Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631276 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #13035 on: February 24, 2010, 12:32:28 am »

Something that occured to me the other day. 

How many castes can a given creature have, and how rare can a caste be? Could I, for example, mod humans so that they have a 997/1000 chance to be normal, 1/1000 chance to hoot webs, 1/1000 chance to have really strong bones and claws, 1/1000 chance to fly and shoot lightning?

I think Toady said that there is a limit of 1,000 or maybe 10,000 castes, which is plenty of room. For the rarity though, no idea
You can set a caste to have an absurdly low rate of appearance.  I think white panthers are one-in-a-thousand in the next version, so everything you said there is doable. With rates that low, however, it's entirely possible that you'll generate a world without any of a given caste, especially if your culling unimportant historical figures.

That's quite alright. If I can tweak the rarity right, I should be able to give any given siege a even chance of having a mutant, which is what I want.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13036 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:53 am »

Something that occured to me the other day. 

How many castes can a given creature have, and how rare can a caste be? Could I, for example, mod humans so that they have a 997/1000 chance to be normal, 1/1000 chance to hoot webs, 1/1000 chance to have really strong bones and claws, 1/1000 chance to fly and shoot lightning?

I think Toady said that there is a limit of 1,000 or maybe 10,000 castes, which is plenty of room. For the rarity though, no idea
You can set a caste to have an absurdly low rate of appearance.  I think white panthers are one-in-a-thousand in the next version, so everything you said there is doable. With rates that low, however, it's entirely possible that you'll generate a world without any of a given caste, especially if your culling unimportant historical figures.

That's quite alright. If I can tweak the rarity right, I should be able to give any given siege a even chance of having a mutant, which is what I want.

Nice subtle pop-culture reference, by the way. The only thing is, shouldn't the chances be more around one-in-six billion?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13037 on: February 24, 2010, 01:03:22 am »

Considering DF's pop levels, it's not too far off.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Variant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13038 on: February 24, 2010, 04:27:08 am »

On the topic of castes in the next version, will it be possible to have wild and domesticated versions of the same creature as different castes, with possible differences in size, demeanor, or abilities (such as presence of poison glands)?

If yes, will the domesticated and wild castes be able to interbreed?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13039 on: February 24, 2010, 04:36:18 am »

Yes to both, I think, as long as both castes are able to breed. (as in, none of them is genderless and they aren't both the same gender). I wonder if BUILDINGDESTROYER is also caste-level. Chance of "Dennis the menace", anyone?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13040 on: February 24, 2010, 04:59:57 am »

With the castes, Tyranids will be possible.

Very possible.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13041 on: February 24, 2010, 05:21:41 am »

With the castes, Tyranids will be possible.

Very possible.
Do it. Add art and it will be amazing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13042 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:28 am »

I wonder when will the ETHIC tags become caste-level...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13043 on: February 24, 2010, 06:41:11 am »

Probably never, as having civilisation-level tags at caste-level doesn't really make sense.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13044 on: February 24, 2010, 06:49:51 am »

But why IS it civ-level? Don't ethics only really belong to specific creature species? And even then, don't they vary greatly between individuals? Take goblins, for instance. The small fry could be murderous savages who don't care much about the lives of their kin. The more important goblins (orks? uruks? uruk-hai?) would still be murderous savages - except they would REALLY mind if you killed one of them.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13045 on: February 24, 2010, 07:26:45 am »

Probably never, as having civilisation-level tags at caste-level doesn't really make sense.

well ethics is cultural, not civ or species.  so while the current mechanics may have it at the civ level it doesn't really fit for either, i'd bet that once religions get thrown in that's when a shift would happen if at all.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13046 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:10 am »

I'm sure they'll shift to being culture-distinct when cultures are properly implimented as seperate from civilisations.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13047 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:32 am »

I asked that exact same question about 100 pages back. The answer is yep  :D  :D  :D

About what I ask or something else? I hope it is about my question?  ;D

it was yours, for me it was only a couple of pages or so.

thinking on the rarity thing, is it a flat chance or is it based on forming from a given chance?  an example would be something that had a 1/100 chance to appear (caste B) from caste A, but a 1/3 chance to appear from caste B (it own caste).  or what about caste B spawning a caste C at a rate of 1/3 instead, but never from caste A?
Maybe later but right now there's no way to do that.

On the topic of castes in the next version, will it be possible to have wild and domesticated versions of the same creature as different castes, with possible differences in size, demeanor, or abilities (such as presence of poison glands)?

If yes, will the domesticated and wild castes be able to interbreed?

Yes except for the domestication part. If it's been sent through the kennel then it's offspring are going to be friendly and if it hasn't they'll be hostile.

They can't stop giving birth to every available caste though so you'd have the floppy ears and friendly attitude version running around with the venomous one out in the wild.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13048 on: February 24, 2010, 08:26:32 am »

Actually, that opens up a neat possibility. There could be feral species out there with different qualities, but only some of them would have [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC], in addition to [trAINABLE]. Which means you could capture and "convert" one of the species' caste, and later have it give birth to the more valuable and usually non-tameable variants. Same could be used for dragons and drakes, for example. You could have certain species of stunted dragons that would be tameable, and then have them give birth to the regular kind.

This made me wonder what the hell would happen if you made a [PET] caste of, say, elves. Then traded a few [PET] elves and bred them to get "normal" ones. Would they still count as pets? I guess we have no choice but to wait and see.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13049 on: February 24, 2010, 10:07:58 am »

I wonder how well will work modding trolls as caste of goblins to make them appear in sieges. I have played many many forts, but have never had a siege bringing trolls.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1065