Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633480 times)

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13650 on: March 09, 2010, 03:16:39 pm »

if 40d was 9/6/2008, and it's 3/9/2010, does that mean we're over 1.5 years without a release?

For a community supported program(mer), that's simply astounding.  go toady!

On the other hand, if you were to graph DF's complexity vs. time between releases, i bet we're around the point it gets scary steep.  Wonder if there's a plan...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: March 09, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »

On the other hand, I thought Toady had made squad assignment to barracks possible now.  I know they have squad assigned boxes for ammo.

Thats what the wiki page says, theres probably alot more that we don't know yet but yea it will make having a real military (and a realistically managed one at that) much easier.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: March 09, 2010, 03:40:38 pm »

In b4 Toady releases in about 2 weeks and kills everyone's midterms.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: March 09, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »

Midterms?  Heh, I have spring break in two weeks.  Quarters ftw!

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: March 09, 2010, 04:17:19 pm »

It's a bit late to ask this but doesn't this:
As I was watching, blood splattered on the walls and floor, and another dwarf ran over to diagnose the patient again, while the dabbling surgeon moved between repairing the compound fracture and trying to stop bleeding from malpractice.

make embarking with a surgeon/doctor role insanely important?  Especially since getting good medical support is all the more important in an early fort if you want injured dwarves to recover at all. 

Since any job that has penalties as high as that (dead dwarves) pretty much means you don't risk trying to reinvent the wheel.  Imagine if no-skill cooking poisoned the food!  No cook embark would be miserable until you get one.  You might get them on an immigrant wave but one unlucky (or not) game and tantrum-spiral-here-we-go!
 - I like it though, medicine is a highly specialized skill and very easy to screw up if you're shooting in the dark.  It SHOULD be like that.  Then again, I'm the kind of gamer that wants to see chainmail take a month to make.  And for digging/eating to run real time. 

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: March 09, 2010, 04:29:08 pm »

Midterms?  Heh, I have spring break in two weeks.  Quarters ftw!

Midterms? Heh, I don't even go to school anymore so I can stay home and play the new version all day long  :P
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: March 09, 2010, 04:46:47 pm »

if 40d was 9/6/2008, and it's 3/9/2010, does that mean we're over 1.5 years without a release?

For a community supported program(mer), that's simply astounding.  go toady!

On the other hand, if you were to graph DF's complexity vs. time between releases, i bet we're around the point it gets scary steep.  Wonder if there's a plan...

At least we've had excellent utilities like Stonesense released. Things like that are revolutionary enough to count as releases by themselves.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:09 pm »

Hmmm medics ... I would say that rangers, Hunters and Herbalists etc. get some knowledge on medicine since for the former 2 it would be useful at work and for the later knowing the properties of a plant is one half of the job.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: March 09, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

For Toady: Can you please release a new screenshot or two of the new combat messages, but this time for arrows and swords? (there already is an example of war hammers) I'm itching to see how their attacks are described. Like how the tissue penetration is described and such.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:12:11 pm by Orkel »
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: March 09, 2010, 05:22:28 pm »

I've been away from DF for a little while now, and just as I regain an interest in the most epic of games, I learn that a new release is imminent! I wasn't even sure if this was still being supported, but a stop by the forums learned me otherwise, a fact I was happy to see. Keep up the good work! ^_^
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: March 09, 2010, 05:24:30 pm »

I've been away from DF for a little while now, and just as I regain an interest in the most epic of games, I learn that a new release is imminent! I wasn't even sure if this was still being supported, but a stop by the forums learned me otherwise, a fact I was happy to see. Keep up the good work! ^_^

Don't forget to check the new version changelog

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en&pli=1

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: March 09, 2010, 05:45:37 pm »

FYI, that's not an official "changelog", just a compilation of new features/changes by one of the forum-users. There's actually more than what's listed there, if anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: March 09, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »

But it is still the closest thing we have to an all-in-one-place changelog, and gives an excellent overview of new features with plenty of details.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: March 09, 2010, 08:02:41 pm »

Every time I read through that list my eyes tear up in joy.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: March 09, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »

I'm sure there will be lots of people finding clever uses for burrows.

I am more excited about burrows than anything else in the new release. The maxheight/maxdepth thing is a close second maybe. But burrows create an insane amount of potential.
Pages: 1 ... 909 910 [911] 912 913 ... 1065