Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633541 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13680 on: March 09, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »

New thought:

Will there b any negative thoughts if a social dwarf (one that has a socail personality) is assigned to a remote burrow? For example, if I assign a miner and a furnace operator  to an ore depsoit (Hauling bars is currently a lot easier than hauling ore) Would it be best to carefully select the personalities of the two dwarves?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13681 on: March 09, 2010, 10:33:51 pm »

New thought:

Will there be any negative thoughts if a social dwarf (one that has a socail personality) is assigned to a remote burrow? For example, if I assign a miner and a furnace operator  to an ore depsoit (Hauling bars is currently a lot easier than hauling ore) Would it be best to carefully select the personalities of the two dwarves?

I doubt it.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:21 pm »

I'm sure it's been brought up, but...

The standard amount of layers (around 15) has been scrapped and increased dramatically, upwards of 50-100 layers.

...Isn't that going to be absolute murder on FPS?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: March 09, 2010, 10:42:15 pm »

Oh god I never saw that.

Im scared now.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:25 pm »

50 layers just means 35 more layers of Fun!

and 10 less frames per second per funlayer :(

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »

The standard amount of layers (around 15) has been scrapped and increased dramatically, upwards of 50-100 layers.

There will be worldgen options to limit those extra layers or even cut out the underground entirely.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: March 09, 2010, 10:52:51 pm »

I wonder how ANYONE would be able to play with 500 layers, thats insane!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: March 09, 2010, 10:54:44 pm »

There will be worldgen options to limit those extra layers or even cut out the underground entirely.

It'll depend on the computer and theres suppoused to be other improvements so that there is more FPS available.

We'll just have to wait and see how much the FPS is impacted.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: March 09, 2010, 10:56:12 pm »

CERN?

Urist McPhysicist has shut down ATLAS; Installed DF.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: March 09, 2010, 10:57:24 pm »

Well, embark on a 2x2 or use a utility to get a 1x1 and it's not so bad. I'm hoping to organize a tower-building competition with the new version using a very small embark with a lot of height layers and enough depth to have adequate building materials. Should be fun!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13690 on: March 09, 2010, 11:11:30 pm »

New thought:

Will there b any negative thoughts if a social dwarf (one that has a socail personality) is assigned to a remote burrow? For example, if I assign a miner and a furnace operator  to an ore depsoit (Hauling bars is currently a lot easier than hauling ore) Would it be best to carefully select the personalities of the two dwarves?
Assigning a dwarf to a remote burrow would deny him his ordinary "has talked to a friend recently" bonus, and putting him near a grudge would give him negative thoughts if they talked, so in a way, yes to both. Of course, none of this will be meaningful until the massive bonuses from dining rooms and the like get nerf'd.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: March 09, 2010, 11:12:44 pm »

We don't really know how those layers are implemented, or how many calculations they require. The FPS hit could be quite small.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:01 pm »

So what I'm hearing is nobody thought to ask. ._.

Man, that's disappointing. I cried when I had to downgrade from 6x6 to 4x4!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13693 on: March 09, 2010, 11:25:13 pm »

So what I'm hearing is nobody thought to ask. ._.

It's been asked quite a few times.  This answer was a while back, but it's still accurate:

Quote from: SirPenguin
Underground goodies is always a welcome addition, but what do you think of the performance hurdles you may have to leap, Toady? Path finding is a notorious CPU hog, and to introduce large, open expanses with multiple paths and covering many z-levels would cause a lot of headaches for most computers.

The very worst path finding issues, from things like trapped pets and flying HFS hunting for surface buildings are more bugs than basic path finding load, the pets especially, and those may or may not be addressed depending on how bad it is.  I haven't noticed a slow down at all just having them there and having armies of critters wandering around in them.  Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a pathfinding thread.  We have plenty of those.

The current conventional wisdom on how extra z-levels affect performance is pretty flawed anyway.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:24 pm »

Will there be any negative thoughts if a social dwarf (one that has a socail personality) is assigned to a remote burrow? For example, if I assign a miner and a furnace operator  to an ore depsoit (Hauling bars is currently a lot easier than hauling ore) Would it be best to carefully select the personalities of the two dwarves?

I doubt it.

I doubt it too.  There are no bad thoughts for loneliness, as far as I know, although that'll probably change at some point.

How hard would it be to have the wealth display be able to break down into burrows?

The status screen would have to be reworked to include a scrollable list of burrows, and that screen is pretty jam-packed right now.  It's a good idea, but it'd definitely take time and there's no time for additional feature requests at this point.

Also, Maybe have the option of giving each burrow its own Bookkeeper/Hoardmaster and giving them separate precision settings.

Same as above -- would be nice, but very unlikely to make it in for this release.
Pages: 1 ... 911 912 [913] 914 915 ... 1065