Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631499 times)

Variant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13095 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:56 am »

I couldn't find anything about it in the Cores, Reqs, etc. so:

Are there any plans to eventually apply the changes to the military interface to civilian dwarves as well?

Specifically, I'm thinking about establishing work crews, so that my woodcutters, for example, would leave the safety of the fortress together, stick fairly close to one another while cutting down the designated trees, go on break as a group, maybe even help each other out with the more stubborn trees (once wood raws are in).

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13096 on: February 25, 2010, 01:24:38 am »

Are there any plans to eventually apply the changes to the military interface to civilian dwarves as well?

Specifically, I'm thinking about establishing work crews, so that my woodcutters, for example, would leave the safety of the fortress together, stick fairly close to one another while cutting down the designated trees, go on break as a group, maybe even help each other out with the more stubborn trees (once wood raws are in).

Well, there are the plans for burrows which would allow you to have them all working in the same area.  I'm pretty sure you could even dynamically redraw their work burrow.  Otherwise, I don't think there is any chance of such in the near future.  HOWEVER, there is a suggestion forum up yonder, where you can suggest such a brilliant plan!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13097 on: February 25, 2010, 01:30:35 am »

Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.
Green glass visor slits take care of half of that.

Brilliant! Give your enemies shrapnel right next to your eyes!
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13098 on: February 25, 2010, 01:31:15 am »

Yet another modding question:

We saw here that there's a creature tag called GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE, which appears to modify creature size without overwriting it completely.
Are there any other creature template tags that work this way? GRAVITATE_LITTER_SIZE? GRAVITIATE_UNDERGROUND_DEPTH?
Are there similar tags for other kinds of templates?  Could I put GRAVITATE_IMPACT_YIELD in a material template?  GRAVITATE_VALUE?

Also, on a vaguely related note, can you use the USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE token in a material template?  e.g. could I define a SHINYMETAL_TEMPLATE that copies most of its values directly from METAL_TEMPLATE?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13099 on: February 25, 2010, 01:43:27 am »

What does "run entity for every single being" mean?  With "allowing large groups of people to have decision power," do you mean that in a democratic sense or something else?  I don't get what you mean about separating groups -- are you asking what will cause people to join different factions within a society?

No. Basically what I am asking is that since every individual cannot make true decisions during World Gen will groups of people be used for the unimportant? How are people put into groups if there are any? (examples include Class, job, religions... blaw)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13100 on: February 25, 2010, 01:52:59 am »

No. Basically what I am asking is that since every individual cannot make true decisions during World Gen will groups of people be used for the unimportant?
(the proletariat) ;)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13101 on: February 25, 2010, 02:24:18 am »

right. this plus "caste".

"rise up, my oppressed worker-caste bretheren! we must throw off the shackles imposed by our larger, [POWER]-tagged opressor! Strength in numbers!"

I hope there is not a way of linking job to caste, actually.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13102 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:48 am »

We saw here that there's a creature tag called GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE, which appears to modify creature size without overwriting it completely.
Are there any other creature template tags that work this way? GRAVITATE_LITTER_SIZE? GRAVITIATE_UNDERGROUND_DEPTH?
Are there similar tags for other kinds of templates?  Could I put GRAVITATE_IMPACT_YIELD in a material template?  GRAVITATE_VALUE?

Nope, it's just GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE (and the related CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC).

Also, on a vaguely related note, can you use the USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE token in a material template?  e.g. could I define a SHINYMETAL_TEMPLATE that copies most of its values directly from METAL_TEMPLATE?

Nope, you can't nest templates yet, although Toady's conscious that it'd be useful.

No. Basically what I am asking is that since every individual cannot make true decisions during World Gen will groups of people be used for the unimportant? How are people put into groups if there are any? (examples include Class, job, religions... blaw)

Ah, yeah, Toady talked a lot about this stuff (leaders of smaller entities, how/why groups split off from each other, difficulties of tracking large numbers of people) in DF Talk 5:

Spoiler: long quotes (click to show/hide)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13103 on: February 25, 2010, 02:38:11 am »

Well, there are the plans for burrows which would allow you to have them all working in the same area.  I'm pretty sure you could even dynamically redraw their work burrow.  Otherwise, I don't think there is any chance of such in the near future.  HOWEVER, there is a suggestion forum up yonder, where you can suggest such a brilliant plan!

in the near future?! you mean the next release, or later?

We are getting burrows in the next version, right? cause I was pretty sure I heard we were....

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13104 on: February 25, 2010, 02:41:43 am »

in the near future?! you mean the next release, or later?

We are getting burrows in the next version, right? cause I was pretty sure I heard we were....

Yes, as can be easily verified with SirPenguin's handy list of upcoming features.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13105 on: February 25, 2010, 02:57:26 am »

Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.

well if you back it with some sort of loose woven cloth (like cheese cloth) then when the glass breaks there is little chance of it going into the eyes.  spun sugar would be a better alternative, although you might need to use egg whites to keep it from reacting with moisture too much.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13106 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:56 am »

well if you back it with some sort of loose woven cloth (like cheese cloth) then when the glass breaks there is little chance of it going into the eyes.  spun sugar would be a better alternative, although you might need to use egg whites to keep it from reacting with moisture too much.

at which point you are getting all the quality vision of a welder's mask.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13107 on: February 25, 2010, 03:44:14 am »

Or how about making a full-face mask and just covering a dwarf with spikes and sending them in?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13108 on: February 25, 2010, 03:50:33 am »

Its been over a month and nothing has changed on the list. I remember back in one of the df talks where Toady said it would be just sad if the release went into march or later. He seems to be plagued by bad luck and unforeseen bugs and errors, which I guess is a side effect of having such a massive amount of shit happening. I can only imagine what it will be like further down the line.

Well, heres hoping the planets align and luck is on his side from now on!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13109 on: February 25, 2010, 05:56:54 am »

Its been over a month and nothing has changed on the list. I remember back in one of the df talks where Toady said it would be just sad if the release went into march or later. He seems to be plagued by bad luck and unforeseen bugs and errors, which I guess is a side effect of having such a massive amount of shit happening. I can only imagine what it will be like further down the line.

Well, heres hoping the planets align and luck is on his side from now on!

Oo

Toady addressed this very issue the last time he answered a bunch of questions. He on the part of 'any remaining test' which is the bug testing, that he cant tell how much progress he has made, because if bugs were foreseeable, he could fix them before they became issues.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1065