Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3632234 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13245 on: February 27, 2010, 02:43:01 am »

Yep, I have.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: February 27, 2010, 04:06:13 am »

I tend to alternate between not playing at all and then thinking "Well, okay, this is going to be my last new fort before the next version." I've probably gone through half a dozen "last new forts."

The most recent one just produced, via a strange mood, the awesomest throne I've ever seen--and all without material-forbidding tricks too. Carved out of native gold, decorated with more native gold and GCS silk, spikes of onyx, images of the founding of the fortress in native gold and dragon leather, green glass crosses, and a fishbone carving depicting one of the two previously made legendary wooden toy hammers.

I think the queen is going to be very very happy with her throne room when she gets here.  ;D

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: February 27, 2010, 04:16:56 am »

I stopped playing the current DF around last christmas. I first expected the new version to come out in January so I stopped playing because "it was so close". Then februrary came and I was like "well, I guess I'll wait a bit more.." and now March is almost here and I'm still thinking that it'll come soon.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13248 on: February 27, 2010, 04:52:31 am »

I stopped playing the current DF around last christmas. I first expected the new version to come out in January so I stopped playing because "it was so close". Then februrary came and I was like "well, I guess I'll wait a bit more.." and now March is almost here and I'm still thinking that it'll come soon.
Some of us oldbies here had that, and still have, that sentiment since 1 year ago.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: February 27, 2010, 04:56:22 am »

Yeah, I can't really bring myself to play, what with the next version psychologically round the next corner.  I just check this site everyday to keep my spirits up.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: February 27, 2010, 05:15:13 am »

Some of us oldbies here had that, and still have, that sentiment since 1 year ago.

I consider myself as an oldbie, played since the 2D version  ;D
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:35 am »

I get what you mean now, however, the file size of that would have to be HUGE.

It depends on how the whole thing would work.
48*48 tiles per embark tile is 2,304 tiles per embark. There are 16*16 = 256 embark tiles per world tile, giving us 589,824 tiles per world tile. Even a pocket world at 17*17 would have 170,459,136 tiles in it. Even assuming we somehow only needed one byte per tile (whereas currently we need an entire byte just for the water level) and keeping in mind that this is only for a single z-level, this is over 162 megabytes.

A full-information export is clearly out of the question. Even with massive simplification, including having lower-resolution maps for "uninteresting" areas (which could just mean those in which the player has never acted), it would be prohibitively expensive to do.

Besides, most of the information would be essentially meaningless; the geography of the entity sites in the game has absolutely no bearing on their function during worldgen - Toady had to make optimisations like that so that worldgen would take minutes instead of years to run.

The best you can hope for is yearly exporting of fortress maps, something which is possible in the current version.

And really, releasing raw data rather than a sanitised historical map would reveal the structure of the game's memory, something which I assume Toady would rather keep to himself.

I don't see why you would need to record the tiles in an embark tile for an area that is not a site... OTOH, I'd love it if the game could export the elevation of each embark tile (the elevation of each corner and the elevation of the highest point- since each corner has four squares in common, you would only need) to store two elevations per tile plus some extra around the borders... that combined with the information you can already export (as a jpeg) could be used to create a pretty convincing 3D map... and the results could be used for feedback in further refining the verisimilitude of world gen. ;)
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: February 27, 2010, 07:32:49 am »

I just noticed that I pretty much haven't played DF in the last month. Part of that is because of work issues, but the rest is because of the ever-looming Update.

I want to, but then every time I think about it, I end up going "Nahhh...just wait a little longer".
I still check the boards every day, and the Development pages religiously (am I the only one?), but when it comes to actually getting a game going, it seems almost not worth starting a Fortress that I'll likely never get around to finishing once the next installment hits. 

So I was wondering: How many people have stopped, or atleast slowed down, playing DF until the new update gets here?
I still start it up, but I rarely play more than a few minutes.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Pathos

« Reply #13253 on: February 27, 2010, 07:36:04 am »

'Tis truth.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13254 on: February 27, 2010, 08:00:08 am »

I've stopped playing mostly. I'm waiting for the new version to, so I can replace all my current frustrations with new frustrations. >.> And lots and lots of joy in doing cool stuff.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: February 27, 2010, 09:20:32 am »

I've stopped playing mostly. I'm waiting for the new version to, so I can replace all my current frustrations with new frustrations replace old expliot bugs with new ones. >.> And lots and lots of joy in doing cool stuff.

Fix'd, cause you know there are gonna be new bugs, some that annoy, some that are weird, and some the are just plain AWESOME
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: February 27, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

Json schema is currently lacking and schema-hybrids are nonexistent. (quality "schema" for, for example, hypothetical xml-raws would allow to make modding tools quite easily and would allow neat features like code-completition and instant sanity checks for values).

Also, you can attach stylesheet to xml file and display it as formated document without having to edit single line.

Not to mention xslt stuff. Writing legend-to-html file transform would be damned easy. Converting raw xmls to pdfs is in junior-developer-1-day-task league.

Json is good for tiny calls where you do no want bloat (like ajax), but for more structured information in bigger volume, i'd take xml because of existing tools.

YAML sounds like a good alternative to both JSON and XML. Actually since version 1.2 it's a superset of JSON, but it's preferred syntax is much cleaner (i.e. no mess of braces. Though if you're afraid of those your should try coding in Lisp... muhaha).
YAML has several parsers available, as well as tools to convert to/from XML if needed. It also has two  externally defined schema descriptor languages, for on-the fly validation and stuff.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: February 27, 2010, 11:12:15 am »

I just noticed that I pretty much haven't played DF in the last month. Part of that is because of work issues, but the rest is because of the ever-looming Update.

I want to, but then every time I think about it, I end up going "Nahhh...just wait a little longer".
I still check the boards every day, and the Development pages religiously (am I the only one?), but when it comes to actually getting a game going, it seems almost not worth starting a Fortress that I'll likely never get around to finishing once the next installment hits. 

So I was wondering: How many people have stopped, or atleast slowed down, playing DF until the new update gets here?

I've been on a Darklands kick. It's pretty Dwarfy in its realism.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: February 27, 2010, 11:54:49 am »

Spoiler: OT (click to show/hide)
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: February 27, 2010, 12:17:50 pm »

Oddly, I haven't stopped playing at all. But, then, I tend to enjoy younger fortresses then old ones, so I'm used to ditching fortresses long before they're actually finished.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1065