Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631522 times)

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13110 on: February 25, 2010, 07:04:03 am »

still, it's true :(

And then if we get into February it wouldn't shock me. If we get into March, well, that's just sad.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13111 on: February 25, 2010, 07:12:47 am »

It's the 90:10 -> 10:90 rule, people...
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13112 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:46 am »

Aren't "unforeseen bugs and errors" pretty much the only kind you usually encounter in programming? Unless of course it went like "Oi, did this code actually do that? I suppose I could see that one coming." when you deliberately make potentially problem-causing code due to lack of a better or less time-consuming solution.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13113 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:09 am »

Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.
Green glass visor slits take care of half of that.

Brilliant! Give your enemies shrapnel right next to your eyes!
If it was that useful they'd want to carry around a glass window for fights.

Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.
Green glass visor slits take care of half of that.

Brilliant! Give your enemies shrapnel right next to your eyes!
well if you back it with some sort of loose woven cloth (like cheese cloth) then when the glass breaks there is little chance of it going into the eyes.  spun sugar would be a better alternative, although you might need to use egg whites to keep it from reacting with moisture too much.

at which point you are getting all the quality vision of a welder's mask.
If your goal was just to not give them open spots for weapons then mission accomplished.

I imagine the ultramighty superdwarvenly tough axe champions wouldn't need to see all that well anyway. They just kind of pulverize everything they are near until nothing left has a beating heart or otherwise nonobliterated chest cavity.

You'd only even need the one eye slit so they could do a quick sweep to see if any opponents had been trying to hold their breath and not take noisy footsteps in hopes of weathering the storm and fleeing.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13114 on: February 25, 2010, 10:03:13 am »

I imagine the ultramighty superdwarvenly tough axe champions wouldn't need to see all that well anyway. They just kind of pulverize everything they are near until nothing left has a beating heart or otherwise nonobliterated chest cavity.

You'd only even need the one eye slit so they could do a quick sweep to see if any opponents had been trying to hold their breath and not take noisy footsteps in hopes of weathering the storm and fleeing.

Perhaps they can sense their foes through a magnetic field, like an electric eel. The constant pummelling they receive during training could be a primitive method of aligning the magnetic domains in the dwarf and its armour.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13115 on: February 25, 2010, 10:06:26 am »

I suddenly remembered Toph from Avatar. No, not the one with blue catgirls.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13116 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:03 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Sieging humans brought some war polar bears

This fills me with squee.  :D :D :D

I'm picturing the panserbjørne from the Pullman books/movie...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13117 on: February 25, 2010, 10:29:07 am »

I'm picturing the panserbjørne from the Pullman books/movie...

Fixed

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13118 on: February 25, 2010, 10:33:01 am »

still, it's true :(

And then if we get into February it wouldn't shock me. If we get into March, well, that's just sad.

Ha ha, that was recorded in September or October I think, before the flu knocked me out for ~three weeks.  So, would April be sad?  Yeah!  Is it also possible, even if I don't get really sick again?  Yeah!  It would still be sad though.  This release cycle has been sadly long.  The game is roughly as dirty now as it was for the first releases in 2006, which most of the current players weren't around for.  I don't feel like I can release it like that, so I'm making it a little more clean to avoid some shock and misery (hopefully...  who knows what thousands of people will dig up...).  I know that's frustrating for people that don't care as much about crashes and all that, and it's also frustrating for people that do care about crashes just because it has been a while, but I still think it would be better to release something that kind of works this time around, where features that already exist aren't crippled in many cases and new features are pretty okay.  A lot of things work now, but many things are still broken and I'm still getting at least a crash report a day.

Those set a camp fire, which was bad.  Then there were the mounted ones.  That's a feature.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13119 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:17 am »

Heh. Truly, those were highly trained polar bears, indeed.

For a fleeting moment, it sounded like the XML export was already in. A bit sad that it isn't, but we can't have everything. It's probably better suited for a secondary release.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13120 on: February 25, 2010, 10:47:43 am »

I suddenly remembered Toph from Avatar. No, not the one with blue catgirls.

That the blind earthbender?

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13121 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:06 am »

Toady, where did the bears set a fire, anyway? Might be worth leaving the behaviour in a tag, so that we can make pyromaniac creatures.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13122 on: February 25, 2010, 10:50:49 am »

It was just the typical siege camp fires that the human generals usually set on a tree close the border.  The bear thought it was a human general.  The behavior is now controlled by [EQUIPS] and [CAN_LEARN], although imagine at a much later date you'd actually need something to start a fire with or otherwise have some sort of skill/equipment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13123 on: February 25, 2010, 10:51:40 am »

Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!

When I saw this, I immediately thought of those Armored Bears from the Golden Compass trilogy. Looks like the humans found them and forged an alliance :)

Did those bears have armor on them though or not?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #13124 on: February 25, 2010, 10:52:46 am »

Our bears and other war creatures don't have any armor yet.

I should go to bed.
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1065