Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631362 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13080 on: February 24, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »

King Bidgood, is that you?

In other news: No, you cannot yet.
:I

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: February 24, 2010, 10:03:14 pm »

Good news: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/arena4.png I misremembered.

I don't know if you can change the depth, but you can at least place it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:10 pm »

I knew that.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:01 pm »

Right-oh

Will we be able to edit what exactly the poison does? Could we even mod it to give our dwarves positive effects? Make it more benign? That sort of thing.

Poisons can have a variety of nasty effects, the list of which has been posted many times already:

These are the available poisoning effects: "pain, swelling, oozing wounds, bruising, blisters, numbness, paralysis, fever, bleeding, coughing/vomiting blood, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness, necrosis, impaired vision, drowsiness and dizziness." 

This is an example of a raw syndrome, which is included in the raws for a material:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A poisonous material can be set to be dangerous if inhaled, injected, or if the material in the form of a contaminant (generally blood, vomit, and other pseudoliquids) contacts the victim.

I think there's also been mentioning about linking an effect to a specific body part, but I can't remember if that's going in the upcoming version.

As for giving syndromes positive effects, I think Toady said that won't be possible (and it wouldn't make sense for most of those effects anyway).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:24:43 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: February 24, 2010, 10:32:44 pm »

when can we mod the objects so that they are not using letters/ASCII characters, example the pillar is reusing the O, the armor & clothes all use the [,  etc. basically, have the same system as creatures, but for objects. We would then identify a plate mail from a silk shirt visually ;)   (and yes I'm into that...).

This is a dev item:

# Core50, TILESET SUPPORT, (Future): Allow graphical tiles to be used for all game objects.

If your question is "when," there's no definite timeline, but "Full graphics support" is #7 on ESV, so there's a good chance Toady will work on it in the near future.

This is giving me an idea. Is [POWER] a caste level tag? Does that mean I could give all the races an "evil overlord" caste that would take over civs that respect [ANY_SUITABLE_POWER]?

Looks like POWER is caste-level, yes:

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.

At what version, if any, will multi tiles monsters come into play? Like wagons but bosses where each part is different.

Nobody knows when that'll happen, not even Toady.  It's a popular suggestion, but a difficult one to implement.

I just wanted to know if we could copy random creatures that we liked to be added to another world. I'm pretty sure some new mythological beasts of earth myth "quality" will be generated. I'm quite glad.

From the sounds of things, no, you can't.  They seem to be squirreled away in the save files.

On the topic of castes in the next version, will it be possible to have wild and domesticated versions of the same creature as different castes, with possible differences in size, demeanor, or abilities (such as presence of poison glands)?

If yes, will the domesticated and wild castes be able to interbreed?

Yes except for the domestication part. If it's been sent through the kennel then it's offspring are going to be friendly and if it hasn't they'll be hostile.

They can't stop giving birth to every available caste though so you'd have the floppy ears and friendly attitude version running around with the venomous one out in the wild.

Yeah, Shoku is correct.

I'm just wondering. If some poison somehow ends up in a tile of water, would the water be tainted?

Not yet, no.  Flow contaminants are a CPU hog, so for now it just tracks salinity and nastiness.

I'd like to know if our dwarves are going to keep trying to bury enemy dwarves in coffins in the next version. It's really annoying to have to dump those coffins and forbid the remains. Sorry if that's been answered already.

Turn on auto-forbid for enemy corpses in the (o)rders menu.

With more detailed body sizes and relative bodypart sizes introduced, as well as attack sizes and areas and stuff, will it be possible (anytime soon) to have items that aren't one-size-fits-all? Weapons, specifically. Since we can now determine the grasp size of a creature, approximately, we could afford to have weapons that no longer need tags to determine what size a creature must be to wield them one- or two-handed.

We were discussing this earlier in the thread, although I don't think Toady commented.

Also, since we'll be essentially able to determine the in-game size of the weapon, will there be additional effects for drastic size differences? A human attacking a dragon with a dagger, for example, will never be able to do much against it (I suspect this is already possible due to penetration depth values), but, for example, to a pixie, an arrow would be like a ballista bolt, with appropriate results upon impact.

There aren't "additional effects" per se -- size plays a role in all combat calculations.  But yes, they'll behave in the way you're describing.

I just realized something - do helms protect faces? Are they like greathelms?

Because in the new version, if you have a full adamantine plate armoured knight, that absolutely nothing can penetrate, will a lucky swipe or stab be able to poke through the eye into the brain, or cut the neck/throat, rendering armor useless (if it happens)?
Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.

Yeah, "armor that absolutely nothing can penetrate" doesn't exist in the game.  And Toady mentioned that breastplates have less coverage now.

I probably should have green-out this question before, cause it kind of went unanswered...

can you just tag creatures with [POWER] in their raws or do they have to obtain power through action during world-gen?

Its tag before world gen.

Yup.  POWER means that they're capable of taking power during worldgen, not that they already have power.

Oooh a question for Toady that MAY or may not be a spoiler answer.

Toady I know that you are not going to run entity for every single being in a population because it would be too slow so your reserving it for important individuals. Is there any thought of allowing large groups of people to have decision power? How will these groups be seperated if they exist at all?

What does "run entity for every single being" mean?  With "allowing large groups of people to have decision power," do you mean that in a democratic sense or something else?  I don't get what you mean about separating groups -- are you asking what will cause people to join different factions within a society?

Can we set the level of the water in the Arena mode?
Good news: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/imgs/arena4.png I misremembered.

I don't know if you can change the depth, but you can at least place it.
I knew that.

If you were asking whether you can change the water depth in some other way, no, you can't.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:35:30 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: February 24, 2010, 10:36:00 pm »

Well he hasnt done positive effects yet as i am aware off. The framework as itself can handle it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »

Helpful Stuff

Thanks for the info.

I could see a possible beneficial effect of poison as such: modding a disease to cause perpetual oozing and paralysis with no other adverse affects, and letting the dwarves use it to "farm" expensive goop from otherwise very dangerous creatures. (dragon pus, anyone?)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »

You know, I'm led to an interesting question which has probably been asked at least once in the labyrinth of posts that is this thread.

Would it be possible to give a creature acid (or some other material that works roughly the same) for blood, which would cause contact damage to items it bleeds on and/or harm anything that fights it melee?  An example of this would be the Xenomorphs of the Alien films.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: February 24, 2010, 11:30:11 pm »

Yes, I think.  Just have a fluid layer underneath the exoskeleton where the fluid is some sort of dangerous substance because of temperature.  In other words, a shell filled with magma will leak magma when you pierce it.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: February 24, 2010, 11:50:44 pm »

Quote from: Aqizzar
If the engine can already tell whether there's magma underneath a workshop for forges and smelters, what would it take to make another tag that does the same for water?

It wouldn't take that much.  There are a few places where it does the detection that would need to be updated, and it would need to be handled in raw loading and in the building placement interface.  I have a few things like this written down that people have requested.  If they don't go in now, as the first building raws starting springing up, there will probably be enough support to get them in fairly quickly.

I do hope this is implemented in such a way that one can have a building that functions if it has access to magma AND water... ;D
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: February 25, 2010, 12:06:51 am »

Yes, I think.  Just have a fluid layer underneath the exoskeleton where the fluid is some sort of dangerous substance because of temperature.  In other words, a shell filled with magma will leak magma when you pierce it.
The tissue layer would work, but wouldn't be necessary; you could just set it to have magma blood.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:36 am »

If the engine can already tell whether there's magma underneath a workshop for forges and smelters, what would it take to make another tag that does the same for water?

It wouldn't take that much.  There are a few places where it does the detection that would need to be updated, and it would need to be handled in raw loading and in the building placement interface.  I have a few things like this written down that people have requested.  If they don't go in now, as the first building raws starting springing up, there will probably be enough support to get them in fairly quickly.

I do hope this is implemented in such a way that one can have a building that functions if it has access to magma AND water... ;D

An obscenely easy obsidian factory? Or just a magma still?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:50 am »

Obsidian farming to the small scale, would be nice to see it require a single log to make swords  ;)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: February 25, 2010, 12:15:07 am »

With the castes, Tyranids will be possible.

Very possible.
Do it. Add art and it will be amazing.
Well, looks like I've just found my first modding idea. Why thank you.
(Though someone else can do the art. I was never any good at that.)
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: February 25, 2010, 01:10:50 am »

I wonder how well will work modding trolls as caste of goblins to make them appear in sieges. I have played many many forts, but have never had a siege bringing trolls.
If they still have the right connections to use trolls you could just make trolls show up in more biomes so they would have access to them.

I'd like to know if our dwarves are going to keep trying to bury enemy dwarves in coffins in the next version. It's really annoying to have to dump those coffins and forbid the remains. Sorry if that's been answered already.

And yeah. I can see Goblins sieges being a lot worse when they all start showing up with weapons coated in flesh-eating poison....
Deactivate your garbage zones and dump the remains into a channeled out pit instead.

thanks shoku, didn't think it was possible, but it never hurts to ask.
It was excruciating for me u_u

Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.
Green glass visor slits take care of half of that.

To the batcave?

...okay, I'm done.

No, no, carry on. This is amusing. I shall also require someone to mod in a real Batman species post release.
Naw, just make it a 1 in max chance caste.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 871 872 [873] 874 875 ... 1065