Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632936 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13380 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »

So dwarves weigh between 43 and 122 kg, an average of 82.5 kg.

We already know that dwarves have an average body size of 60,000 cubic centimetres.

That puts their average density at 1.375 g/cm^3.  Water has a density of 1 g/cm^3.

No wonder dwarves can't swim.

Apparently, the mean density of Jupiter is about the same as that of dwarves. According to Wolfram.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13381 on: March 01, 2010, 04:41:15 pm »

We already know that dwarves have an average body size of 60,000 cubic centimetres.

That puts their average density at 1.375 g/cm^3.  Water has a density of 1 g/cm^3.

Yeah, densities are thoroughly broken right now -- all the body materials have the same density of 500.  Once that's fixed, the overall density should fall to something more sensible.

Will wounds transfer to corpses now, or do we still need to view the creature when it was alive to see its wounds/how it died? (I realize the combat logs go a long way to make up for this but I'm curious)

This came up a long while back:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Footkerchief
Will there be a way to actually view corpse wounds?  Will corpses be able to receive more wounds?

Hrm, I don't really know.  Maybe not, as item viewing has often gotten the short end of the stick, though the appearance paragraph generator could very well be applied direcly to the corpse items, and they have all the info, so maybe it will go in.  Right now, corpses don't receive additional abuse, but given that Armok 1 had that whole corpse processing thing well underway, there will eventually be lots of things in this direction.  Adventure mode could very well become creepy, and the adv skills arc is probably when we'll be going there.

Quote from: Tormy
Also, Toady....what does this means exactly?

"01/07/2009. Some more unit information for corpses"

Various appearance/wound data is transferred to corpse/pieces now, enough to kind of give a snapshot of the creature at the time.  So you could cut off one of the hydra's heads, and if you manage to keep it from rotting somehow, you could come back in ten years and be like, "you looked younger back then!"  But the main utility is just tracking colors and so on, so that leather makes sense and all that.

So wounds get transferred to corpses, but there's no way of viewing them.  This is still true currently, and since Toady's trying to get the release done, it's very likely to get put off until he's working on adventurer skills stuff (which will be soon after the upcoming release).

derigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13382 on: March 01, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »

Dwarves only have children with their spouses. I don't know why you'd think it would be any other way.

The wiki is back up now.  Its actually NOT stated anywhere in the wiki anywhere one way or the other.  So I'll have to take your and Innominate's words for this.

Also, I was under the impression that dwarves mated via spores as well.  Are all husbands their baby's daddy?  Is this new or has it always been this way?  I'm not talking about infidelity (an interesting subject in itself!) but rather about rogue dwarf spores floating around inpregnating other people's wives!  Do unmarried dwarf women get impregnated, or is marriage a prerequisite?  I think a couple of those questions can be answered on the wiki, but its down atm.
"Spores" isn't really the most accurate term for how breeding seems to work in DF. It's just a player-base term for how things can breed over long distances.

Essentially, every so often (per season? Toadykerchief - the amalgamation of Toady One and Footkerchief - might know) a female is selected to breed. It chooses from among a list of available males and is instantly, by "spooky action over distance", impregnated. This is the "spore" behaviour. For civilisation creatures, the list of available males is confined to ones to which they are married. For now, this means just one male per female and vice versa.

Though I really wish polygamy and infidelity were entity ethics options, and one day fodder for procedural culture: it would be awesome to have two dwarf civilisations/guilds at odds because one group thought the other were "skanks" and they were in turn thought of as "prudes". It would be especially Fun for the player having to deal with a fortress where dozens of babies were produced each year because birth control doesn't exist and the dwarves had non-stop polygamous sex.

On the other hand, you get a new batch of recruits every time your children mature. A fortress with new babies every year will eventually have a constant supply of goblin fodder.

Yes! Exactly what I meant about infidelity being an interesting topic!  Obviously its represents a cultural more, so it has no bearing on this Arc, but its something to think about. ;p

I'm aware that there are no actual "spores" I just find the concept so amusing that I felt the need to perpetrate it.  "spooky action at a distance" is a good way to say too lol.  So dwarves DO reproduce by spores, their spores are just very good at homing in on their wives.  Actually now that I think about its more like the female decides to get pregnant so she thinks about some male REALLY hard and POOF, she's pregnant.

Anyway, the fact that dwarf spores are restricted in some way in who can impregnate who (even if its totally uncontrollable by the player) gives me hope that we'll at some point be able to control the spores of animals and run animal breeding programs that actually accomplish something, eventually.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13383 on: March 01, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

~snip~
So wounds get transferred to corpses, but there's no way of viewing them.  This is still true currently, and since Toady's trying to get the release done, it's very likely to get put off until he's working on adventurer skills stuff (which will be soon after the upcoming release).
Ah thanks, I thought I had read something on that but "corpses" brings up a lot of search results(Also I failed a spot check) :P

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13384 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08:41 pm »

In calm water you could keep that afloat with sufficient effort but you're assuming that these weights and volumes scale proportionally. Outliers could skew either value so what we really need to know are the mean values for these, given a sufficiently large sample.

I'm aware that there are no actual "spores" I just find the concept so amusing that I felt the need to perpetrate it.  "spooky action at a distance" is a good way to say too lol.
Spooky copulation at a distance...

Given the duration of time passing per tick in fortress mode we can assume they are having many social interactions we're never privy to so even the briefest duration of the two dwarves being the only two in a particular hallway would be plenty of time for a quicky.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13385 on: March 01, 2010, 05:09:49 pm »

Ah thanks, I thought I had read something on that but "corpses" brings up a lot of search results(Also I failed a spot check) :P

No problem.  I only managed to find it because I remembered a particular phrase.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13386 on: March 01, 2010, 05:29:22 pm »

Would it be possible to mod it so that the weight stuff equals pounds? Or is it something that is only accessable to Toady (in other words, hardcoded)?

I could always use some number converter, but just wondering here.

Using the online converter site, 43 kg comes out as about 94 lbs and 122 kg comes out as 269 lbs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:34:17 pm by smjjames »

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13387 on: March 01, 2010, 05:55:55 pm »

My bet is that it's hardcoded.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13388 on: March 01, 2010, 06:04:50 pm »

Quote from: de'log
Actually, the capital gamma (the weight/mass symbol) is a kilogram now
The magic is gone.
Are you insinuating that Toady has to buy time?
Quote from: MissionStatus(Threetoe)
Out of the woods the tiger shoots.  The muscles of the prey animal ripple under its shining hide.  Fangs bared, claws stretched out in the front, the Bay 12 Beast makes its pounce!  What's this?  A shackle around the rear paw?  The funds!  The funds are holding us back!  The hungry wait is hard, but feed the beast and you will be rewarded.
Don't we all?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13389 on: March 01, 2010, 06:07:32 pm »

Ahhh, but you don't know that the weights are evenly distributed, do you? Your average could be off.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #13390 on: March 01, 2010, 06:31:02 pm »

right. I could for instance claim that adult humans weigh between 5 and 1400 lbs. That does not mean that the average human is 702.5 lbs.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13391 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:05 pm »

But, if this is the only data we have, such a value is the only one we can accurately find.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13392 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »

But, if this is the only data we have, such a value is the only one we can accurately find.
Because extrapolating from false data has done so much good for the human race in the past.  ;Db

The scientific thing to do in this situation is to wait until you can have accurate data, and then work with it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13393 on: March 01, 2010, 07:48:47 pm »

If instead of assuming that the weight distribution is flat, we assume that the average dwarf has (roughly) the same density as water, we can then determine that the average dwarf weighs 60 kg (around 130 lbs).  Same number of assumptions, just shifting them around a bit.  Granted, having more data would be nice, but assessing the various assumptions that one can play around with is sometimes the next best option.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13394 on: March 01, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »

It was quite awhile ago that we were talking about pheromone languages but there are some other interesting things that are apparently possible with smell:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8539000/8539525.stm
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 891 892 [893] 894 895 ... 1065