Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633477 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13665 on: March 09, 2010, 08:12:00 pm »

Reading through the list prompted this question:
How will division of items between stockpiles in different burrows work? For example, If I have my craftshop making arrows and wine and whatnot in one burrow and several different burrows where my military live scattered about, how am I going to make sure that all of them actually have decent stockpiles of food/booze/ammo in their areas?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »

I am more excited about burrows than anything else in the new release. The maxheight/maxdepth thing is a close second maybe. But burrows create an insane amount of potential.
Fort wars!

The initial 7 create 2 forts on opposite sides of a map.

After the initial 7, 1/2 of all immigrants get assigned to a burrow that encompasses one of the forts. New children get assigned to their parents fort. Each fort is self sustaining and produces their own goods. Then it turns into a competition to see which fort can produce the most wealth. How hard would it be to have the wealth display be able to break down into burrows?

Additions:
  • Setup a Gladiator Arena that each fort sends their best warrior to. They fight to the death(should be possible at some point) and the winner is made the "Champion of the Twin Cities" and is given free reign
  • Nobles are given free reign and will be quartered in the winning fort.
  • Make a giant wall separating the forts above ground. On one side of the wall is an artificial lake made of water and on the other, one made of magma. Call forts Reliable.Excavation.Demolition and Builders.League.United (if I got those right without looking it up).
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: March 09, 2010, 08:27:18 pm »

Also, Maybe have the option of giving each burrow its own Bookkeeper/Hoardmaster and giving them separate precision settings.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13668 on: March 09, 2010, 08:39:55 pm »

Not sure if it was answered or not (having difficulty searching through this massive thread):

If a dwarf reaches Legendary in a particular skill and then never uses it again, will the skill rust down to below Legendary and make the dwarf become subject to the Economy once again? As it is, there's a particular event that can make this scenario quite common - a Peasant goes Fey/Secretive and becomes a legendary Wood Crafter, a profession which is utterly useless in many fortresses (what with bones usually being plentiful enough to keep training Marksdwarves busy).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: March 09, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »

Fort wars!
*insert awesomeness here*
I love the twin cities concept. Gladiator arenas are a wonderful idea, and should really get implemented at some point. Sadly, current dwarves would just get bad thoughts from witnessing death. If you really wanted to though, you could have a fatal sparring match occur; Build a big tower with a sparring area at the top, assign two dwarves to a squad, and let them duke it out. Height could be adjusted depending on how fatal you want it to be. First person to die or cancel sparring due to injury loses. This may even work in the next version; I think the dwarves will still toss each other around. By the by, double-posting is generally frowned upon here. Unless someone has posted after you, it's usually best to hit the modify button.
Not sure if it was answered or not (having difficulty searching through this massive thread):

If a dwarf reaches Legendary in a particular skill and then never uses it again, will the skill rust down to below Legendary and make the dwarf become subject to the Economy once again? As it is, there's a particular event that can make this scenario quite common - a Peasant goes Fey/Secretive and becomes a legendary Wood Crafter, a profession which is utterly useless in many fortresses (what with bones usually being plentiful enough to keep training Marksdwarves busy).

If I remember correctly, skill rust isn't exactly a loss of experience. It's more a temporary negative modifier to skill rolls. If you started that legendary dude crafting again, he would get back on the horse relatively quickly.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:03 pm »

By the by, double-posting is generally frowned upon here. Unless someone has posted after you, it's usually best to hit the modify button.
Sorry, I've been spending too much time in the Mafia Subforum.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: March 09, 2010, 09:08:07 pm »

I saw the list of changes and saw that infinite chasms and bottomless pits are out.
My question is what are we supposed to get rid of all our stone?
Stupid question, but worth asking.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: March 09, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »

Well, you could go with the traditional option of atom smashing. Or you could go with the dwarven solution to everything; magma.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: March 09, 2010, 09:21:54 pm »

I saw the list of changes and saw that infinite chasms and bottomless pits are out.
My question is what are we supposed to get rid of all our stone?
Stupid question, but worth asking.

a) Tried and true atom smashers.
b) If all else fails, MAGMA
c) Evaporate it, i.e. mod the boiling point of layer stones, orthoclase, and microcline to room temperature so that they turn into harmless red gas upon mining. That's what I do. It's best to plan ahead if you try this one though so vaporizing stones don't become part of key mechanisms or floodgates.

Ninja'd, but option c is still the best...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:24:21 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: March 09, 2010, 09:28:53 pm »

Stone vaporization is a nifty trick. I've never tried it, but I have heard it has the nasty side-effect of cryogenically freezing your dwarves. Is this true?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13675 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:00 pm »

Stone vaporization is a nifty trick. I've never tried it, but I have heard it has the nasty side-effect of cryogenically freezing your dwarves. Is this true?

I also want to know about it. Too bad I won't be on for over 12 hours. Stupid school...
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: March 09, 2010, 09:41:09 pm »

Having personally used it to get rid of 700k stone, it's all about selectively choosing the stone types to vaporize and getting the temperature right. [MELTINGPOINT_10000] and [BOILINGPOINT_10010] creates a pleasant breeze of room-temperature mist. Don't try 0; your dwarves are goners. As for stone, just select a layer stone and biggest pockets (say, diorite, orthoclase, microcline) and make them the evaporating ones; then build everything in your fort out of something else to avoid chaos upon raw editing. Remember to change the raws back after.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: March 09, 2010, 09:42:44 pm »

Furniture and mechanisms made of the evaporated rock will also vanish though, so be warned.

What I normally do is decide on giving some layer stone types, like basalt, permanently evaporation status at the beginning of the game and avoiding the use of them entirely. Instead, I make use of the clusters like mica. One could consider the game more challenging this way because a little more work is required to find usable rock.

Evaporation can be further controlled by manipulated the TEMPERATURE option in the init file.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13678 on: March 09, 2010, 09:42:51 pm »

That only happens if you set the boiling point to zero, which causes the "boiling [stone]" cloud to be about -5300K (yes, below absolute zero) and freeze your dwarves rather swiftly. If, on the other hand, you set them to boil at room temperature (which is 10015 underground), then they will be unharmed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:44:46 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: March 09, 2010, 10:11:46 pm »

Setting the boiling temperature to 10000 works well enough for me. It incidentially is the freezing point of water, but I haven't seen any effects from even long term exposure. Then again, the ones that are usually under long term exposure (that is, bieng constantly exposed) would be the miners who are generally uber anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 910 911 [912] 913 914 ... 1065