Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632658 times)

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13260 on: February 27, 2010, 12:30:57 pm »

Oddly, I haven't stopped playing at all. But, then, I tend to enjoy younger fortresses then old ones, so I'm used to ditching fortresses long before they're actually finished.

Same deal here. No, I've just stopped trying to make elaborate mods. Too much effort when most ideas can be more easily implemented in the next version, whenever that is.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:16 pm »

Current military management annoys me so much that I vowed not to play until the new version, but I broke after 7-8 months. That was partly because I had things piling up that I wanted to try or get ironed out before the next version. Layouts, organization, biomes I've ignored, etc. But mainly because I just really really wanted to play.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: February 27, 2010, 12:47:46 pm »

I just noticed that I pretty much haven't played DF in the last month. Part of that is because of work issues, but the rest is because of the ever-looming Update.

I want to, but then every time I think about it, I end up going "Nahhh...just wait a little longer".
I still check the boards every day, and the Development pages religiously (am I the only one?), but when it comes to actually getting a game going, it seems almost not worth starting a Fortress that I'll likely never get around to finishing once the next installment hits. 

So I was wondering: How many people have stopped, or atleast slowed down, playing DF until the new update gets here?

I've been on a Darklands kick. It's pretty Dwarfy in its realism.

maybe i'll fire up my darklands, that was a fairly well made game.
Spoiler: OT (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Off Topic: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:54:31 pm by jamoecw »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: February 27, 2010, 02:37:41 pm »

By the inclusion of genetics to the dwarves next version, will it be possible to breed super dwarves?

What will you work on next? I vote for taking a break.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: February 27, 2010, 02:44:08 pm »

By the inclusion of genetics to the dwarves next version, will it be possible to breed super dwarves?

Im pretty sure that the genetics are just for how a dwarf looks.
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: February 27, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »

I vote for taking a break and playing Dwarf Fortress.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: February 27, 2010, 03:49:00 pm »

If a magmaman falls into a lake do they turn into obsidian golems?
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: February 27, 2010, 03:52:54 pm »

Hopefully I'm not about to be That Wanker who missed the already-posted answer to his question.

How will zones work with the new burrows system? Will various zone types be burrow-specific? Will it be possible to relate zones to specific burrows; alternately, can one, say, feed one burrow with a dumping zone for (dumped) materials coming from another? Who'll end up tasked to do the jobs?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: February 27, 2010, 04:04:21 pm »

They have a fixed temperature, so no. If you removed that tag though, they would start solidifying into basalt with a thin crust of obsidian. This will kill them, leaving behind an obsidian stone as a corpse, thanks to their ITEMCORPSE tag. If they didn't  have that tag, they would leave a "magma man corpse." I'm afraid I can't tell you what the physical properties of the corpse would be; I don't think toady has told us yet. If you gave the magma man a cold damage point lower than basalt's freezing point, you might be able to create a solid magma man. I'm not sure on that though. If you can get it to phase change without dying, then it will behave like a big block of moving basalt, with all the durability that implies.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: February 27, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

There's one way to find out. Dwarven science experiments.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13270 on: February 27, 2010, 04:14:46 pm »

Is there a "can Rot"-tag? It would be somehow unsatisfying if a solid Basaltstatue would rot after a time.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

LordStrabo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: February 27, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »

They have a fixed temperature, so no. If you removed that tag though, they would start solidifying into basalt with a thin crust of obsidian. This will kill them, leaving behind an obsidian stone as a corpse, thanks to their ITEMCORPSE tag. If they didn't  have that tag, they would leave a "magma man corpse." I'm afraid I can't tell you what the physical properties of the corpse would be; I don't think toady has told us yet. If you gave the magma man a cold damage point lower than basalt's freezing point, you might be able to create a solid magma man. I'm not sure on that though. If you can get it to phase change without dying, then it will behave like a big block of moving basalt, with all the durability that implies.

But what happens to the lake? Does it turn to steam? Could you use a magma man to completely dry up a lake?

What then happens to the steam? Does it dissipate, and then condense elsewhere? Could you use a channel dug out of rock to channel this steam before it condenses?

"I suppose you could use pumps...but my irrigation system is powered by magma men."

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: February 27, 2010, 04:47:18 pm »

In principle, the steam would eventually condense. However, as a gas flow, it's likely to dissipate first. If it did condense, it would probably be into that weird, stationary, inventory water that buckets hold.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: February 27, 2010, 05:32:41 pm »

That reminds me, I've been wondering how the new butchery system would handle non-fleshy creatures. If you take the ITEMCORPSE tag off, say, an iron man, and butcher it, will you get:

1. Usable iron
2. Iron in some form you can't use
3. "Iron man meat"
4. Iron man chunks (the current result), or
5. Nothing?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: February 27, 2010, 05:49:01 pm »

He's got the [NOMEAT] and [NOBONES] tags, so you'd have to take those out as well. As for usasble iron, it depends on whether the "melt item" job looks for a meltable material rather than specific item types.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 1065