Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632885 times)

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13410 on: March 02, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »

Read the dev log for the latest: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

This link has vomit on it. Where is Urist McIdler and why isn't he cleaning this up?

Also, totally can't wait for Health care and Combat stuff. Everything I've read so far is quite pleasing.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13411 on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:23 pm »

Thanks, I just went through five minutes of F5'ing, cache clearing, and Ctrl-F'ing for a new mention of vomit in the dev log before I got the joke.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

WoolyPounds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13412 on: March 02, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »

This link has vomit on it. Where is Urist McIdler and why isn't he cleaning this up?

Also, totally can't wait for Health care and Combat stuff. Everything I've read so far is quite pleasing.

*Insert generic politically-charged quip*

I've lurked around the forums for a little while now, but I can't find an answer to this; Is there any chance for additions to the history/ fluff text? What I mean is will there be more metaphors used in crafts and engravings and more specifics in Legends mode? I love the current system, but I would just like to see more variation in it. I see too many "Goblin Fiendface is making a plantive gesture/ in a fetal position. Urist McMurder is laughing/ smiling. This engraving refers to the mortal wounding/ slaying of blah blah..." I know there are a few other variations specifically for killings (depending the circumstances), but I would love to see additional flavor text. Keep the system, no problems there, but add to the database/ list of possibilities.

I know this isn't an important issue, I was just wondering if there is any energy going in that way and what other people think.

(PS: I'm writing this while extremely distracted, so I'm sorry if it doesn't make much sense.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:30:17 pm by WoolyPounds »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13413 on: March 02, 2010, 05:53:03 pm »

I've lurked around the forums for a little while now, but I can't find an answer to this; Is there any chance for additions to the history/ fluff text? What I mean is will there be more metaphors used in crafts and engravings and more specifics in Legends mode? I love the current system, but I would just like to see more variation in it. I see too many "Goblin Fiendface is making a plantive gesture/ in a fetal position. Urist McMurder is laughing/ smiling. This engraving refers to the mortal wounding/ slaying of blah blah..." I know there are a few other variations specifically for killings (depending the circumstances), but I would love to see additional flavor text. Keep the system, no problems there, but add to the database/ list of possibilities.

I know this isn't an important issue, I was just wondering if there is any energy going in that way and what other people think.

(PS: I'm writing this while extremely distracted, so I'm sorry if it doesn't make much sense.)
There's definitely a chance of that later, as in during a later release. Go roll around in the suggestions thread and maybe even produce a list of useful ones and you might see it as early as a few weeks after the next version. Maybe.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13414 on: March 02, 2010, 06:10:00 pm »

There's definitely a chance of that later, as in during a later release. Go roll around in the suggestions thread and maybe even produce a list of useful ones and you might see it as early as a few weeks after the next version. Maybe.

There are mods that give more verbose engravings.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13415 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:34 pm »

There are mods that give more verbose engravings.
Yeah, but those only add shapes which don't have anything to do with history. Although entertaining, it doesn't really add much to the atmosphere. Mods can't link specific engraving descriptions to historical events.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13416 on: March 02, 2010, 07:59:46 pm »

I do not remember the name of it, but I remember seeing a mod that added extra event types into history - thus adding more engraving discriptors (I also could be horribly wrong) You may want to ask around in the modding forums about it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13417 on: March 02, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »

It's 100% certain that the historical events (and the corresponding flavor text) will be expanded in the future, once more stuff happens during worldgen.  The upcoming version has some minor updates (includes the weapon when describing kill events).  Larger changes are coming soon after this release, when Toady does the worldgen-related Army Arc items as groundwork for siege improvements.

I do not remember the name of it, but I remember seeing a mod that added extra event types into history - thus adding more engraving discriptors (I also could be horribly wrong) You may want to ask around in the modding forums about it.

There are no mods that add extra historical event types -- those are hardcoded.  The tricks with shape descriptors etc. can look a lot like historical events, but they're fake.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13418 on: March 02, 2010, 08:37:53 pm »

~snip~
There are no mods that add extra historical event types -- those are hardcoded.  The tricks with shape descriptors etc. can look a lot like historical events, but they're fake.
Ah that would be me being horribly wrong then. good to know that will be open in the future though.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13419 on: March 03, 2010, 12:14:46 am »

The scientific thing to do in this situation is to wait until you can have accurate data, and then work with it.

The scientific thing to do is to go round up a couple of grad students and put them to work on the problem.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13420 on: March 03, 2010, 12:56:17 am »

The scientific thing to do in this situation is to wait until you can have accurate data, and then work with it.

The scientific thing to do is to go round up a couple of grad students and put them to work on the problem.
The scientific thing to do is to round up a few people to round up several groups of grad students, then put annoying restrictions on each group except for control (like only using IE or notepad, or must do all inter-communication via comments on a Rick roll video) finally comparing the results.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13421 on: March 03, 2010, 01:08:23 am »

It was quite awhile ago that we were talking about pheromone languages but there are some other interesting things that are apparently possible with smell:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8539000/8539525.stm
Humans smell in stereo too.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13422 on: March 03, 2010, 02:34:35 am »

Yes, but we don't navigate by it, which is what the article was talking about.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13423 on: March 03, 2010, 04:53:38 am »

Yes, but we don't navigate by it, which is what the article was talking about.
Speak for yourself.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13424 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:23 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Military bugs and usability complaints starting tomorrow. Most recently we fixed demons with disconnected lower bodies... burrow deletion... hunter troubles (poor dwarves clubbing with crossbows are pretty good about safety now... hunters always seem to become broken!)... lots of buckets filled with water being scattered around that aren't ever used again because they aren't empty...

That bucket bug sounds very annoying.. glad it's fixed for release.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 893 894 [895] 896 897 ... 1065