Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633425 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13635 on: March 09, 2010, 08:40:38 am »

Sigged.
I has been sigged! Or at least, part of one anyway.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: March 09, 2010, 09:27:16 am »

I think pyramid spam is pretty much a sign that there's nothing left to talk about and it's time for release :P

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:00 am »

On the topic of cows made out of cows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iIgQN5uZE
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: March 09, 2010, 09:41:38 am »

What the heck? I think that broke my brain. Just, what? So weird...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: March 09, 2010, 10:03:58 am »

What...the...fudge!? Bizarre and somewhat disgusting. Forcing baby clone cow fetuses to listen to a robot band playing on instruments made from cows... :P
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: March 09, 2010, 10:54:30 am »

lolwut.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:51 am »

Pretty damn funny how the aliens end up attacking their own monstrousity.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: March 09, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »

In the next version will we be able to assign specific squads to individual
barracks? Like have an aboveground barracks for dwarves defending the fort entrance, one at the entrance of the caves to fight off forgotten beasts, and one at the center of the fort for the guards?
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13643 on: March 09, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »

barracks? Like have an aboveground barracks for dwarves defending the fort entrance, one at the entrance of the caves to fight off forgotten beasts, and one at the center of the fort for the guards?

Yes you could do this quite easily with the new burrows.

Edit: Haha I was useful for once!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: March 09, 2010, 12:55:13 pm »

That and the way squads work has been completely redone, its been melted down, refined, and hammered into something brand new to use a metaphor.

According to this: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/2010 , we can set where the barracks will be, like real barracks.

We are basically going to have to abandon our old ideas and methods of training and using our military.

Edit: Just had a thought, since there are so many changes, maybe it would be easiest to make the transition by treating it like a completely different game that you are just learning how to play.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:00:42 pm by smjjames »

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13645 on: March 09, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »

certainly navigating around the new menu's is going to require some muscle memory re-training lol.
I hope Toady's kept to a single navigation standard for all these new menus, the myriad of different ways to get at bits of menu in DF is one of the things that makes it difficult for newcomers.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: March 09, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »

Quote from: smjjames
That and the way squads work has been completely redone, its been melted down, refined, and hammered into something brand new to use a metaphor.

You know, with dwarves, that just might NOT be a metaphor...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: March 09, 2010, 02:46:46 pm »

You wouldn't want to do it with burrows, I think.  The way burrows are set up means that a dwarf will only accept jobs that are entirely inside them -- only use materials inside them, only fetch items and tool inside them, etc.  It's great for that one master dwarf who you never want to leave his workshop (where all the materials you intend for him to use are kept, plus food and water and a bed), but it's not so good for most military, since they'll never be able to go fight anything outside that area.

Well, you could use it to set up guards at a specific point, perhaps.  I'm sure there will be lots of people finding clever uses for burrows.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: March 09, 2010, 02:50:24 pm »

Sure you can use burrows to set your military to use specific barracks.  You just need burrows outlining the areas you want them fighting in and their barracks.  If you want all your military to be able to fight wherever, you can set one burrow for everywhere to fight, and one burrow that contains nothing but the squad's barracks.

On the other hand, I thought Toady had made squad assignment to barracks possible now.  I know they have squad assigned boxes for ammo.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: March 09, 2010, 02:59:56 pm »

Quick question: is there any information on whether the creature lists will be filtered in fortress mode so we don't have to scroll through pages and pages of dead things or children?
Pages: 1 ... 908 909 [910] 911 912 ... 1065