Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632849 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13395 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:37 pm »

But, if this is the only data we have, such a value is the only one we can accurately find.
Because extrapolating from false data has done so much good for the human race in the past.  ;Db

The scientific thing to do in this situation is to wait until you can have accurate data, and then work with it.

Ah, but what would the dwarvenly thing to do be?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13396 on: March 01, 2010, 09:53:43 pm »

The scientific thing to do in this situation is to wait until you can have accurate data, and then work with it.
Ah, but what would the dwarvenly thing to do be?
Flood it with magma.
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13397 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:46 pm »

After reading the report, I have decided Threetoe is made of pure awesome.

And what would you do with the burned out solution you get from that process?
Let me guess... Flood it with water, mine out the obsidian, and then decorate it with every substance known to dwarf?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13398 on: March 01, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »

And what would you do with the burned out solution you get from that process?
Let me guess... Flood it with water, mine out the obsidian, and then decorate it with every substance known to dwarf?

And then dump it into a magma vent.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13399 on: March 01, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »

The rigorous scientific thing to do would be that, barring experimentation, but why set such high standards? This is a chance to publish not once, but twice!

alternatively observe the lower left panel: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1156. Turns out you can have a significant amount of enjoyment from just one datapoint.

I think assuming that the weights are normally distributed would be fairly safe. Toady is trying to emulate reality, and normal distributions are pretty common.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13400 on: March 02, 2010, 12:18:05 am »

Curse you metric system. Curse yoooou.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13401 on: March 02, 2010, 12:24:08 am »

Mythbuster does to employ controls.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13402 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:38 am »

I think assuming that the weights are normally distributed would be fairly safe. Toady is trying to emulate reality, and normal distributions are pretty common.

The distrubution of dwarven volume and, therefore, dwarven mass, is defined in the raws by having a single base value of 60000 mL with no variance modified by height and broadness modifiers. Both the height and broadness modifers have a equal chance of being one of 75%, 95%, 98%, 100%, 102%, 105% and 125%.

The weights are normally distributed, but only because they are modified by both broadness and height. They have a standard deviation of about 17000 or so. I calculated it, bu them I forgot where I put it and I'll be darned if I'm about to do all of that math over.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13403 on: March 02, 2010, 01:11:28 am »

Both the height and broadness modifers have a equal chance of being one of 75%, 95%, 98%, 100%, 102%, 105% and 125%.

Didn't Toady say in a DFTalk that it was based on percentile-bell-curve-whatever-it's-called-thing?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13404 on: March 02, 2010, 03:04:47 am »

So dwarves weigh between 43 and 122 kg, an average of 82.5 kg.

We already know that dwarves have an average body size of 60,000 cubic centimetres.

That puts their average density at 1.375 g/cm^3.  Water has a density of 1 g/cm^3.

No wonder dwarves can't swim.
In calm water you could keep that afloat with sufficient effort but you're assuming that these weights and volumes scale proportionally. Outliers could skew either value so what we really need to know are the mean values for these, given a sufficiently large sample.

actually if you take a human that weighs 150 lbs. put a 60 lbs. weight belt on him without fins and such he could swim if he was really good at it, not for too long though, but he could jump off the bottom pretty good.  with us humans drowning has more to do with fear and panic than buoyancy, though +60 lbs. in water is a lot to overcome.  i weigh 120 which would be 48 lbs. at 40%, and i am pretty good at swimming.  the rate at which i would burn up my oxygen opposed to how quickly i could get it with the back and forth of bringing your head out of the water would mean that i could keep it up for more than 1:30 minutes to 2:00 minutes, which seems like the swimming skill is pretty accurate then.  now if you take into account jumping off the bottom to get air when at 15 feet or so and staying fairly relaxed then i could survive a lot longer than 2:00 minutes, and get out if i wanted as well.

in the end the number gives credit to the swimming skill, so it might very well be accurate for dwarves.

oh yeah, rough water doesn't sink a self contained vessel any faster than calm water, so you might drown faster in rough water (breathing waves), but you will still have the same buoyancy and thrust characteristics.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13405 on: March 02, 2010, 07:12:36 am »

I was going to say that we do know the exact distribution used for weights and such, but Grek beat me to it.  The specific quote (from the raw previews in the Ark Project thread) is

These body modifiers give individual dwarves different
characteristics.  In the case of HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH, the
modifier is also a percentage change to the BODY_SIZE of the
individual creature.  The seven numbers afterward give a distribution
of ranges.  Each interval has an equal chance of occurring.

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
        [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
    [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
        [APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]

We do get a sort of quasi-bellcurve, since the middle intervals are much smaller than the edge ones.  Oddly, though, reversing the math gives slightly larger figures if we start with the BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER tag: from 46 to 129 kg, instead of 43 to 122 kg.  Either Toady has changed some numbers, or there's something else we're not considering.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13406 on: March 02, 2010, 07:34:24 am »

Translator. Please Babelizer clever little statement. To my mind, some facts from the following text, I literally (and therefore, Kirodowafu 122 I): Tarn, structure, instead of the language of laughter, the interests of the fat, you get all that is known is known to use conversion.

it had to be done. forgive me, my friends!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13407 on: March 02, 2010, 02:54:18 pm »

No dev_log update makes me a sad panda.  :(

tombthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • oddly appropriate name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13408 on: March 02, 2010, 04:17:32 pm »

So dwarves weigh between 43 and 122 kg, an average of 82.5 kg.

We already know that dwarves have an average body size of 60,000 cubic centimetres.

That puts their average density at 1.375 g/cm^3.  Water has a density of 1 g/cm^3.

No wonder dwarves can't swim.

and also supports the stereotype of dwarves being ultra-strong/tough miners (majority muscle, thick skin, and heavy bones)
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13409 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:40 pm »

Now I'll be able to give appropriate insulting nicknames to nobles!

Urist the Obese, Bomrek the Gangly, etcetera.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 892 893 [894] 895 896 ... 1065