Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633244 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13530 on: March 05, 2010, 12:33:09 pm »

Oh right, forgot to ask:
How does armor coverage work? I remember someone said that in the next version, breastplates will have less coverage. Does this mean that a strike has a larger chance of hitting next to the armor, rendering it useless? Or does it increase damage? How does it work?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13531 on: March 05, 2010, 01:06:38 pm »

The reclaim part I'd love to see "fixed"...
That's actually one of my favorite parts about reclaiming....
Hence the quotes. I am sure many people enjoy it. I wouldn't mind it occurring occasionally, but every time is irksome. Together it means I don't bother with reclaim.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13532 on: March 05, 2010, 01:22:53 pm »

Oh right, forgot to ask:
How does armor coverage work? I remember someone said that in the next version, breastplates will have less coverage. Does this mean that a strike has a larger chance of hitting next to the armor, rendering it useless? Or does it increase damage? How does it work?

Their UBSTEP and LBSTEP have been lowered from 1 to 0.  This means that the current version's best torso armor is like a breastplate with pauldrons and tassets (probably the wrong terms), which protects the torso and to a lesser extent the upper arms and legs (I think), but the next version's equivalent is just a breastplate -- it only protects the torso.  However, chain mail (now "mail shirt") has retained its UBSTEP and LBSTEP, giving you even more reason to wear it under plate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:30:28 pm by Footkerchief »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13533 on: March 05, 2010, 01:51:18 pm »

Oh right, forgot to ask:

Their UBSTEP and LBSTEP have been lowered from 1 to 0.  This means that the current version's best torso armor is like a breastplate with pauldrons and tassets (probably the wrong terms), which protects the torso and to a lesser extent the upper arms and legs (I think), but the next version's equivalent is just a breastplate -- it only protects the torso.  However, chain mail (now "mail shirt") has retained its UBSTEP and LBSTEP, giving you even more reason to wear it under plate.

Woah, I had no idea armor worked like that. I thought the arms were protected by gloves and the entire leg was protected by leggings/greaves. I thought the current plate mail protected only the torso. But I like how that new system works, because it's more realistic.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13534 on: March 05, 2010, 05:29:26 pm »

Orkel: It's not a new system. ;) But the torso-armor gets upper arms/legs and the gauntlets get lower arms (I think).
how exactly did footkerchief gain such power and influence on this forum?
Because people defer to him.

Really, he has none other than social, it's just that he groks the search function and has enough memory (or possibly notes) to at least know a full index of what goes on here by actually watching it.
We can only presume he has [POWER] in him somewhere.

I wonder if we can test him for tags ... i guess [NOBLEED] and [NOPAIN] would be easy, similary for [NOBREATHE] and similar obvious tests, but how would we test him for [MAXAGE] or [PET_EXOTIC]?
DMS exist, the kennel hasn't queued him up. as for [MAXAGE], only time will tell.

Also [NOPAIN] isn't necessarily as easy to test without being able to look at his wounds screen. But, we really shouldn't.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13535 on: March 06, 2010, 11:21:34 am »

Sorry to jump back a few pages, but when I noticed this a few days ago the idea of having DF output XML files sparked my interest, so I've written a simple program that converts the current files to XML (just the site&pop/history for the moment). 

Discussion Topic

Back semi-on-topic: Are there any changes made to the sites_and_population or world_history files for the next version?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13536 on: March 06, 2010, 01:33:19 pm »

Nice timmeh but actually the next version will export more things then the actual one. Appearances etc. i guess (footkerchief back me up on this please!). Having that pre-formated would be rather nice.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

naufrago

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13537 on: March 06, 2010, 04:55:19 pm »

So, I just now looked at the dev_now logs and noticed this entry-

02/26/2010: ...There was kind of a violent explosion of boiling human blood when I was testing a human vs a magma man in the arena... it was a little weird, but I guess that's okay.

I think a possible way to fix this would be to introduce specific heat capacity, conductivity, and how much volume of a material there is in a given amount of space (like in a tile, in a creature, or a limb). I've only recently become interested in the game and don't know everything there is to know about dwarf fortress, so I don't know exactly what the current implementation is.

It would be cumbersome to manage in all cases, but if you limit the calculations to when creatures come in contact with other materials, it would help limit the processing load while preventing somewhat unrealistic scenarios like the one described in your entry. Now that I think about it, that would still probably require a ton of computations, so maybe limit it to combat scenarios with particularly hot or cold creatures, or when taking a swim in hot or cold liquids. *shrug* The solution may not provide much benefit for the necessary work, but it could help add another layer of physics realism that you could maybe make use of at some point.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13538 on: March 06, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »

02/26/2010: ...There was kind of a violent explosion of boiling human blood when I was testing a human vs a magma man in the arena... it was a little weird, but I guess that's okay.

I think a possible way to fix this would be to introduce specific heat capacity, conductivity, and how much volume of a material there is in a given amount of space (like in a tile, in a creature, or a limb). I've only recently become interested in the game and don't know everything there is to know about dwarf fortress, so I don't know exactly what the current implementation is.

It would be cumbersome to manage in all cases, but if you limit the calculations to when creatures come in contact with other materials, it would help limit the processing load while preventing somewhat unrealistic scenarios like the one described in your entry. Now that I think about it, that would still probably require a ton of computations, so maybe limit it to combat scenarios with particularly hot or cold creatures, or when taking a swim in hot or cold liquids. *shrug* The solution may not provide much benefit for the necessary work, but it could help add another layer of physics realism that you could maybe make use of at some point.

There is specific heat capacity is already there. Conductivity is gonna be fixed this release, as magma men didnt melt with those they wrestled. Now they do! ^_^
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

naufrago

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13539 on: March 06, 2010, 05:07:22 pm »

There is specific heat capacity is already there. Conductivity is gonna be fixed this release, as magma men didnt melt with those they wrestled. Now they do! ^_^

oh... well, good to know. Sorry for being ignorant and suggesting something that's already in the game =p

With all that, it seems a bit weird that blood boiling could cause a violent blood explosion.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13540 on: March 06, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »

Which gives me a thought:

Has the bug where magma buildings are unbuildable on reclaim been fixed in the new release? I'm sure you and Zach and the other testers have done a few reclaims by now.

Yes, it seems to have been fixed, although I believe there are other issues with reclaim at the moment.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13541 on: March 06, 2010, 05:26:12 pm »

oh... well, good to know. Sorry for being ignorant and suggesting something that's already in the game =p

With all that, it seems a bit weird that blood boiling could cause a violent blood explosion.
S'why it was a notable bug. 8b
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13542 on: March 06, 2010, 06:03:50 pm »

Quote from: Toady one on the 22 January 2009
Quote from: Heph
Toady with  new raws and all do we get the chance to set things on fire? I mean on  will and without firebreath, Fire-imp-remains or magma.

Also  ,since i am at fire, i didnt check with the raws but do we have an  "Thermal conductivity" for materials?

I don't  understand the first part.  You can set an ignition point.

I  don't have thermal conductivity at this point, so I think it mostly just  ends up using specific heat for any transition  questions.  Might need to add it later, but I don't really want to  complicate temperature further at this point, since it's already a huge  bottleneck.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13543 on: March 07, 2010, 01:38:22 am »

Thread has been slow for a few days. Did someone check the booze stockpiles? Did someone forget to make new barrels?
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13544 on: March 07, 2010, 02:32:19 am »

Thats spring my friend. All the birds and the bees, elves at the trade depot you know? The hormones (we definitly need hormones in one f the next updates) are just cooking over and toady hasnt done a good dev-blog update to keep us focused. That and i guess everyone is waiting for a good theme.

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 901 902 [903] 904 905 ... 1065