Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631390 times)

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13050 on: February 24, 2010, 10:09:12 am »

The ability to poison water supplies would be awesome, especially when it gets to the point where we can raid other nearby civs.

Also, very much looking forward to the ability to just kill the elves, instead of making a series of ever more elaborate death traps for them. Just grab your military and charge! towards free trade goods.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:28 am »

Will the kill command only work on creatures from other civs, or can I start the hermit challenge with murder?

Being able to draft one of my starting seven, and ordering him to kill the others would be neat. Plus the ability to execute useless dwarves. (10 fisherdwarves? In my desert!?)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: February 24, 2010, 11:29:11 am »

flying item thieves

Hmm, the first thing that comes to mind would be crows. Dragons and other mega/semi-megabeasts already steal stuff, although not actively from your fort.

Will the kill command only work on creatures from other civs, or can I start the hermit challenge with murder?

Being able to draft one of my starting seven, and ordering him to kill the others would be neat. Plus the ability to execute useless dwarves. (10 fisherdwarves? In my desert!?)

Greened it for you. Also, we still can't order our own dwarves to be executed, but there are plenty of ways to get rid of them.

nm on the green as I just answered it for you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:33:13 am by smjjames »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: February 24, 2010, 12:38:08 pm »

In regards to dipping things into poisonous substances. Will the "poison coating room" I described earlier work? To recap - it's a room where weapons are dumped and some poison is vaporized in the middle, causing vapors to condense as a coverage of poison on the weapons. I don't think we got a definite answer on that one.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: February 24, 2010, 01:57:23 pm »

flying item thieves

Hmm, the first thing that comes to mind would be crows. Dragons and other mega/semi-megabeasts already steal stuff, although not actively from your fort.

The first thing that came to my mind was a kobold that bumped into my hammerdwarf.

I'm getting the feeling that despite all our new dwarf medicine, horrific deaths will be not only more diverse as a result of poisons, venom, and various breath weapons, but also more numerous.  Better start stockpiling the coffins...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13055 on: February 24, 2010, 02:00:35 pm »

Yep, getting that mausoleum built right on embark may be more critical than planning your first bedroom.

I think I'll just make everyone an individual bedroom, with coffin. Dual purpose.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: February 24, 2010, 02:01:45 pm »

I'd like to know if our dwarves are going to keep trying to bury enemy dwarves in coffins in the next version. It's really annoying to have to dump those coffins and forbid the remains. Sorry if that's been answered already.

And yeah. I can see Goblins sieges being a lot worse when they all start showing up with weapons coated in flesh-eating poison....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: February 24, 2010, 03:13:37 pm »

thanks shoku, didn't think it was possible, but it never hurts to ask.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:43 pm »

I'm getting the feeling that despite all our new dwarf medicine, horrific deaths will be not only more diverse as a result of poisons, venom, and various breath weapons, but also more numerous.  Better start stockpiling the coffins...

Yeah and I'm pretty sure Toady said there will be no antivenin/antidotes this release. I guess you just drag poisoned dwarves to bed and hope for the best.

I love the thought of the underground being full of bat men with poisoned blowguns and stuff like that. Don't get too attached to your miners.
« Reply #13059 on: February 24, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but
Will pointy weapons still be able to corkscrew through several organs?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: February 24, 2010, 04:09:01 pm »

Nope. The new wound system has a much deeper understanding of the relationships between bodyparts, so that will no longer be possible.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: February 24, 2010, 04:24:15 pm »

Actually, they'll still be able to hit multiple organs. For example, eye and brain. There're some size/position relations within body plans now, so that attack can still hit several important things on their way through, but only in certain specific cases.

This is actually related to a question I think I forgot to ask.

With more detailed body sizes and relative bodypart sizes introduced, as well as attack sizes and areas and stuff, will it be possible (anytime soon) to have items that aren't one-size-fits-all? Weapons, specifically. Since we can now determine the grasp size of a creature, approximately, we could afford to have weapons that no longer need tags to determine what size a creature must be to wield them one- or two-handed.

Also, since we'll be essentially able to determine the in-game size of the weapon, will there be additional effects for drastic size differences? A human attacking a dragon with a dagger, for example, will never be able to do much against it (I suspect this is already possible due to penetration depth values), but, for example, to a pixie, an arrow would be like a ballista bolt, with appropriate results upon impact.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:31:42 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: February 24, 2010, 04:35:45 pm »

I just realized something - do helms protect faces? Are they like greathelms?

Because in the new version, if you have a full adamantine plate armoured knight, that absolutely nothing can penetrate, will a lucky swipe or stab be able to poke through the eye into the brain, or cut the neck/throat, rendering armor useless (if it happens)?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: February 24, 2010, 04:54:37 pm »

Quote from: Nivm
So is any temp-raw counterpart created when a random forgotten beast is added?

Yeah, they work directly from internal text raws that are generated beforehand.  There is also a special raw file in the folder that shouldn't be tampered with.  If it is tampered with badly enough, random creatures will be skipped, at least while random creatures are hard-coded in part.

I just wanted to know if we could copy random creatures that we liked to be added to another world. I'm pretty sure some new mythological beasts of earth myth "quality" will be generated. I'm quite glad.
I thought this was one of the purposes of having the save-unique rawfolder- being able to grab the RGBs out. But, not sure. IT seems to be implied that, since it's there, you can yoink it and put them in another world...but you'll probably need to edit and do things like remove the [RANDOM] tag.

You cannot kill-order your dwarves. It is not planned to be implemented as a military action until somewhere near the point when the dwarves can, instead of obeying, decide to flip you the cave swallow.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: February 24, 2010, 04:55:36 pm »

Orkel, there's got to be a way in, or else your dwarves can't breathe or see. There will always be the chance of a lucky blow.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1065