't that the secret password in FF6 to get... something in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One of the Greatest games of all time, and THE greatest villain of all time. (also, their world is not square, it is a toroid, the map is square)
I'd call it a torus with there not being any hard corners to walk over but then again with the four sides of the map having equal width that isn't really possible either.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 923 924 [925] 926 927 ... 1065