Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633706 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13740 on: March 10, 2010, 04:43:10 pm »

As long as you play without a tileset, you should be able to pass DF off as work. To someone just passing by, it's still a bunch of text on a screen.
Unless they play it too.

Then they're in with you. A Dwarf won't betray you. There's [ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_CAPITAL] on that.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13741 on: March 10, 2010, 04:51:51 pm »

You can bribe them with cow cow cheese.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13742 on: March 10, 2010, 05:03:35 pm »

As long as you play without a tileset, you should be able to pass DF off as work. To someone just passing by, it's still a bunch of text on a screen.

Hahah, this totally happened when a friend of mine was playing Liberal Crime Squad during class... The teacher was all "WHAT ARE YOU HACKING INTO!?" We actually had to explain it was a game so he wouldn't be in as much trouble -_-
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13743 on: March 10, 2010, 05:15:17 pm »

What exactly is the hydra test do?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13744 on: March 10, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »

What exactly is the hydra test do?

So many have said this... To see if a hydra can live after losing a head. It should, but it doesn't currently.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13745 on: March 10, 2010, 05:44:16 pm »

Lack of color updates in the first post's item list are killing me...  I need to see progress at a granular level!  :)
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13746 on: March 10, 2010, 05:44:25 pm »

Here's my prediction.
-d# merge is thrown out the window. It'll be done at a later time, probably over the summer
I _very_ much hope not. With the graphics drivers I have available (3D OpenGL is emulated), 40d17+ (with the 2D modes) is a _vast_ improvement over the old code. I would not be switching to a new version until that is included - the new graphics is actually the most compelling improvement for me. I'm planning a donation when the dev log says Today is starting the new graphics merge.
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13747 on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:43 pm »

A "DF 2010" quote received by a timetraveler: "Oh my god its full of caves."

A two-handed adamantine Sword is nice awesome. That toady couldt hack the neck off of the hydra is rather frightening. I guess to truly kill such a beast we need to spear it down instead. I mean it has just one heart right? RIGHT?

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13748 on: March 10, 2010, 06:02:44 pm »

It seem to be an issue with the hydra neck.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13749 on: March 10, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »

A "DF 2010" quote received by a timetraveler: "Oh my god its full of caves."

A two-handed adamantine Sword is nice awesome. That toady couldt hack the neck off of the hydra is rather frightening. I guess to truly kill such a beast we need to spear it down instead. I mean it has just one heart right? RIGHT?

Heart? Heck no! Hydras are equipped with adamantine pumps hooked to their own individual perpetual motion machines. These pumps and their power sources are dispersed throughout the hydras with about 1 per cubic foot.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13750 on: March 10, 2010, 06:44:30 pm »

Here's my prediction.
-d# merge is thrown out the window. It'll be done at a later time, probably over the summer
I _very_ much hope not. With the graphics drivers I have available (3D OpenGL is emulated), 40d17+ (with the 2D modes) is a _vast_ improvement over the old code. I would not be switching to a new version until that is included - the new graphics is actually the most compelling improvement for me. I'm planning a donation when the dev log says Today is starting the new graphics merge.

I doubt Toady would throw it away, i mean, why discard such perfectly good code, especially since he seems to feel that it handles the graphics better than his original graphics code did.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13751 on: March 10, 2010, 06:49:46 pm »

I doubt Toady would throw it away, i mean, why discard such perfectly good code, especially since he seems to feel that it handles the graphics better than his original graphics code did.

SirPenguin obviously just meant "thrown out the window" for this release, not discarded entirely.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13752 on: March 10, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »

So the implication is that you can always dig down far enough to hit magma. Is there a point, far enough down, that you would find nothing but endless magma, like reaching the planet's mantle?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13753 on: March 10, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »

So the implication is that you can always dig down far enough to hit magma. Is there a point, far enough down, that you would find nothing but endless magma, like reaching the planet's mantle?
Almost certainly not. Fundamental assumptions of the game's engine would have to change, and there's little benefit there.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13754 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »

Almost certainly not. Fundamental assumptions of the game's engine would have to change, and there's little benefit there.
Indeed, such an area would cause an instant cave-in.

Also, it's several miles of crust before you hit the mantle, and you'd die from the heat long before you reached it. In order to accurately represent that you'd need like ten thousand z levels or something atrocious like that.

You're also assuming an earthlike world, since DF is fantasy with a magical base (that will grow stronger when properly implimented) it's entirely possible that DF worlds are in fact, flat sqarish 2d planes of arbitrary depth.
Pages: 1 ... 915 916 [917] 918 919 ... 1065