Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633732 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13755 on: March 10, 2010, 07:54:56 pm »

I doubt Toady would throw it away, i mean, why discard such perfectly good code, especially since he seems to feel that it handles the graphics better than his original graphics code did.

SirPenguin obviously just meant "thrown out the window" for this release, not discarded entirely.
Right, exactly. I think the later d# versions have shown there's still a good amount of work that needs to be done there. Indeed, Baughn himself seemed to suggest this very thing recently, though of course it was in passing (as in, not a confirmation of anything)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: March 10, 2010, 08:01:37 pm »

Also, it's several miles of crust before you hit the mantle, and you'd die from the heat long before you reached it. In order to accurately represent that you'd need like ten thousand z levels or something atrocious like that.

You're also assuming an earthlike world, since DF is fantasy with a magical base (that will grow stronger when properly implimented) it's entirely possible that DF worlds are in fact, flat sqarish 2d planes of arbitrary depth.

Didn't the game tell you were approaching the centre of the earth, back in 2D, if you scrolled off the edge of the map? So the centre of the Dwarves' worlds is to the east....hmmm. They must be...living perpendicular to the equator of a spherical world

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: March 10, 2010, 08:04:11 pm »

Also, it's several miles of crust before you hit the mantle, and you'd die from the heat long before you reached it. In order to accurately represent that you'd need like ten thousand z levels or something atrocious like that.

You're also assuming an earthlike world, since DF is fantasy with a magical base (that will grow stronger when properly implimented) it's entirely possible that DF worlds are in fact, flat sqarish 2d planes of arbitrary depth.

Didn't the game tell you were approaching the centre of the earth, back in 2D, if you scrolled off the edge of the map? So the centre of the Dwarves' worlds is to the east....hmmm. They must be...living perpendicular to the equator of a spherical world

Well i guess the old 2D DF worlds were cylinders with a flat plane radiating out from the center. The Dorfs start on that plane and then dig into the cylinder towards it's core.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: March 10, 2010, 08:06:23 pm »

So the implication is that you can always dig down far enough to hit magma. Is there a point, far enough down, that you would find nothing but endless magma, like reaching the planet's mantle?
Almost certainly not. Fundamental assumptions of the game's engine would have to change, and there's little benefit there.
Indeed, such an area would cause an instant cave-in.

ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: March 10, 2010, 08:07:54 pm »

Wat

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »

It seem to be an issue with the hydra neck.
No no no, he was simply going for the wrong neck. The original hydra had one immortal head, and was never truly killed, just trapped under a rock. To defeat one in DF you would have to distract it long enough to build a wall around it... Which would actually be a rather epic way of dealing with megabeasts.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »

Wat

Just an obscure reference that I doubt anyone will get.  This does bring up an interesting point though.  Where are the polar regions in such a world?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: March 10, 2010, 08:17:15 pm »

Also i just realised, if we assume similar ocean depth in DF to the wurld, then a Z level of 0 is around 10,000m (assuming a Z level of 0 is the deepest possible, if 'rifts' can go deeper, then it would be around 5,000m)

It's then 100 Z levels to land, so from this we can conclude that a Z level is 50 - 100 meters!

We can then also conclude that it is 10,000 - 20,000m from sea level to the base of mountains, and that the mountains are up to 5,000 - 10,000m high from their bases.

From this we can conclude that the DF world is extremely pointy.

As for the cylindrical world, it would have to have a fixed heat source. It's equatorial region would then be fixed towards the heat source, and the polar region away from it. If we then have a secondary heat\light source that orbits the world (as the first source is only heat, no light) then we have day\night and seasonal variation.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13763 on: March 10, 2010, 08:26:40 pm »

Just an obscure reference that I doubt anyone will get.  This does bring up an interesting point though.  Where are the polar regions in such a world?

Populous?

Anyways, I think the world gen doesn't make the assumption that climate works the same in a gen'd world as it does in the real world. Otherwise we'd end up with most seeds having the polar regions at the ends of the map...which we don't.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

John Keel

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_AVATAR:ALWAYS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: March 10, 2010, 08:27:53 pm »

Also i just realised, if we assume similar ocean depth in DF to the wurld, then a Z level of 0 is around 10,000m (assuming a Z level of 0 is the deepest possible, if 'rifts' can go deeper, then it would be around 5,000m)

It's then 100 Z levels to land, so from this we can conclude that a Z level is 50 - 100 meters!

We can then also conclude that it is 10,000 - 20,000m from sea level to the base of mountains, and that the mountains are up to 5,000 - 10,000m high from their bases.

But if things can fall 50-100 meters without splatting, then we can also conclude that dwarves are hardier than previously thought, or there's very little gravity.
King of the Onslaught of Narwhals

MonkeyMeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »

Wat

"ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT" is "THEW ORLD ISSQ UARE" backwards. The World is Square.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13766 on: March 10, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »

Wat

"ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT" is "THEW ORLD ISSQ UARE" backwards. The World is Square.

...I can't believe I didn't get that reference.  Then again, I haven't played FF6 for quite some time.

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »

doubt Toady would throw it away, i mean, why discard such perfectly good code, especially since he seems to feel that it handles the graphics better than his original graphics code did.
I'm sure he wouldn't throw it away. It's just that most other people would be celebrating a release, and I'd still be waiting - the new graphics code really is that much of an improvement for me.
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13768 on: March 10, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

I see what you did there. It goes quite nicely with your avatar.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: March 10, 2010, 10:56:46 pm »

Quietust, I never got that note.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1065