Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633309 times)

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13545 on: March 07, 2010, 02:54:41 am »

Quick, someone think of a good derail! We have to keep on top of this if we want to reach 100 pages.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13546 on: March 07, 2010, 03:22:11 am »

So what do you hope to do with the new stuff?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13547 on: March 07, 2010, 03:34:55 am »

So what do you hope to do with the new stuff?
I think the o'erwhelming consensus will be "pour magma on it"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13548 on: March 07, 2010, 03:48:57 am »

Sorry to jump back a few pages, but when I noticed this a few days ago the idea of having DF output XML files sparked my interest, so I've written a simple program that converts the current files to XML (just the site&pop/history for the moment). 

Discussion Topic

Back semi-on-topic: Are there any changes made to the sites_and_population or world_history files for the next version?

that is how you convert to xml, you do it yourself instead of asking toady to do it.

So, I just now looked at the dev_now logs and noticed this entry-

02/26/2010: ...There was kind of a violent explosion of boiling human blood when I was testing a human vs a magma man in the arena... it was a little weird, but I guess that's okay.

I think a possible way to fix this would be to introduce specific heat capacity, conductivity, and how much volume of a material there is in a given amount of space (like in a tile, in a creature, or a limb). I've only recently become interested in the game and don't know everything there is to know about dwarf fortress, so I don't know exactly what the current implementation is.

It would be cumbersome to manage in all cases, but if you limit the calculations to when creatures come in contact with other materials, it would help limit the processing load while preventing somewhat unrealistic scenarios like the one described in your entry. Now that I think about it, that would still probably require a ton of computations, so maybe limit it to combat scenarios with particularly hot or cold creatures, or when taking a swim in hot or cold liquids. *shrug* The solution may not provide much benefit for the necessary work, but it could help add another layer of physics realism that you could maybe make use of at some point.

There is specific heat capacity is already there. Conductivity is gonna be fixed this release, as magma men didnt melt with those they wrestled. Now they do! ^_^

oh... well, good to know. Sorry for being ignorant and suggesting something that's already in the game =p

With all that, it seems a bit weird that blood boiling could cause a violent blood explosion.
S'why it was a notable bug. 8b
actually when you heat up something rapidly it converts to a gas, which being at a higher pressure than the surrounding area tries to equalize by migrating to a lower pressure area.  if the pressure is high enough it will forcefully push whatever is in its way, the result is sometimes an explosion.  the easiest way to do this is to heat up some oil well past the boiling point and dump a bunch of water (warning causing explosions is dangerous).  depending on what the magma man did depends if it is realistic for a blood explosion to occur.  if the magma man provided enough contact then the blood would vaporize in one area and try to escape.  so if the magma man grabbed an arm or something like that then the gas would have to move through liquid to escape, resulting in an explosion.  a test to see if this is a approximately right would be to take a long thin balloon (like those used for balloon animals) and filling it with water, then putting the narrow end on a preheated surface hot enough to cause flash boiling and see if there is a water explosion.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13549 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:19 am »

So when the new version comes out I will create and release a dinosaur civilisation for the underground. I respectfully request any suggestions for badass dinosaurs (wiki links if possible).

If we can't get to 1000 pages discussing which dinosaurs we would like to see eat our dwarves, I don't know what to think.

The best part I think will be having some concept of weak spots, so that a triceratops will destroy anything it charges (pretty much) but would be vulnerable to attacks from behind.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13550 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:34 am »

Magma? The problem? Heresy!

He's referring to the bug where magma buildings aren't buildable on reclaim because the game thinks the magma is undiscovered, even when the path has already been opened.

Which gives me a thought:

Has the bug where magma buildings are unbuildable on reclaim been fixed in the new release? I'm sure you and Zach and the other testers have done a few reclaims by now.

Perhaps this problem could be solved simply by enabling magma buildings from the start without needing to wait for magma to be discovered? The player can't build them anyway without magma, and what harm does it do to have them on the menu beforehand?

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: March 07, 2010, 05:04:52 am »

On the contrary i would say a waterfilled ballon might not be enough. I suggest to use a dead pig with a salinic solution pumped into its veins instead.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: March 07, 2010, 05:43:47 am »

Perhaps this problem could be solved simply by enabling magma buildings from the start without needing to wait for magma to be discovered? The player can't build them anyway without magma, and what harm does it do to have them on the menu beforehand?

The magma discovery also triggers whether a mood may seek out a magma version of a building instead of a normal one, I believe, so it could cause problems with moods, at the very least.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13553 on: March 07, 2010, 07:48:18 am »

That problem's better solved by making them interchangable for moods, I think.

But, offtopic.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: March 07, 2010, 08:20:56 am »

So when the new version comes out I will create and release a dinosaur civilisation for the underground. I respectfully request any suggestions for badass dinosaurs (wiki links if possible).

The best part I think will be having some concept of weak spots

Maybe a giant enemy crab?

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: March 07, 2010, 09:40:00 am »

BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: March 07, 2010, 09:46:38 am »

The best part I think will be having some concept of weak spots

Maybe a giant enemy crab?

Like this one perhaps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember folks. This actually happened in Japanese History.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: March 07, 2010, 10:46:21 am »

the eyes just after it shoot lasers
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: March 07, 2010, 01:02:36 pm »

My goodness!  You could feed Japan for a month on the resulting crab sushi rolls!

Hmmm, underground cave crab civilizations...or land crabs in general....or even aquatic crabs...I don't think I've seen one.  They should have shells useable for crafts.

As for what I plan to do when the next version comes out...I will set several dwarves as doctors and make a nice little hospital, then turn off the economy and make socialized healthcare.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:12:49 pm by atomfullerene »

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: March 07, 2010, 01:22:52 pm »

My goodness!  You could feed Japan for a month on the resulting crab sushi rolls!

Hmmm, underground cave crab civilizations...or land crabs in general....or even aquatic crabs...I don't think I've seen one.  They should have shells useable for crafts.

As for what I plan to do when the next version comes out...I will set several dwarves as doctors and make a nice little hospital, then turn off the economy and make socialized healthcare.

Will healthcare options cost dwarves money in the economy?

I would love hate to see poor dwarves plunged into debt because they carelessly wandered into dangerous areas. That'll teach 'em
Pages: 1 ... 902 903 [904] 905 906 ... 1065